• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How can I give my reader goosebumps?

“Suddenly! The slimy, green monster stands in front of me. I …” This is an awful example of a scary scene. I mean the style, not the scene itself. You can create an awesome scene with a slimy, green monster, too. But that’s not the point. I want to ask you how to write a scary scene that the reader’s body starts to shiver. How do I do that? How is the reader frightened while he/she reads? (And I mean, a little bit horror is always good.)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Begin first with a character I care about. Build up the suspense, let me see that they are moving into peril, and don't know it, or are unprepared. Set the scene up with previous scenes showing me that this can and will mostly likely end badly. Keep them unknowing about the true nature of the danger, and bring out the thing in a way that overpowers all they thought they knew about it...and then get ready for the next victim.

goldhawk

Troubadour
The scariest thing is the fear of the unknown. Slimy, green monsters are not scary. Horribly-mangled bodies covered with green slime are. Give just enough detail so the readers' imaginations run wild. Keep your monsters in the dark.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Use vague details to describe the scene. What makes being in the dark so scary is the lack of information for our sense. Treat the scene the same way. Don't give the reader precise information about how things look, make sounds come from unknown locations, have smells remind them of something bad. Where you should be precise is in how the characters feel about the situation. Describe their faster heartbeats, breathing rapidly, hairs on their arm standing on end, moving with hesitation. Describe their fear without saying they're afraid. think of watching a suspense movie and how the characters never have to say "I'm scared" for you to know how they feel.