• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I need some serious help with my martial arts fantasy story

Solusandra

Troubadour
would the dragon motif still make sense if it was not Chinese?
given how much Japanese mythology is altered copies of Chinese mythology, yes, it would still make sense.
So these spirits themselves would not be actual supernatural powers but just represent a form of change, showing the progression and knowledge gained? I originally planned that the drug pharma companies and tournament sponsor would want to get a hold of the MC's powers and so would his former evil mentor the bad vet teacher, after he discovers the MC's powers as well.
Not knowing what you intended I had imagined that it would be like animal totems often used in various levels of fantasy. The bestial representation of the users soul. Having the spirits be superpowers in their own right is perfectly fine and not something I was opposing. My take on it was; whatever the MC's totem may have been originally, his training with the Vet ensured it would manifest as a snake, and the training by the Japanese masters daughter redeems that snake into a dragon.

As for the big pharma angle, it'd be amusing to see them try to get something chemical out of a spiritual effect. Had you been interested in leaning into Xianxia, or even higher fantasy levels of chop-sockey and Wuxia, there are quite a lot of medical-mystical legends that get used (and abused) by the genre, so there they might have actually been able to get something.
Maybe the evil bad vet teacher could represent a mix of snakes and the darkness/destruction side of dragons?
poison, specifically.

Destructive Yin is poison and rot, undermining and smothering everything it touches.
Destructive Yang is Fire and force, unyielding, harsh and judgemental.

Protective Yin is darkness and evasion, the motion of air and water.
Protective Yang is strength and healing, often represented as banked steady fire or steel.
Is it okay that the new good guy mentor would be in his late 70's, early 80's and the MC being in his 50's? Considering this story will take place somewhere in the 2030's-40's.
even if it were taking place earlier, yeah, it'd be fine for an instructor to be old. Fighters is where it gets weird, outside of magical settings.
Is this entire premise plausible enough that a 50 something year old MC would be taking on younger fighters in matches?
depends on how much younger, there are rules in a lot of fighting organizations. You could probably get those waved believably if a couple of medical exams proved him fit to take a beating; which the magical aspect should take care of pretty well.
And is it plausible enough that the good guy old mentor was a hippie teen/kid in the 1960's, where he ended up in Japan, where he met his master who was Japanese?
can't see any problems with that.

Last edited:

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
whatever the MC's totem may have been originally, his training with the Vet ensured it would manifest as a snake, and the training by the Japanese masters daughter redeems that snake into a dragon.

If this was the case, would it make sense if the MC and only certain people had this totem/supernatural ability in them, which makes them special? As opposed to just every human being happens to carry this in them?

And are you suggesting that the MC's good mentor being a Japanese woman? Or the good master's daughter is the one who happens to help redeem the MC from snake to dragon?

As for the big pharma angle, it'd be amusing to see them try to get something chemical out of a spiritual effect. Had you been interested in leaning into Xianxia, or even higher fantasy levels of chop-sockey and Wuxia, there are quite a lot of medical-mystical legends that get used (and abused) by the genre, so there they might have actually been able to get something.

I actually had an idea like this where the pharma company and the bad vet try to obtain that spiritual essence and convert the chemical for the drugs. I don't know enough about Xianxia, Wuxia and Chop-Sockey but I can look them up. The thing is thst is specifically Chinese? The MC learns Japanese arts from the good master mentor. And technically his original school with the bad vet was a hybrid mix of martial art styles ranging from Chinese/Japanese/military style fighting. Kind of a mix of Chinese Kenpo.

poison, specifically.

Destructive Yin is poison and rot, undermining and smothering everything it touches.
Destructive Yang is Fire and force, unyielding, harsh and judgemental.

Protective Yin is darkness and evasion, the motion of air and water.
Protective Yang is strength and healing, often represented as banked steady fire or steel.

Got it :)

depends on how much younger, there are rules in a lot of fighting organizations. You could probably get those waved believably if a couple of medical exams proved him fit to take a beating; which the magical aspect should take care of pretty well.

If he had the animal supernatural abilities combined with the drugs should help a lot? And look youthful but not too youthful.

