• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Inspiration from places you've visited

Jabrosky

Banned
A lot of my stories take place in jungles because I lived in Singapore for approximately six years, and I always thought the local vegetation was gorgeous. Every time we drove from our house to downtown and back, we would pass by this verdant jungle that grew on both sides of the highway. Jungles are great for stimulating the imagination.

TL Rese

Dreamer
travelling is definitely a big inspiration for me. my worldbuilding is largely based on real places - the real world just seems extremely epic and fascinating to me. for instance, a couple of months ago, i made a trip to iceland and got tons of inspiration! =) the landscape there is so surreal and magnificent, i would definitely recommend it for any writer looking for worldbuilding ideas.

Alex97

Troubadour
I just got back from another two day walking trip, this time in new forest and the scenary there was definitely noteworthy. Some parts were particualy memorable for me. For example a massive hill where all you could see for miles around were trees or an opening in the forest with a river and horses.

For the next two years I'm going to be walking around in England quite a bit which has so far proven very useful. Unfortunately it dosn't look like I'm going to be able to go on a 4 day walk in Norway I was hoping to go on but I'm going to start looking further afield for trips. Maybe Greece and America. Anyway as I've allready said visiting different places has always helped my writing.

Absolutely. I live in an area rife with stone circles, hillforts, ancient burial mounds, sacred rivers and so on. There's a valley nearby that often reminds me of somewhere in Middle Earth. My partner and myself are always on the go, visiting various ruins from the prehistoric to medieval, tramping up hills and over desolate moorland. I've been told that 'visual imagery' is the strongest point in my writing, and I actually seem to require a lot of visual stimulation to stay happy!

Jadeynot

I'vs been to places like india, Athens, Greece;prague just to name a few. So i've thought of suing some of those places i've been to as a backdrop in my books.

JCFarnham

Auror
I just got back from another two day walking trip, this time in new forest and the scenary there was definitely noteworthy. Some parts were particualy memorable for me. For example a massive hill where all you could see for miles around were trees or an opening in the forest with a river and horses.

Speaking of the New Forest I was there not a week ago. Lovely part of the world (and although New forest ponies aren't exactly beautiful there is certainly something about them that makes the place).

Anyway, you only have to know the premise of my Faebound books to realise that yes, places inspire me. Namely Edinburgh city :)

M.F.Hart

Dreamer
Ofcourse I'm inspired with places I've visited. For instence, when I started to think about writing a book, I was in italy. Concretly on south of Italy an those beautiful mountains and rock that sourounded me were very inspiring. Most of my world were inspired with that trip. Very inspiring was for me also my stay at international shool in england, the nature everywhere around me and very bad wheather made me think.
But I'm not inspired only with places I visit, but also with things I do. When something hapends I think of it like about something that hepens to my hero. There is lot of inspiration out there.

Frog

Scribe
Honestly, my novel is a modern fantasy. For a couple of my action scenes, I physically went to the place I wanted to have them happen and used that to figure out who was going to do what where. The Post Falls Dam, and the canyon below it, figure heavily into one of the scenes.

Post Falls Dam - YouTube

I went to Somerset in the UK a few months ago, that is a great place to be inspired. There are valleys, hills and forests to explore, complete with little landmarks that have given me some ideas in world building. Highly recommend it, but you may need more than one trip, you can't explore all of it in one week ;)

Thaumicist

Dreamer
Rotorua in New Zealand. Hell's Gate geothermal park. Touristy but amazing, in a terrifying and brimstone-scented way. Chemicals in some of the lakes have turned them bright screaming lime green, like boiling slime. The green lake, a photo from Northland, North Island | TrekEarth And Piha Beach, with tiny spiral shells embedded everywhere in the sparkling black sand. Actually, the whole country is something. The least inspiring parts of New Zealand look like the most inspiring parts of Britain. The grass is literally greener. And we flew past a lightning storm at midnight on the way there. If that's not an omen of awesome I don't know what is.