• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

If anybody is interested in Norse mythology...

Xanados

Maester
Hello, Johnny. I see that you've invited me to the group. I strongly encourage more people to sign up!

Ravana

Istar
Hmm. Norse is actually pretty far down on my list. Nothing wrong with it; just became too familiar, I guess. But I may drop by sometime.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I'll throw an invite anyway, and you can accept if you feel like it. For me Norse is fresh - considering I don't have a masses of experience in fantasy, and I was always more interested in Greek mythology when I was younger.

Ravana

Istar
Same—though I came by Norse pretty early, before RPGing in fact. Lately, I've found Hindu mythology (though that isn't really a fair term, since there are several hundred million people who still believe in it… though my interest in it isn't as a "religion") to be the most compelling, followed by Finnish and other Finno-Ugric, then most Native American (regardless of continent or period).

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I've tried to look into Native American mythology - but it just doesn't seem as 'strong' and definitive.

Ravana

Istar
Part of that is due to a lack of written records, especially among the ones that achieved the highest level of "development"—which certainly complicates matters. On the other hand, if you're into trickster stories, they've got some of the best. ;)

Xanados

Maester
I think you should all have a look at Asatru. It's a reconstruction of Norse Paganism. I'm currently studying it.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Xanados: then come by the group, start a thread and teach us! It's a little empty in terms of discussion right now!

I've put in a request to join :)

Couldn't not join really since I'm a Vanatru Pagan (I worship the Vanir & Aesir - norse gods to the uninitiated)

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I just accepted. Feel free to come and inject some life into the discussion... it's proving hard to get a conversation going in there!

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I guess it's hard considering group messages don't come up in notifications. I bet most people haven't even noticed the discussion section.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Well make sure to help and get it active!

And I've switched the membership to public rather than moderated. There's no sense in bothering with membership requests if I'm just going to accept everyone anyway - so now people can join straight away.

Xanados

Maester
I've put in a request to join :)

Couldn't not join really since I'm a Vanatru Pagan (I worship the Vanir & Aesir - norse gods to the uninitiated)
Hail Valfather. What about Asatru? I'm studying it and I'm hoping to join a Kindred, in a few years. Asatru + Odinism are the two most common terms.

Yeah Asatru & Odinism are the main strands, but there are a growing number who focus more on the Vanir rather than the Aesir. Vanatru is the most common term used by those who concentrate on the Vanir.(though there are those who think we should stick with Asatru since the Vanir are part of that LOL)

Not that I'm against the Aesir, I just prefer the more peacable Vanir, the good thing about heathenism is that there are many paths that can be taken within it :)

My preferred deity BTW is Freyr :)

Last edited:

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Great, I gave you an invite a week or so back. I remember searching the forums for people who had mentioned Norse mythology, and invited those I found.