• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Intelligence in Non-Speaking Creatures

Dragons have throughout the years had fixed gathering places (known only by habit and instinct, really.) They could mark the stones with symbols. I like this idea because I imagine human visitors seeing meaning in the markings, but being unable to read.

Part of the story is that dragons have declined greatly, so perhaps they once had some kind of written language, now unknown and lost.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
That would be a fair argument if I had said those weren't a part of culture, which I didn't. I only listed cultural elements that can be passed on non-verbally. I'll be honest in saying that I don't like being misrepresented and I don't like that you inserted the ... ... to make me look like a fool for something I didn't say or indicate. It would be nice if you didn't do that anymore. Alright, back to the discussion.
That wasn't my intention. I apologise. I meant the ellipsis to show my pause in writing. I thought it humour. you did not. I will delete the post

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
That wasn't my intention. I apologise. I meant the ellipsis to show my pause in writing. I thought it humour. you did not. I will delete the post

Then I'll delete mine as well. Apology accepted.

Yeah... Art and Music... Those aren't cultural at all...
I think it is a very dangerous line to think that if something doesn't look like the "culture" and "intelligence" that we recognise, then it may not exist. The truth is that we have no idea what sort of culture or language dogs have and understand [let alone something as different as a cephalopod] because we have no frame of reference. We can measure them against human standards but what about their own kind? A dog lifting it's leg on a lamp post may be telling the most hilarious canine joke... To us, it is just peeing.

This is a really good point.

I learned that dogs can tell a lot about each other by smelling each other's pee...the age, gender, and health of the other dog, how long ago they passed by, how they are feeling, whether they are interested in sex. It's like social media! That's why my dad tells my dog, "No Facebook! You're out there to potty!" when he takes her potty.

A *lot* of animals do this. Rhinos poop in giant piles that other rhinos visit to see what's up with everyone in the area.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Imagine all dragons having synesthesia. I'd imagine people with it would have greater ability to understand them.

This sounds interesting. How far do you want to go with this synesthetic sound/vision? Potentially one dragon could sing entire tales and histories to other dragons. If this is the case you could certainly build a functional and complex society around these dragons. It would likely take them a while to innovate (unless they can also put their thoughts to song), but they could share their already-obtained knowledge with eachother.

We can only imagine how cephalopods think and socialize. It's interesting to think about

Interpretive dance

This sounds interesting. How far do you want to go with this synesthetic sound/vision? Potentially one dragon could sing entire tales and histories to other dragons. If this is the case you could certainly build a functional and complex society around these dragons. It would likely take them a while to innovate (unless they can also put their thoughts to song), but they could share their already-obtained knowledge with eachother.

Well, I definitely feel that there are songs that have been passed down from generation to generation, like in human societies. I am not sure the songs are made of so much concepts and things as colors and feelings though. There is room for innovation and interpretation within them.

I'm also thinking it takes multiple dragons to complete a song.

A lot was lost when the dragons population was decimated by humans at any rate.

Will definitely look into the possibility of written symbols as well.

Large dragons take off most easily from tall cliffs or other elevated areas, being rather heavy for flying creatures. Places like this could be commonly visited and used by many generations of dragons. This makes them a good place to leave messages if it is possible to write them.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Will definitely look into the possibility of written symbols as well.

Large dragons take off most easily from tall cliffs or other elevated areas, being rather heavy for flying creatures. Places like this could be commonly visited and used by many generations of dragons. This makes them a good place to leave messages if it is possible to write them.

If their fine motor skills are decent, they should be able to carve in stone with their nails I'd think. If not, maybe they could blast mountain tops with fire and make more crude signs that way? Stuff like : "don't land here" or "property of -insert dragon-"

If their fine motor skills are decent, they should be able to carve in stone with their nails I'd think. If not, maybe they could blast mountain tops with fire and make more crude signs that way? Stuff like : "don't land here" or "property of -insert dragon-"

They are pretty dexterous. Their nails would have to be hard enough to scratch rock though (depends on the rock.) They're not really anatomically equipped to hold writing utensils like we do.