• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I Had the Strangest Dream

ApaCisare

Scribe
I'm no stranger to weird dreams, but this has to be one of the most unusual I've had in while.
In my dream, I saw a gathering of the government of the People's Republic of China in a large congress or parliamentary hall. It was decorated in the colours of the Communist party--red and yellow.
The room was packed as if the entire inner party had shown up for something important. Men and women in business suits sat with their phones and notepads at the ready. Clearly, something important was about to happen.
Then, from behind the massive red curtains draped over the back of the stage, a polar bear, walking on its hind legs strolled towards the central podium.
The audience instantly rose to their feet, applauding the great white bear as it approached the podium, smiles on all of their faces. The polar bear nodded in acknowledgment at his audience several times, the round spectacles at the end of his nose bouncing slightly with each movement.
When the noise had finally faded into silence, the bear began to speak from some notes he had placed on the podium before him. I remember seeing the microphone in front of his mouth as he gave his address with the body language and tone of a skilled public speaker.
I don't know what he said, nor if he spoke in Chinese or English, but that he seemed to be giving something akin to a state of the nation address. As soon as I saw him I knew he was the leader of China. And it seemed as if he was immensely popular, and that he was aware of the fact and was proud of it.
I have absolutely no idea how this dream came to me.
I am trying to learn Chinese at the moment, but there was no instance of the spoken language actually being used in my dream. I also have no idea what on earth the polar bear was about. I mean, as crazy as the idea of an anthropomorphic animal leading a nation is, if one were to be the leader of China, wouldn't a panda be more fitting for the role than a polar bear?
What in my subconscious brought these images together is a mystery to me. It's not like I've been watching or reading anything about Chinese politics or polar bears recently. The only thing I can think of was a news article about North Korea's Kim Jong Un being in Beijing but there were not pictures of a parliamentary hall to go with the article.
So there you have it, my strange dream. Make of it what you will, I hope there's an opportunity for a good story in there somewhere!