• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to Write Two Dark Characters

ShadeZ

Maester
I Googled faeries the other night after reading this thread. There does some to be a lot of cool mythology behind them. I alway grew up thinking of them like the 'pixy' type you mentioned earlier. It seems like its how elves can be very different depending on cultures, region and authors.
In Scottish mythology they are essentially magic in a pure form. The form that magic takes can vary wildly. Some "faeries" are goblins even. The old fae word for dark fae is imp which is a devilish fae, while dark fae are both beautiful and terrifying unlike traditional imps they are equally mischievous and love to play tricks on people, they always appreciate a good prank. This shows in the way Raven fights his enemies, he let's them think they've won all the while he has multiple aces up his sleeves. If they think they've won, it gives Raven an idea of how to treat them as he will know how they would have treated him if roles were reversed.

Azaraiha

Scribe
The first thing I would take note of is the world building which you've established. A person who is considered dark has a lot to do with the society and culture with which they live. What does the society deem as dark or morally questionable. What does the religion or spiritual authority deem as evil/immoral? You may already have a character that doesn't follow the norms of their society and from the perspective of the society is already dark.

Some of the most engaging dark characters in fiction didn't start off that way. Arthas from world of Warcraft did not suddenly become the lich King, he was led down the path to ultimately become the lich King based off of a noble and heroic desire to protect his people. You can gradually corrupt a character over the course of your story and the moral shortcuts the character cakes can be deemed as dark.

ShadeZ

Maester
The first thing I would take note of is the world building which you've established. A person who is considered dark has a lot to do with the society and culture with which they live. What does the society deem as dark or morally questionable. What does the religion or spiritual authority deem as evil/immoral? You may already have a character that doesn't follow the norms of their society and from the perspective of the society is already dark.

Some of the most engaging dark characters in fiction didn't start off that way. Arthas from world of Warcraft did not suddenly become the lich King, he was led down the path to ultimately become the lich King based off of a noble and heroic desire to protect his people. You can gradually corrupt a character over the course of your story and the moral shortcuts the character cakes can be deemed as dark.
"The path to hell is lined with good intentions" I'm reminded of this quote by your post regarding Arthas.