• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I Just Got Shot (More or Less), AMA

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Yeah, that's some nervous shit. I was being stupid once, and a jam hot fired on me in a piece of shit 9mm. Now, I didn't have it pointed in a dangerous direction, but that was more habit than smarts. There was a reason a guy once said he didn't want the TEC-9 outlawed because if a gang was shooting at him, he wanted them to be shooting that junk.
No joke. Much higher and it would've hit my throat, and cancel Christmas.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Frame the glove.
I had a set of >$100 tacti-cool, Kevlar-weave, hard-knuckle shooting gloves on. I'd likely have lost the finger otherwise. As it is, it's a maraca from the second knuckle down. A couple weeks to bring the swelling down, then surgery.

Malik

Auror
Yeah, that's some nervous shit.
There is some serious PTSD going on. (Had it going into this; I was briefly killed downrange some years back.) Never thought of myself as the type to get "triggered," but goddamn. I was totally cool, called a halt to the range, self-applied medical from my war belt. My heart rate was barely up at the ER. Woke up the next morning and my hands haven't stopped shaking since. Funny thing, the body.

Gotta rewrite some shit in this next book. Again.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Briefly killed? I had a friend drop dead at LAX bleeding from every orifice, and they brought him back. A few minutes earlier on the plane, and he woulda been dead dead. A tattoo he got in the navy tried to klil him with Hep-C.

Malik

Auror
I went down with heatstroke and rhabdo on a, uh--ahem--exercise, ahem--flatlined on the chopper with massive organ failure, came back because F*ck You, and spent a week in a coma. (Full, feature-length NDE and while this isn't the place for that, yes, it was awesome. Excited to go back some day. But as the man says, Today is not that day.)

I was able to write the big death scene in The New Magic from firsthand experience, though. BTDT.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Just gonna say, if was in the army and no NDE’s and no getting shot. Seems my angel was working harder.

Had a whole window frame fall out of a building and smash all over me once in fort dix, but not even a scratch. It fell from six stories up.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I did burn my hand once coming to attention after a firing exercise. Guess what, those barrels are still hot.

Malik

Auror
I seem to recall that some of those army cadences had lines about going to heaven (or hell) and saying fuck you, im going back, so….. good job 👍
I am WAY too mean to die.

My unit was told I died--they sent the Chaplain and the rear-detachment Executive Officer to deliver the news to my wife, and that was fun--and when they got the word like a week later that I was alive, my whole team was like, "of course he is."

Six months later, I scored a perfect 300 on the PT test and shot a 38/40, and they mobilized me again.

Plinto

Dreamer
l
I went down with heatstroke and rhabdo on a, uh--ahem--exercise, ahem--flatlined on the chopper with massive organ failure, came back because F*ck You, and spent a week in a coma. (Full, feature-length NDE and while this isn't the place for that, yes, it was awesome. Excited to go back some day. But as the man says, Today is not that day.)

I was able to write the big death scene in The New Magic from firsthand experience, though. BTDT.
Lets hear about that NDE if you don't mind. Here or in another thread or whatever. Our household has been learning about them of late. Had to ask. Totally understand if you don't wanna though.

Malik

Auror
l

Lets hear about that NDE if you don't mind. Here or in another thread or whatever. Our household has been learning about them of late. Had to ask. Totally understand if you don't wanna though.
I don't want to spare the ink and I'm currently working it into a new book, so, respectfully, no. But I will tell you it's beautiful, and there's nothing in this life to worry about.

Malik

Auror
Just gonna say, if was in the army and no NDE’s and no getting shot. Seems my angel was working harder.

Had a whole window frame fall out of a building and smash all over me once in fort dix, but not even a scratch. It fell from six stories up.
I have the feeling my guardian angel drinks as hard as I do.

Also, damn. Your angel needs to give mine some pointers.

Plinto

Dreamer
I don't want to spare the ink and I'm currently working it into a new book, so, respectfully, no. But I will tell you it's beautiful, and there's nothing in this life to worry about.
Yeah that's the general consensus of many NDE'ers. Thanks anyway. Lookin forward to dyin someday.