• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do you design a Creation myth for a world religion?

Erebus

Troubadour
This setting follows a religion in which god, originally a perfect entity and the seat of human consciousness, split himself into two separate beings and reincarnate into mortal forms. These two beings would be the primogenitors of the human race, each possessing half of god's original qualities and attributes and explaining the sexual dimorphism in our species. We are, in a sense, demigods due to having a piece of god in each of us. In the end of days, god will reform into one perfect entity once again in a rapture-like event. We as humans will transcend our mortal bodies, becoming divine once again and become one with the human consciousness.

Only God can create new life, and both man and woman possess a metaphysical key inside them that can power that ability. When those separate keys unite, they can unlock the gate where God resides and access that potential. This is how new souls are born and brought into the world. This is what I have so far. What else is needed to make this work?

Usurper

Dreamer
Depends on how far you're willing to take it. You could literally take what you have and say you're done, or go on forever with esoteric trivia.

ScaryMJDiamcreep

Troubadour
I feel like with this, each child born would have to draw from a pool of the god's essence, and each death would return the essence that person had back into this pool, so there would have to be a fraction of the god's essence left in that pool after the original split, and there would be a population where the essence is spread too thin and your rapture event would trigger. My main problem with giving an answer for this is that I really try to avoid dealing with religion as much as possible.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
What do you mean by "make it work?"

The only place an idea needs to get sold is within the confines of a story. So, it's really up to the author to make it work. How do you plan to use this in a story?

elemtilas

Inkling
This setting follows a religion in which god, originally a perfect entity and the seat of human consciousness, split himself into two separate beings and reincarnate into mortal forms. These two beings would be the primogenitors of the human race, each possessing half of god's original qualities and attributes and explaining the sexual dimorphism in our species. We are, in a sense, demigods due to having a piece of god in each of us. In the end of days, god will reform into one perfect entity once again in a rapture-like event. We as humans will transcend our mortal bodies, becoming divine once again and become one with the human consciousness.

Only God can create new life, and both man and woman possess a metaphysical key inside them that can power that ability. When those separate keys unite, they can unlock the gate where God resides and access that potential. This is how new souls are born and brought into the world. This is what I have so far. What else is needed to make this work?

Looks like you've got all the elements of a good story here. Just pour em all in a pot, stir, bake & enjoy!

It helps to start these things with an appropriate opener --- in the beginning... --- when on high... --- and go from there. You've already got some interesting ideas. More might make for a longer myth, but it's up to you how far along you want this one to go. I'd say you don't really need more to make it work.

Only suggestion I'd offer is to nix any kind of modern political or scientific terminology that might creep in. "Sexual dimorphism in the species"...just no. Look back to the old myths: When on high the One became Two...perfection unified yielded perfection twofold...female he made them and male...when the two become one, the Deeping Sea overflows...lo there rises from the waters as upon the fanned scallop, Beauty and Love infleshed...and she came between the woman and the man, the daughter of Man, the daughter of God.