• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How would I portray a character differently through someone else's point of view?

Isnt that the best way?
For an opposites attract love story it is, no easier way to form tension (sexual and non sexual kind) than that, it almost feels like cheating. And in this case, they are quite literally opposites. (even down to their methods of thieving, he's a tech wizard and she's an actual wizard, ok, fox magic, still a wizard) But they do have certain quirks about eachother that boost the other one.

Eh the plot itself is simple, as in the premise, literally just two rival thieves fall in love. It is kinda hard to describe how they like eachother though.
It's absolutely one of those 'oh they like eachother, now they hate eachother, now they like eachother, oops one did something stupid and now they're mad at eachother again' kinda pairing. At least for a little while until they finally find common ground to stand on.
I think this is usually described as ‘enemies to lovers’ especially in YA circles, and yes can be on off

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
No one has done it better than Neil Simon. Watch The Odd Couple. Better yet, find a copy of the script for the play. You'll see not only the general approach but also specific techniques. He actually takes the convention and elevates it another layer, because Felix and Oscar start out as friends. But they're only friends over the poker table. Once they move in together, all their little foibles start to drive each other crazy. Simon is also smart enough to have some external events intrude, to crank up the tension further.

Anyway, it's damn funny. It was strong enough to go from play to movie to TV series, and succeed in all three.

I think this is usually described as ‘enemies to lovers’ especially in YA circles, and yes can be on off
hmm, isn't opposites attract kinda similar or am I wrong?
No one has done it better than Neil Simon. Watch The Odd Couple. Better yet, find a copy of the script for the play. You'll see not only the general approach but also specific techniques. He actually takes the convention and elevates it another layer, because Felix and Oscar start out as friends. But they're only friends over the poker table. Once they move in together, all their little foibles start to drive each other crazy. Simon is also smart enough to have some external events intrude, to crank up the tension further.

Anyway, it's damn funny. It was strong enough to go from play to movie to TV series, and succeed in all three.
that sounds like something I could take a peek at.

Arielcat

Minstrel

I remember all three.
Not really well, though, by now, because it's been a while.
(Good heavens, I suddenly can recall my aunt and uncle watching that show in their apartment in New York, and myself watching it on Nick at Nite.)
(They were an odd couple too. My aunt and uncle in New York, I mean. They didn't drive each other nearly as crazy as she drove the rest of us, though.)

I personally adore writing first person. Once you have squirmed under the skin of your protagonist/antagonist/observer, it is effectively very difficult to observe other than through his/her/its sences (Its? Oh yes, almost all of my dragon trilogy is in first person, the majority from a non-human POV) There are problems associated - skin squirming takes a long time, so the first few chapters featuring a particular character almost always have to be rewritten as one comes to be absorbed in it, and changing POV characters is slower tan a narrator's descriptions. Furthermore, not everyone likes first person,especially when it's not a person as such.

Still, I wonder if writing a first draft in First, and converting to third while transcribing might not accentuate the contrast, like an actor donnig a costume even for rehearsals.

L.L. Maurizi

Troubadour
Even when you're using you 3rd person narrating voice, you can use a tone that is typical of the character in the scene. Assuming there is an identifiable character who is the center of the scene, you can either narrate as the author, or narrate in such a way that implies the descriptions or perception of the scene is not that of the author, but that of the character.

My author voice, in fiction, is impartial. When I change tone (if fitting - can't be abused) it's clear that it's a character's thought or perception.

i.e. "Shannon followed with her eyes as Mark reached for another oily chip, like he didn't have enough that night."

In here, it is not the author's opinion that Mark had enough chips. It's Shannon's. This is an oversimplification but it can apply to virtually anything that reflects a character's thought, perception, bias, idea, language, etc.

Foxkeyes

Minstrel
The use of the unreliable character is normally for the reader's benefit. Eg. Does the reader believe a certain character or not? The unreliable narration is often what powers the plot. And mostly told in first person.

Perhaps the Shapeshifter archetype could suit your characters better. Both play hero roles. One plays a conventional hero's roles. The other is still a hero, but you make their character's motivations harder to pin down, leaving everyone (especially their 'buddy') questioning what their true motives are. Until the end, of course.

And maybe put the pair of them in a tricky situation that they're both unfamiliar with. That way, there will be two opposing viewpoints focused on figuring out the problem. This is a perfect recipe for wonderful conflict. To solve the problem, each character needs to accept a positive change in their worldview. This leads to mutual respect, which is what love is built on.

It may also be an idea to have both characters hating how their buddy 'thinks' in certain ways instead of hating them personally. Personal hatred is hard to remedy.