• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is a rebellion generic?

Endymion

Troubadour
When I first started writing my book it seemed extremely original and I must say I was happy with my work. My characters and story seemed creative and many of my friends seemed to like it. But one thing has been torturing me, and it is the idea that the rebellion has been used to many times in to many stories. So, what do you think? Is a rebellion to generic? Should I abandon my story and start a new one?

A rebellion over what, and against what? It's generic to have a rebellion in favor of peace and love against a government that favors pain and suffering. It's not generic to have a rebellion based in a believable political climate, particularly if you've researched real rebellions in history to base it off of.

Endymion

Troubadour
It's as you said a rebellion based in a believable political climate.:)
Thanks.
I'm trying to create a story that is more than just good vs evil, a little deeper story with political problems and moral issues.
Thanks for replying.

gavintonks

Maester
well you can then have a travelogue? how good a rebellion is it? Most tv series are rebellion V, Falling skies etc etc unless they are comedies So to throw away one of the 36 basic stories because it is all we have, for another basic story does not make sense.
Just make sure it is superlative reading

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I agree completely with gavintonks. There is nothing new under the sun. I would seriously doubt that you can come up with a concept that hasn't been done.

I want to write a story about a boy falling in love with a girl. Oh crap, I think I've seen that in another book. Guess I can't use it.

Make it your goal to do a good story about a rebellion and don't worry about what others have done.

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
I don't think there's enough rebellions, to be honest. Well, good, captivating ones anyway. I think if there's a just cause and enough emotional buildup before hand then it should come naturally. I like the idea of the bad guys starting it, for whatever the cause as long as it is legitimate. Try to make your audience want, or not, the rebellion to happen; make them feel like they'd want to be there, doing something about it.

Jabrosky

Banned
I'd like to see the bad guys leading a rebellion for a change.

I actually had an idea like that once. The hero joined a rebellion thinking they were the good guys against an evil king, but the king turned out to be benevolent and the rebels selfish bastards.

Chilari

Staff
Thanks for creating this thread, Endymion. It has made me think about the story I'm working on. I've been lazy and made it so of course the rebellion is in the right. But that doesn't make for a good story. It certainly doesn't make for a well rounded character in the king being rebelled against, and it means that some later aspects of the story don't really quite make sense (something I've known in the back of my mind since I started plotting a week or two ago).

So I am now working through those issues.

Amanita

Maester
I have a rebellion led by the bad guys too. ;)
See nothing wrong with that and neither with any other variant of rebellion. As long as the sides aren't unrealistically perfect and evil of course, but history gives plentoy of leeway in this regard too. So, go for it. If done well, this can work in many stories.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Mildred: Hey Johnny, what are you rebelling against?
Johnny: Whadda you got?

Rebellion's a common thing, but doesn't mean it's bad or good. It's just common. If that's the story, that's the story. It's not a reason to abandon it.

Last edited: