• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How Long Does it Take you to Write a Novel?

A.F.Grappin

Dreamer
Honestly, I've discovered that for me, the writing has turned into the easy part. But I am a serious outliner, and that process is the one that gives me the most trouble. I'm working on my outlining process almost continually, and it has recently made a huge leap in not taking me so long. It used to be that my outlines were huge and could easily be considered a sort of first draft. They were that detailed, time consuming, and inclusive. I'm getting past that now.

My first novella, Empeddigo, I actually WROTE in 9 days. It's everything else that takes time for me.

LucasHunt

Acolyte
1. It can take me anywhere from 6 months for an 85,000 word novel to 4 weeks for a 120,000 one. It depends on how much time I have to write, how much world building/plot-weaving/character development I have to focus on and my overall state of mind when approaching the project tin question.

2. Storytelling and writing is perhaps the least stressful thing I have in my life. However, when I'm not putting the proper time and effort into it, then yes, I do get stressed. This is something I want to make a career out of and I don't feel delusional (as one poster suggested of such desires), so when I don't put the proper time required to hone my craft I feel a bit empty at the end of the day/week/month.

3. Always traditional route.

4. I write the first book in a series and then move on. If an agent likes it, then good. If not, I keep plugging away.

5. The hardest part is re-reading portions you previously loved and discovering that they're just atrocious. For me, storytelling has always been the allure of writing, I'm not in love with syntax, grammar, punctuation or mechanics, I just like the product they lead to.