Solusandra

Troubadour
I don't know enough about Xianxia, Wuxia and Chop-Sockey but I can look them up.
Chop-sockey are cheezy kung fu flicks from the like of Jet Lee, Jackie Chan and Chung Pao Fat. They range from kung-fu/rocky balboa to Bulletproof Monk, Ip Man, Enter the Dragon and such.
Wuxia are more classical mystic kung fu; Iron Monkey, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Heaven Sword Dragon Saber, Touch of Zen, stuff like that. Think of it as the Lord of the Rings of asian entertainment.
Xianxia are asian high fantasy; Tales of Demons and Gods, Journey to the West, I Shall Seal the Heavens, Unsouled. Xianxia are the marvel cinematic universe of asian entertainment.

What you've described so far is chop-sockey, mostly, with hints of the other two.
If this was the case, would it make sense if the MC and only certain people had this totem/supernatural ability in them, which makes them special? As opposed to just every human being happens to carry this in them?
You can make it special if you want, no one would object.
Typically though, the special-ness is in your drive to go out and find the master who can teach you and your willingness to go through the excessively brutal and introspective training rather than you yourself, but that's a difference between eastern superheroes and western superheroes.
And are you suggesting that the MC's good mentor being a Japanese woman?
I was saying his daughter was.
I actually had an idea like this where the pharma company and the bad vet try to obtain that spiritual essence and convert the chemical for the drugs.
That is a common theme in Xianxia, yes. In chop-sockey and Wuxia it's more the other way around, drugs that give you temporary mystic boosts. Xianxia, mystic essence is collected from the land, plants, people and beasts and forged into drugs you take to increase your power.

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
What you've described so far is chop-sockey, mostly, with hints of the other two.

Ahh now I get it. But that is something I don't want my story turning into which is Chop-Sockey :(

the special-ness is in your drive to go out and find the master who can teach you and your willingness to go through the excessively brutal and introspective training rather than you yourself,

This is morevwhstvi eant for my MC. Snd the good master finds him after hearing the news how the MC saved those victims on the street.

I was saying his daughter was.

My mistake. Now I got it :)

That is a common theme in Xianxia, yes. In chop-sockey and Wuxia it's more the other way around, drugs that give you temporary mystic boosts. Xianxia, mystic essence is collected from the land, plants, people and beasts and forged into drugs you take to increase your power.

So I can mix this all in even if it has Japanese themes?

Nighty_Knight

Troubadour
the answer is that they are actors. they don't actually fight anymore. The issue is basically recover time-> young people bounce back from injury, muscle strain, etc, older people do not. This is not just about the fight itself, but how long and hard you can train etc. If you get injured, or have to stop training simply because your muscles begin to give out- you won't be as strong, fast, and last as the young guy who can train twice as long and hard as you can . thus steroids. steroids can help you recover much faster and increase endurance etc(they are not just for bulking up) and vastly extend your ability to compete. Look what Lance could do on them!

but naturally that is pretty hard. so yeah- if he uses the drugs.. that would sure help.
Reflexes are the other issue. When you get older your reflexes slow. It’s a pretty big issue with aging fighters and is kinda hard to watch. Guys like Anderson Silva and Fedor who rely pretty heavy on their reflexes now in their 40s just don’t react like they once did, and now we watch them get knocked out by guys who would have struggled to land a single good shot on them when they were a little younger. Happens to boxers and kickboxers, everyone is a little different, but it usually starts close to 40. (Which stinks because I’m closing in on 40 and love training)

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
Reflexes are the other issue. When you get older your reflexes slow. It’s a pretty big issue with aging fighters and is kinda hard to watch. Guys like Anderson Silva and Fedor who rely pretty heavy on their reflexes now in their 40s just don’t react like they once did, and now we watch them get knocked out by guys who would have struggled to land a single good shot on them when they were a little younger. Happens to boxers and kickboxers, everyone is a little different, but it usually starts close to 40. (Which stinks because I’m closing in on 40 and love training)

But in Cobra Kai, Johnny and Daniel are both over 50 and can take on guys who they are twice the age of, no problem.

Or is that due to just being fiction? :(

Solusandra

Troubadour
For the most part, yes, usually. There are some who exemplify the "age and craftiness trump youth and vigor" but that's not what was shown in the series. A lot of it's expertise vs dude who, for all that he's stronger and faster, is comparatively flailing around.

Buuut... That don't mean shit in a fantasy setting. Magic fixes everything.

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
Good point! I guess the age factor works when skill, crafteniess and focus vs those who lack that, despite the age difference and strength advantage.
But since this is fantasy, my MC has supernatural powers combined with the drugs to a extent, combined with a set of expertise skills, he's no ordinary human so I should be safe with this?

