• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I need help conceptualizing a writing space

No it doesn't. Writing is about self-discipline, certainly when you get to the point of having a deadline to meet irrespective of whether that is a time by which the orders must go out or whether it is a contractual publishers deadline by when your manuscript has got to be in. Learning that self-discipline is hard, very hard. But it can be done - and doing so is largely about personal motivation. It's like everything else we do as writers - it's all about practice.

Looked at another way, in some ways that sort of self-disciplined writing focus is the opposite of what we aim for with mindfulness. Both are useful skills - and both need practice, they don't happen by themselves.
You’re bootstrapping - ‘just be more disciplined’, ‘discipline is hard, and doesn’t happen by itself’. I understand where you’re coming from because it’s something you’ve obviously gotten used to as the norm, but it’s not empathetic. You’re basically suggesting that the OP isn’t trying hard enough to block the distracting environment out, which negates the point of the post from my perspective.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Writing is a test of endurance. We all have to find what works for us, and a lot of times in order to do that, we have to go through everything that doesn't work for us until there's only one thing left. To me, it's like a guessing game with a million options, but at the same time, you have a million guesses, with the very likely chance that you'll only guess right on the one millionth try. Not everyone has the endurance to do that.

IMHO, one of the things everyone has to understand about themselves and writing is what are your personal goals for your writing? Is this just a hobby, where everything you write is more or less just for you and just ends up in a drawer after you've had your fun? Or, do you want to push it further and one day have it be your job?

Understanding this will help put you in the right mindset and help you find what works for you. Treating a hobby like it's life and death and beating yourself up about it probably isn't a good mental state to be in. On the other hand, treating something you want to be your profession like it's hobby, probably isn't a good mindset either. Sure a hobby can lead to something bigger, but this is about mindset, not end results.

Having proper expectations and mindset will keep you from feeling miserable about what you have or haven't achieved.

I remember listening to an episode of Writing Excuses with Brandon Sanderson. His co-hosts were poking fun at him because he made the comment of how hard it was in comparison to how it used to be for him because he was travelling around to cons and various places as part of his job. Oh poor Brandon, guest of honor at a con. But from a writing perspective it was hard. He still had to write to a deadline away from the creature comforts of home.

I imagine it to be like if someone had shy bowels and had to travel as part of the job. Taking poops in hotel rooms must be a nightmare. And the thought of just holding it for the next week or so must be a serious consideration.

Mad Swede

Auror
You’re bootstrapping - ‘just be more disciplined’, ‘discipline is hard, and doesn’t happen by itself’. I understand where you’re coming from because it’s something you’ve obviously gotten used to as the norm, but it’s not empathetic. You’re basically suggesting that the OP isn’t trying hard enough to block the distracting environment out, which negates the point of the post from my perspective.
No I'm not. I wrote that this sort of self-discipline is about motivation. Or, as Penpilot put it, asking yourself why you are writing. I didn't want to put it quite as bluntly as that, because it can be taken to imply that someone isn't being serious and I didn't mean it like that nor did I intend to imply that. But is an important question to ask.

If your writing is a hobby then yes, finding someplace quiet might be what works because there won't be many (if any) of those deadlines. You can be picky about where and when you write. If you don't feel like writing then you don't write. After all, it's a hobby, not the be all and end all of the world.

But if you hope to make your writing a profession and/or if you get a publishing contract then you have to learn to write wherever you are, because you will almost certainly find yourself in situations where that contractual deadline is almost on top of you and you haven't quite finished. I know, I've been there with my first book - and it was the discipline I'd learnt in the army which saved me (and a couple of all-nighters).

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I'm working on my new office. Here's an under-construction shot. Okay okay, my office is pretty much wherever I plop my butt with the laptop. When I'm in the zone I can write with children bouncing balls off my head... When I'm not in the zone, it requires headphones and zen music, and maybe my isolation booth... AKA audiobook recording booth.

It's 1 part discipline, 1 part confidence in your writing, 1 part finding what works for you, and probably several other parts.

Writer%27s+Office.jpg

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I'm working on my new office. Here's an under-construction shot. Okay okay, my office is pretty much wherever I plop my butt with the laptop. When I'm in the zone I can write with children bouncing balls off my head... When I'm not in the zone, it requires headphones and zen music, and maybe my isolation booth... AKA audiobook recording booth.

It's 1 part discipline, 1 part confidence in your writing, 1 part finding what works for you, and probably several other parts.

Writer%27s+Office.jpg
You've well and truly managed to make your new office feel open through your minimalist usage of walls. The inclusion of natural light makes the room feel large.

:p

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
These two are probably going to be more decorative with Russian Sage and other perennials, while out of the picture, there will be two more with lettuce and kale. This is the wife's playground, I'm just the slave labor... I mean poorly compensated hired help, heh heh. So, I know limited details.

These two are probably going to be more decorative with Russian Sage and other perennials, while out of the picture, there will be two more with lettuce and kale. This is the wife's playground, I'm just the slave labor... I mean poorly compensated hired help, heh heh. So, I know limited details.
Sounds good 👍🏻

Over here we have to net all brassicas otherwise they get munched! Mediterranean herbs are a good bet for raised beds.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Eeyeah, I suspect netting will be in use. There's always something that wants to make a meal of stuff. The main thing is to get them closer to the house so it's easier to keep an eye on... plus, a shorter walk to nab munchies, LOL.

Sounds good 👍🏻

Over here we have to net all brassicas otherwise they get munched! Mediterranean herbs are a good bet for raised beds.