• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Using real-world inspiration for worldbuilding?

cydare

Minstrel
Most stories I've written until now have been set in modern day (with magical elements). I also attempted to write a story set in 1600s Italy (with magical elements), but it didn't quite work out.

This time, I'd like my story to have an original fantasy setting, but with some influence from already existing cultures. I'm looking for advice on how to be inspired while still keeping the world my own. As well as how to not end up with a generic 'X-flavoured' kind of story.

The main characters in this project used to be part of an old story set on Earth. One of them was a nature spirit who was born sometime during Egypt's Middle Kingdom, while the other was a demon created in the Parthanian Empire.

Thank you!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking about.
Inspiration can be many things to many people. It can come from almost anywhere.
I tend to find it when I'm on my bike or walking, or any time my mind can wander/wonder off undirected. Then a line of dialogue or two suddenly comes to me. If it stays with me, I find I have the need to know what happens next...
You have to find your own source. Tell the story in the way you want to, in the way the story needs to be told.

This time, I'd like my story to have an original fantasy setting, but with some influence from already existing cultures. I'm looking for advice on how to be inspired while still keeping the world my own. As well as how to not end up with a generic 'X-flavoured' kind of story.

I'm thinking that by "generic 'X-flavoured,'" you mean you don't want something like naming conventions or other terminology to leave your story feeling like you merely borrowed those things from an Earth culture? For instance, one of my recent reads used names for people in a society that were obviously meant to sound like names from ancient Greece, even though it wasn't Greece.

One thing you could do is decide which areas in your original world will be the most important for the theme and tone and plot of your story, and then research those areas in the culture you are using for inspiration. For instance, if political intrigue plays a large role, you could look up the way the government was organized in ancient Egypt (rulers, officials at every level, priests with influence), and use a similar structure but create your own terminology and maybe some unique ideas giving a slightly different twist. In this way, you mask the influence but still have the benefit of a historically-based structure.

cydare

Minstrel
Sorry CupofJoe! I wasn't very clear at all. I meant, if anyone has tips on how I can use the inspiration I've drawn from historical research and change it into something more unique. So I'm not lifting a country directly and simply changing the name.

Your answer helped. I think, having things I've learned in mind while focusing on other tasks can help transform them into what I'm looking for. Thank you!

Last edited:

cydare

Minstrel
Thank you very much Shadow Lord! That's exactly what I meant, yes.
That's what I'll try to do - research into certain systems, and change them to suit my story and its feeling. I might combine influences various earth cultures as well.

(Sorry for the double post, I didn't realise replies didn't come up nestled beneath the other person's post)

Hmm.

Well, what separates fantasy from reality? In your world the answer might be magic. A real civilization operates by real-world rules, but fantasy civilizations contain magic/magical creatures/magical races/something different from what's found on earth.

So, i would suggest looking at civilizations and cultures you find inspiring and see how they would be affected by the presence of magic. Its existence would cause new customs, new religions, new trades...

If you don't have magic in your world...(It happens)...you could try studying history and different cultures worldwide and see what interests you. If you like the idea of lots of different cultures clashing in a large urban center, try that. If slavery is interesting, include that. If eastern religions are interesting, try that. If pirates and seafaring interest you, perhaps your world is heavily dependent on seafaring and trade by ship. Think about architecture, clothing, food...You could have a tropical jungle empire or a religious cult in the Arctic--Mix and match, think about how an existing civilization would change if it was set in a different place or a different level of technology. Compile it all and try to build something from scratch that makes sense.

cydare

Minstrel
Thank you very much! I will create a world study based on your advice.
Different cultures clashing in an urban centre was part of the story - an interspecies trading port formed recently in the (now extinct) dragons' old breeding grounds. The other two nations I wanted to delve into are a theocracy with a strong military, and a nation that's more of a collection of little fiefdoms. I'll build on them with the fantastical elements in mind!

Thank you very much! I will create a world study based on your advice.
Different cultures clashing in an urban centre was part of the story - an interspecies trading port formed recently in the (now extinct) dragons' old breeding grounds. The other two nations I wanted to delve into are a theocracy with a strong military, and a nation that's more of a collection of little fiefdoms. I'll build on them with the fantastical elements in mind!

Really glad I was able to help :)

Dragons? :D Extinct? :(

cydare

Minstrel
Really glad I was able to help :)

Dragons? :D Extinct? :(

Sort of? Dormant perhaps might be a better term. Dragons were beings of nearly pure energy which gave them powerful magic and enhanced the natural abilities of anyone in proximity. When they laid themselves to rest, the energy left them and seeped back into the earth to be reborn in other forms. They've been nothing more than bones beneath their city for over a thousand years. Even so, the older inhabitants of the world tell stories that the dragons are waiting for something.

There are a few religions which involve the dragons - some sects of which are trying to bring those they worship as gods back to life so they can dispense judgement on the world once more (and their fabled energy can be used to Do Good and basically power trip). What they don't realise is that calling them back before their time means the energy they gave for other life will have to be returned.

Queshire

Istar
The method I've found which works for me is to pick two different things and combine them together. Now, for me it's IMPORTANT to know the difference between using something for inspiration and basing your world on that. I don't care about accuracy, I care about the feel and coming up with a strong core image. For example my Orcs are a combination of [Shogunate-era Japan] and the [Roman Legions.]

This isn't just limited to cultures either, just about anything can help form a strong image. My elves are a combination of [Genetic Engineering and Biotech] mixed with the [Bickering remains of a Decadent Empire.]

cydare

Minstrel
Thank you very much! This is particularly helpful as I'll be developing two separate kingdoms and I don't want it to read as "well here's alternate Egypt and here's alternate France."