Also he'd meet a FMC that has similar supernatural powers like he does. They'd both be in their late forties, early fifties when they have a child together but they're both beyond human with supernatural abilities, so is having a child at their age feasible enough?

Solusandra

Troubadour
Depends on how the magic works. If it extends or restores prime youth, safely having a kid past 50 is totally fine. If they're still old, just in magically enhanced health... gotta lean on "the wizard did it" meme. Less a problem for the guy, than his wife.

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
Yes but don't many people in real life have kids over the age of 50, both men and women? Without any health issues?

Also I found some research about Keanu Reeves who's in great shape and trained really well for the John Wick role and he's over 50. And the character he plays, John Wick is supposed to be an older guy who can keep on fighting all kinds of bad guys, even ones younger and stronger than him.

Solusandra

Troubadour
With men, its easy. men have had kids well into their 90's, its just an issue of sperm count, not having a heart attack and finding an accepting woman.
Or using invitro.

For women, 50, give or take 5 years, is menopause. That outright stops you from having kids. Also, after 35, the chance of your kid having genetic problems or other birth complications goes up by 7% every year. Having a kid after 40 is a good way to curse them with autism.
They CAN... but it's NOT a good idea. Go read a lifestyle column written by older feminists some time. They're everywhere and they're insanely bitter about these details.

But with a fantasy story... a wizard did it, and people grin and keep reading.

As for John Wick, there's two issues. First, he's using guns, not martial arts. He gets destroyed by low level flunkies when he doesn't have a gun in his hands. Second, this guy was an assassin who scared the shit out of professional assassins when he was in his prime, so even aged and lagging, he's still a monster.

Solusandra

Troubadour
Oi, autistic Queshire here. Not cool.
sorry if I've offended you, but most autists and their parents who i've talked to have nothing but complaints. The exception are those few who are "high functioning" and can come off as oddball experts.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
sorry if I've offended you, but most autists and their parents who i've talked to have nothing but complaints. The exception are those few who are "high functioning" and can come off as oddball experts.

Solusandra, it's not right to pointlessly put people on the defense for being who they are. Nobody who is autistic wants to see themselves criticized for it out of the blue, when it's not even relevant. It creates an unwelcome environment, and frankly, adds to reasons behind the complaints you've heard about.

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
For women, 50, give or take 5 years, is menopause. That outright stops you from having kids. Also, after 35, the chance of your kid having genetic problems or other birth complications

So I guess I'll probably avoid them having kids in their 50's, even if they are made of magic :(

First, he's using guns, not martial arts. He gets destroyed by low level flunkies when he doesn't have a gun in his hands.

But doesn't it show scenes of him throwing, tossing, striking and grappling the bad guys and even skilled with melee combat?

Solusandra

Troubadour
So I guess I'll probably avoid them having kids in their 50's, even if they are made of magic
In asian fantasy, most magic is focused on extending life and vitality with cool energy attacks being what comes after you've gotten there; so you don't have to avoid chronological 50 if you don't want to, just the biological condition the age implies IRL.
But doesn't it show scenes of him throwing, tossing, striking and grappling the bad guys and even skilled with melee combat?
perhaps I need to rewatch the series, but to my memory, every time he went into melee, his opponents equaled or defeated him, and it was his gun that got him out.

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
In asian fantasy, most magic is focused on extending life and vitality with cool energy attacks being what comes after you've gotten there; so you don't have to avoid chronological 50 if you don't want to, just the biological condition the age implies IRL.

As long as no one takes offense to this or sees it as a stereotype then I can do it. But I might have to avoid the martial arts story and rules setting if I don't have real experience in it as told by other martial artists :(

perhaps I need to rewatch the series, but to my memory, every time he went into melee, his opponents equaled or defeated him, and it was his gun that got him out.

I think there were a few scenes he does get handed by them in melee, then gains control when he gets a gun but I remember scenes where he'd flip guys over with them trying to shoot at him.

Solusandra

Troubadour
As long as no one takes offense to this or sees it as a stereotype then I can do it. But I might have to avoid the martial arts story and rules setting if I don't have real experience in it as told by other martial artists
Well, again, I suggest reading/watching existing materials. You'll have to be either really or deliberately bad at it to offend most of your audience, and sterotypes won't loose you readers unless they're the sneering sort. There's 150 years of good entertainment here to get inspired by and you should do fine with what you have so far.