• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How To Enter The Dream Strata

Hey all. Recently, I discovered a piece of music that - for me - does the the trick of transporting the mind into that ethereal dimension between waking and sleeping. It is called Weightless, by Marconi Union. From Wikipedia:

On 16 October 2011, Marconi Union created an eight-minute track, titled "Weightless", in collaboration with the British Academy of Sound Therapy.

According to scientists at the Mindlab institution (a commercial 'neuromarketing' company) it induced a 65% reduction in overall anxiety and brought test subjects' resting pulse rates to 35% of their usual resting rates. The song features guitar, piano and manipulated field recordings. It is punctuated throughout by low tones that supposedly induce a trance-like state. This piece propelled the band into the media spotlight and news reports, and was reported in newspapers worldwide.

In November 2011, Marconi Union were featured in Time magazine's list of Inventors of the Year, for writing and recording "Weightless". "Weightless" has been streamed more than twenty-three million times from Spotify alone, while various YouTube videos have been viewed millions of times making Weightless one of the most well known ambient tracks ever. In January 2017 it charted in the Billboard charts. Despite this, Marconi Union have consistently refused to be drawn into any debate about the scientific findings, preferring to discuss "Weightless" in purely aesthetic terms.

If you all want to dream, or just get super relaxed, check it out on your favorite music platform and give it a listen.

I suppose this could go under Chit Chat, but since it deals with dreams I will hazard to post it here.

Last edited:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Druid of Winter!

I am sorry for taking so long to reply to your thread. I have been re-learning the Moderation tricks now that we have upgraded from the old vBulletin to the new and state of the art XenForo. Also, my dreaming life has been a disaster for months already and I dedicate a lot of time to working on my Alice into Darkness story.

I remember you from several years ago, it's nice to see you back!

Well, I have already listened to Weightless and it did not have any special effect on me. We all are different, but I do understand why it can enhance dreams and deep relaxation in many people. Thanks for sharing! A song that used to cause that effect in me was Crucifixio by Lacrimosa, many years ago.

Now I'll go and post in my Dream and Story Ideas thread.