• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is it possible to write without violence?

Conflict does not have to contain violence. I've read interesting stories where the actuall violence was low, but that was because it had already happened, and the story dealt with the aftermath of it. Still even those ended up having to explain the past violence.

Is it possible, yes, but it would be very limiting.

Vandroiy

Dreamer
I am certain it is possible, and can be a lot of fun to read. "Fantasy" bears its name for a reason; one can make a world that is different. In fact, I think authors should start thinking outside of the blood-and-gore box. I've seen entire seasons of anime with no serious violence, serious meaning that there is actual aggression behind it.

An extreme attempt would be some episodes of Shinigami's Ballad: it's the story of a very good-hearted (and cute) god of death helping people after tragedies or accidents. It's been a while since I watched it, so don't kill me if there is a scene of violence in one of the stories, but I can't remember any.

"No violence" does not mean "no conflict". A story's interesting part is not people cutting one another's head off anyways.

I personally love comedy in fantasy. It's the perfect setting to enjoy the absurd.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
As people are starting to make clear: conflict is necessary, but it's not necessarily violent. Violence is just one of the easiest ways to add conflict because it's so extreme, and the threat of violence is a powerful motivator.

Xavorn

Minstrel
Hello,

Surely it is possible, but like said, it limits the possibilities. But having gotten used to violence (slight or massive), it adds up the interest for me at least. In other words, if I had two books here, one with violence and one without, on the first thought I would take the one with violence (assuming they're somewhat equally interesting).

Of course the other details affect the choosing as well, and it's good to have options, but in the long run... Alright, better stop right here, I guess. :D

-Xavorn

DameiThiessen

Minstrel
I read a book once that broke it down like this.

Action: Conflict between characters where their motivations clash and they have to fight against one another to achieve their goals.
Violence: Conflict between characters where one side's only motivation is to hurt the other.
Gore: Violence without motivation.

So following this system yes, not only is it possible to write a story without violence, it is possible to write a very good story.

Ghost

Inkling
I'll assume violence means straight up physical aggression, not conflict in general or natural disasters. I really don't see why you couldn't have a fantasy novel without violence. So many books are set in the same types of circumstances: wars against "evil" and long journeys. There might not be a reason to have violence if your main character is a bureaucrat in a state that is stable. Same goes for a farmer, a scholar, an artist, a servant, or any other occupation less glorified than a soldier or a noble. Even if the setting is an analog for medieval times, that doesn't mean it has to be nonstop violence. Once it's about the fate of a kingdom, the plot often turns into WWIII + dragons. Fantasy writers often want to write epics, and war is epic. It isn't the only kind of story that exists, though.

I don't know if I have any fantasy books that totally lack violence. Violence, or the threat of it, is an easy way to up the ante. Besides, if your goal is to write a thrilling novel, writing about a rebel army fighting an evil sorcerer makes more sense than writing about a wizard who might lose his magic license. For me, it's also a little less interesting, but that's because I've seen way more of the former.

Taking violence out of a fantasy novel doesn't mean it's only fit for women and children. Fairy tales also have violence, and so do the mid-grade fantasy novels I've read. More than half of the romance novels I've read have some form of violence in them, from shootouts in the jungle to attempted rapes. The romance stories I've read without any violence were short fiction. (Most of the romance I read was historical, fwiw.)

If that poster the OP refers to hates reading about violence, she might get turned off when reading a story that has it. She wouldn't be able to provide a good critique if it ruined her view of the characters and the plot. Her refusal to read them is better for both sides because she isn't the target audience for those books anyway.

pskelding

Troubadour
A poster offers help to new writers without cost.

Hmmm who is this mysterious person? She sounds like she could be anyone of us.

She refuses to help with any art form with violence. Not heroic violence, not good over bad violence,
just no violence. I believe she is not a fantasy writer.

OK you shouldn't consider her worthy of reading your writing nor should you change what you are writing for her unless she is an editor who will pay you for it.

I wouldn't consider her worth my time in the least with an offer like that and you shouldn't unless she was a proven editor with a track record and credentials to back it up.

You also should be wary of mysterious people offering assistance like this on the internet...

CicadaGrrl

Troubadour
I've actually tried writing a fantasy novel with no violence. Magic, but no violence. My writing group kept telling me it had no plot or direction. Eventually I got sick of this type of feedback and set it aside. Beauty by Robin McKinley. The Beast threatens violence, but never is actually violence and only threatens violence once and not on the page. A Fine and Private Place. A past tense violent act is referred since one of the characters has to deal with the ramifications, but other than that--nothing.

A fantasy novel does not in any way need to contain violence. It asks for a created world or this world with intrusive unworldly aspects. Most often magic, etc. The only reason nearly every fantasy novel involves violence is that the market, and then the readers, and then the writers who were readers and so tend to write with an expectation it will look something like what they read all involve violence.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
I wouldn't consider her worth my time in the least with an offer like that and you shouldn't unless she was a proven editor with a track record and credentials to back it up.

I've been holding back, but I agree with this. I don't think it's fair to say 'her offer, her rules', because this is fiction we're discussing. Her offer reeks of pomposity, and some weird kind of petty morality. Even if she is a good writer (I don't really know), it doesn't make her qualified to judge other people's work if she hangs on to such pointless 'purity', as if it equates to integrity.

I wouldn't trust anyone who'd sooner put their hands over their ears and shout 'lalala', than face something as real, and as inherent in humans, as violence in a work of imaginary​ prose.

SeverinR

Vala
I've been holding back, but I agree with this. I don't think it's fair to say 'her offer, her rules', because this is fiction we're discussing. Her offer reeks of pomposity, and some weird kind of petty morality. Even if she is a good writer (I don't really know), it doesn't make her qualified to judge other people's work if she hangs on to such pointless 'purity', as if it equates to integrity.

I wouldn't trust anyone who'd sooner put their hands over their ears and shout 'lalala', than face something as real, and as inherent in humans, as violence in a work of imaginary​ prose.

Like anyone else, her critique would be her opinion, it is very hard to be a Jack of all Genres, so the critique would be word structure and welll formed sentences and descriptions.

I think her reasoning is because she is burned out on writing violence and just wants to help others peacefully and with no profit.

I am uncertain that I will send her something, basically because my stories have violence of some sort intertwined.
Basically I could not remember reading any fantasy book without some violence, so I asked if it was possible to write a adult fantasy without violence. (The only thing I have written without violence was "Aqua at play" and every critique suggested it be a childrens book. I love that a google search brings up my story)

Last edited:

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Like anyone else, her critique would be her opinion, it is very hard to be a Jack of all Genres, so the critique would be word structure and welll formed sentences and descriptions.

I think her reasoning is because she is burned out on writing violence and just wants to help others peacefully and with no profit.

My problem is that setting such petty terms implies a bizarre sense of self-worth, and works to exaggerate her expertise. She should just give critique if she wants to, and not give critique if she doesn't want to. Simple. I don't agree with racial segregation or sexism, but I'm not about to refuse to read something that includes it.

If you just want her to critique your grammar and structure, then go for it. As for your story? I wouldn't bother, because if she's willing to let something so childish get in the way of her critique, then you need to take into account other factors that could affect her ability to give reasonable feedback.

Queengilda

Dreamer
I have written romance novels and they usually don't have violence, just other types of conflict. Fantasy novels do have to have some type of violence if they are for the adult market. Otherwise the books just wouldn't sell. Perhaps the lady only writes children's fantasy stories.