• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I am struggling to find alternatives to Wingdings/Lucida for commercial use.

At this point I might just give up and use Wingdings/Lucida. The Keyword here is Commercial use. I want to be able to use the font in my story and be able to sell said story without issue.

All of my google searches have yielded nothing of value.

(I am specifically looking for symbols and stuff, similar to dingbat type faces like wingdings)

Insolent Lad

Maester
There are a vast number of open license symbols/wingdings out there. Some examples can be found on Google Fonts. There's one in the URW++ Ghostscript bundle (the self-publisher's typeface starter kit). There is QT Dingbits. There are a very large number of Manfred Klein offerings from the early days of amateur digital typography. Loads more. I've accumulated quite a few myself over the years and all free to use for commercial work.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
At this point I might just give up and use Wingdings/Lucida. The Keyword here is Commercial use. I want to be able to use the font in my story and be able to sell said story without issue.

All of my google searches have yielded nothing of value.

(I am specifically looking for symbols and stuff, similar to dingbat type faces like wingdings)

Well...I thought it might be pretty easy to find that Wingdings was free for commercial use, but I see no clear language that it is. I suspect MS cares more about its distribution than use--such that apple cant use it in their OS with out making a deal with MS. But...Here is MS's licensing page. Might be best to avoid them.

I think it might be true that if you have a paid version of office, you have commercial use license for everything that comes of it.

Wingdings License

pmmg

Myth Weaver
After more searching, I found this answer on Microsofts website.

Microsoft Fonts

Can I sell things I print from Windows or make using these printouts, say a book, logo, advertisement, report, t-shirt, or crafts that use fonts that come with Windows?

Unless you are using an application that is specifically licensed for home, student, or non-commercial use, we do not restrict you from selling the things you print and make using the Windows-supplied fonts.

ReJaymes

Acolyte
DaFont.com

This is my go to site for fonts. After you find a style you like, go under "more options" and select 100% free. The public domain option should auto-select as well. I've never had a problem downloading or installing any file either.