• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Humor in Your Writing

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
It's something of an old saying isn't it; "The exception that confirms the rule." - Exception that proves the rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Specifically under the heading "Serious Nonsense". I was being a bit silly.
Edit: Jocular Nonsense is probably more correct - either way, I wasn't entirely serious.

I thought it was usually something you would say because there was something contradictory about my post, like that because I said it needed editing, it undermined my confidence in its funny.

But this isn't really a conversation I want to take very far. I just wanted to make the point that with a little practice and feedback, people can be just as confident with their humor as they are with anything else.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
If you look at short story markets they all say they want comedy, but I think it's because they have to reject almost everything they get. Comedy is hard.

Yeah. I agree Devor. I think it's hard to do well & takes a lot of experience to recognize the right timing, as others have said. I also, think it's one aspect that can define a really good writer. It's another entertainment tool, an extremely effective tool, albeit a difficult one to master.

I'm wondering if I spend part of my normal revision process, looking for humorous potential, what kind of impact that step would have.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
As an aside, I think it's telling that pretty much everyone in this thread has put some emphasis on how they're trying or attempting to put some funny in their stories. No one really came straight out and said "I did this and it's funny". I think it's sort of indicative of how tricky it can really be (and of how silly you feel when someone doesn't get your clever jokes).
Exactly Svrtnsse. It's extremely tricky, maybe even subjective to the writer which makes it more difficult to quantify...the kinds of methods some employ but don't think on consciously.

I'm going to start putting together a list of techniques for my own practice writings. I'll post them when compiled.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Yep, yep. Let's not stray too far from the original topic. I didn't intend to derail the thread it was more of a comment on how difficult humor is (or is perceived to be).

Someone else who does humor well is Jim Butcher. In his Harry Dresden series. The situations Harry end up in aren't necessarily funny, but Harry's internal monologue in reaction to these situations make them funny. It's not something I really thought about in detail when I've read it, but I remember it from reading them. My overall impression is that they're funny in between all the horrible bad stuff that goes down.

Ruby

Auror
Just out of interest, has anyone ever set a specific comedy genre challenge on Mythic Scribes? Imagine judging that: now that would be funny!

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Just out of interest, has anyone ever set a specific comedy genre challenge on Mythic Scribes? Imagine judging that: now that would be funny!

Someone should start one, but not for a few weeks. There's two happening right now - Iron Pen XIII and Phil's Chaotic Shiny Challenge.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
The Chaotic Shiny one can definitely be comedy based. The concepts are so insane that it's begging for people to try their hand at a bit of comedy. I would also obviously love for people to tackle it in a rather straightforward way, which would probably be easier.

I'm a big advocate of comedy and most of my challenge entries have been pretty light-hearted. I don't read a lot of comic fantasy, although I want to do so more. I think after I finish my huge pile of books, I want to really get into early Piers Anthony, Terry Pratchett, Robert Aspirin, and some others I've found.

Ruby

Auror
Someone should start one, but not for a few weeks. There's two happening right now - Iron Pen XIII and Phil's Chaotic Shiny Challenge.
Hi Devor,

Do you have to be a Moderator to start a Challenge, or can anyone start one?

Ruby

Auror
The Chaotic Shiny one can definitely be comedy based. The concepts are so insane that it's begging for people to try their hand at a bit of comedy. I would also obviously love for people to tackle it in a rather straightforward way, which would probably be easier.

I'm a big advocate of comedy and most of my challenge entries have been pretty light-hearted. I don't read a lot of comic fantasy, although I want to do so more. I think after I finish my huge pile of books, I want to really get into early Piers Anthony, Terry Pratchett, Robert Aspirin, and some others I've found.
Hi Phil,

Your challenge looks interesting but I'm committed to Campnano and the WIPs. Although, I might have a go...

I've just started reading a Terry Pratchett book, as someone told me one of my stories had a vibe similar to his. I must admit, I've never been able to get into his books, for some reason. I'm determined to finish this one, though.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Just found this...

Funny_zpsd12be97a.jpg

Ruby

Auror
Okay, maybe we should all name books we've read that have made us laugh out loud and embarrass ourselves in public places. I can think of a few, but none of them are of the Fantasy genre.

For me, some examples would be: Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome; Shopaholic and other chic lit books by Sophie Kinsella; The Adrian Mole books by Sue Townsend.

At the moment in the UK the most popular books that I see children reading are: The Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series; The Horrid Henry books by Francesca Simon, and books by David Walliams, all of which are humorous.

Last edited:

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
In our genre we have Tanya Huff and Sherrilyn Kenyon (Kenyon mostly writes paranormal romance but I would argue that, given the richness of her worlds and overarching, interconnected plots, she actually straddles the genre lines). Both writers are known for their humorous dialogue. I personally pay a lot of attention to their work.

And, of course, there's Joss Whedon.