• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hunger Games and other film adaptations

Actually, she based her story idea off of the myth of Theseus and the Minotaur; the Minotaur is the government.

I can see that. I think her story is different enough from Battle Royale to not be confused for each other, but if you boil them wayyy down to their core, then its kids being forced to kill kids. From everything I've seen on Battle Royale, it looks to be the better, but I will reserve judgement until I get a chance to check it out. I have a suspicion that it will be violence for violence's sake in which case I probably would prefer Hunger Games...and I already said what I thought about that.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I've seen Battle Royale and I don't think it's violence for violence sake. There is plenty of violence, but I think the story that is interwoven throughout is pretty good. I personally (having seen both movies) think Hunger Games is the more character driven of the two, while Battle Royale relies more on the concept. The characters are all symbolic of something in Battle Royale I think. It also shows how junior high can be a brutal time in a young teen's life with all the politics and back-stabbing.

Kaellpae

Inkling
Harry potter: big fan of the books. The movies, eh. Not so much. As movies the 3rd to the 8th are the best. As adaptations the first two are best. They were short enough to not completely butcher the story or spirit of the novel.

Hunger games: I've been told multiple times how good the novel and movie are. I read a summary of the series and didn't like what I read for plot for the second and third, so I won't be reading the books. I watched the movie, and was bored until they started training. Then they started the games and I was bored again. Most of the reason I watched the movie was for Woody.

Twilight: ugh. Heard so much bad stuff about the novels, and I watched the first two movies and was bored out of my mind. Mostly watched it for Cedric. The girl in the movie seemed to be more of a zombie than human. So she's the real monster. As for good things I've heard about twilight. Usually the arguments written for it are so badly punctuated and spelled that I can't even begin to want to look at the books.

LOTR: I like the movies and the books are on my reading list. I tried the Hobbit many years ago so I could read it chronologically, but it was so dry that I couldn't make it through the first couple chapters. I'm older and more into fantasy now, so I'll give it another chance.

Narnia: I liked the old movies, and I like the newer ones. I bought the book collection and read them all. They start out strong and with each book they spiral further and further into Christian/religious propaganda. Good stories, but didn't enjoy the series ending with everyone dying/rapturing.

Series I want made into movies and shows? Wheel of Time, Dark Tower Series, and Odd Thomas. Those are off the top of my head.

Last Harry Potter related note: if they made a television series/cartoon to effectively show all the subplots and have Peeves. I would be ecstatic. Just from the book and animate it. Have Harry narrate it so it'd be even closer to the books. That's my dream. I think a lot of book series would benefit from that type of conversion. Animation is a lot easier to age the characters corrrectly. McGonagall looked almost dead in the last movie. I know the actress was going through a bout of breast cancer, and I'm glad she pulled through, but you wouldn't have that problem with a cartoon.

End rant.