• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Questions about fantasy weapons and weapon design

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Edge geometry is fun. I have a pair of period axes from the Carpathian Mountains region, circa 1700's. These are NOT for chopping wood and would never be mistaken for that intent, LOL. They would be about as useful for clearing branches as a sword, meaning functional but not ideal. They are meant to cut flesh, be it wolf or human. The butts screw off to reveal sharp as shit spikes which are useful for climbing an icy slope as well as puncturing light armor. Their weight is also a dead giveaway. Folks who've spent decades working with various weapons are impressed with how light they are. They are speed weapons intended for unarmored or lightly armored opponents... most likely peasantry who got out of line, heh heh.

Aldarion

Archmage
If s hard to find anything definitive about it. Apparently our army thinks its not good for stopping bullets. But thats not the same as arrows and swords. I am not sure a pre-gunpowder age could even make it.
Probably not. Doesn't titanium require electricity to be made in large quantities?

EDIT: Yes it does:

EDIT2: It seems however that there is non-electrical process, but even that was developed in 1910:

Nighty_Knight

Troubadour
I am not so certain, because flexibility is actually a large part of how the breast plate protects the wearer. So if titanium is less flexible than steel, that might have negative consequences.
Titanium is great for breast plate. I know a few who wear titanium armor for Buhurt. I am planning on getting titanium brigandine myself, due to it being much lighter than tempered steel. Another benefit of titanium is it doesn't rust. For helmets it's not as good. This is due to being lighter, so it absorbs shock less, making concussive hits more likely.

Last edited: