• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How Much Does Cover Art Cost

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Greetings All,

I am no where near finishing my first book, but I'm suddenly curious about the cost of great cover art. Anyone have any idea how much great cover art should cost? Also, when making cover art for ebooks, do the various outlets provide guidelines for the artwork?

Thanks

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
You could try elance. It's a site for free lancers who are looking for work.

Most of the people on Deviant Art aren't there to look for work, and the most talented artists you'll find tend to get a lot of requests. If you take the time to network, though, you might find someone.

I've seen people here talk about the price of professional cover art ranging from $100 to $250.

TWErvin2

Auror
It can cost zero to thousands of dollars. It would depend on the artist and their skill/talent and experience.

The artist who did my covers, working through my publisher, is Christine Griffin, but I know she does work not only with publishers but with self-published artists as well. My experience with her, both times she did cover art (my publisher did the titlework, but she can do that as well) was awesome, and I learned a lot about what goes into a cover by working with her.

Here's a link to view some of her work, and also her contact email: Christine Griffin

I came across her as she won an art compeition for the ezine I edit for, and suggested her to my publisher. And as has been said, Deviant Art is a good place to explore to find an artist as well.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Ankari,

I've got a couple of names of starving artists that will probably be pretty reasonable with price. They're friends of people in my writing group.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I'm sorry, I think I've confused everyone. I have an artist that has been rendering races for my universe. The question I have is, how much does one ask for cover art. Would an artist charge more for cover art as opposed to regular drawings. As I write this, I feel like I committed a brain fart.

Thanks all!

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I spent around $60 for my cover. I saw quotes ranging from $30 to well over $1000. It depends on the skill of the artist, and also where they have already made a name for themselves.

From what I looked at when shopping around for cover artists, I think you can expect to play anywhere from $60-$120 for a decent cover. The artists coming in below that were doing pretty bad work. Your guy seems to be pretty good, and it wouldn't surprise me to see such an artist asking $300-$400.

If you already have a rate you like, just get him to do a drawing you want for your cover at the agreed price, and then you can add the text elements yourself.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Your guy seems to be pretty good, and it wouldn't surprise me to see such an artist asking $300-$400.

If you already have a rate you like, just get him to do a drawing you want for your cover at the agreed price, and then you can add the text elements yourself.

I hope he doesn't become a member of these forums, as I'm apparently getting a steal on the artwork he's done for me so far.