• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How Is Your World Like?

TurtleCat

New Member
(First actual thread on this site :D)
My personal paracosm (FYI, it's a detailed imaginary world that some people have and that it may incorporate real world or imaginary characters) is a High Fantasy setting inhabitated mainly by non-humanoid creatures (it opens some interesting possibilities culture-wise), some of which are pretty well-known already, like Gryphons and Phoenixes (with their own twists in characterization, of course). However, I am trying to develop some original creatures too (I love poison dart frogs too much to not to create something based on them), it gives the whole thing more depth and richness.
And you, how is your world like?
 

Romy

Troubadour
Mostly people being people (in good and bad) an "admin guild" that is somewhat based on itil and other ICT type madness (how I deal with the real world), living together in harmony (not if I can help it) with trolls.
Trolls being the main fantasy element, not your average stone blunt forces but building their culture and subspecies is the challenge/fun bit. Human like Kiesels out of marble, more storytypical Kassei doing grunt work, considered slow and dumb by human standards but in troll world 'slow' is better and extremely good at ballistic calculations, fast is 'young, childish, impulsive...', playful Bikkels that are basically ammo with a childlike attitude... up to the mountains being sort of a troll godlike creatures.
Still a lot of work and a challenge to translate the atmosphere into text.
 
My world is high fantasy 'kissed' by technology that takes place literally ages after OG "humanity" has fallen.

And by ages I mean actual ages (I think there was a second ice age at some point) magic is an actual thing now and cultures have all kind of reset/adapted to this.

At this point in time, the plot is about 'humanizing' or demystifying these godly or even sub godly characters as 'just people'

While it is character driven and a comedy at heart, the plot takes itself seriously when it needs to. Although the characters are still very 'anime' and what I mean by that is easier to tell when you read it.
 

GreenQuill

New Member
I'm working on my first project and have settled for standard medieval-type setting. I know it's a little generic but I thought it would be a good startup container to focus more on character and plot. There is always an opportunity to make things a little weirder... 😁
 
I'm working on my first project and have settled for standard medieval-type setting. I know it's a little generic but I thought it would be a good startup container to focus more on character and plot. There is always an opportunity to make things a little weirder... 😁
I may sound like a silly but honestly I'd prefer a little 'well done' (but slightly) generic over 'jangly keys' fancy stuff done poorly.
Star Wars and Pokemon are still mega popular for a reason.
You have no idea how many MMO games I've tried and dropped within the first day or so worth of playing. All because they went too far with the nonsense out the gate.
 

ThrillhoBaggins

Troubadour
All of my stories have a party because they are all D&D settings. I don't usually do many single player things, but I guess I could easily turn them into a one player game if that really interested somebody.
 

Gurkhal

Auror
My worlds tend to be low fantasy and with mostly humans. I have yet to find a task in my stories where a non-human can't be replaced by a, to me, more reliable human character.
 
Top