• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is my fictional culture getting too weird?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
More fiction should have adoption be a valid path for royalty. Build in a rags to riches route for all them orphans.

How often historically, has an adopted family member had a path to becoming ruler? It probably happened, I am sure, but not very often I would think. Its not just the monarch who has to like the idea, its all the other noble types who have to agree with it as well. And if this inserted bloodline can be king, why not mine?

ClearDragon

Troubadour
That's just a choice though. You could have a society where sexual intercourse between men and women is purely aimed at reproduction. Especially when dealing with non-human species. Technically speaking you could even have the reproduction part without the sex part, though that requires a bit more know-how about how the whole thing actually works. It would create a very interesting social dynamic, if you decide to pursue it.

Out of curiosity, why not?

Hmm, I like that idea where male and females are together only for breeding and the rest of the time they prefer with the same sex.

And well as I said before I'm gay only and just have to interest in women or female characters...

How often historically, has an adopted family member had a path to becoming ruler? It probably happened, I am sure, but not very often I would think. Its not just the monarch who has to like the idea, its all the other noble types who have to agree with it as well. And if this inserted bloodline can be king, why not mine?
All hail King pmmg 👑 do you like the way that sounds?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
If I were in a royal court I’d probably be scullery maid.

Were you really adopted?

In fact I was. I grew up in an adopted home with 4 other adopted siblings. My parents had one biological child and five adoptees. I was in the middle.

I recently connected with both the bio families. Both my bio parents were already passed on, but I have a larger family of brothers and sisters now. Too many to keep up with (I think the number is now 14 siblings?). My new/old brother Dave comes to our game days :) Oddly, there is almost a 20 year gap between me, and my next bio-sibling down.

Of my 14 siblings, only one would read my stuff, but I know its not their thing.

Last edited:

ClearDragon

Troubadour
Well I think I've got it settled now.
Its going to be a male orientated culture where its common for males to have gay relationships and male and females are only together for breeding.

Nighty_Knight

Troubadour
Its going to be a male orientated culture where its common for males to have gay relationships and male and females are only together for breeding.
Would it be taboo or acceptable in that culture for a male and female to be strictly heterosexual but clearly in the minority? Basically the opposite of our culture I guess you could say about the norm. There will always be outliers, curious how your culture would handle it. Just a thought.

ClearDragon

Troubadour
Would it be taboo or acceptable in that culture for a male and female to be strictly heterosexual but clearly in the minority? Basically the opposite of our culture I guess you could say about the norm. There will always be outliers, curious how your culture would handle it. Just a thought.
Not really, it would just be unusual. I figure they are mostly sexually free.

Righmath

Troubadour
So I'm back on here again :)
Anyway, I'm still creating my fictional universe and have come to a knida odd problem.
So part of my fictional culture is that the emperors most trusted bodyguard sleeps with him.
Is that too strange? Maybe its just that I'm from ma very conservative background?
For my book I wanted to show this part of the culture and other parts too.
Oh yeah the culture is humanoid dragons. Its a very male orientated culture where being gay was never considered wrong or even unusual, even for the emperor.
So yeah... Thats what I want to go with for this culture, but is it too "out there" after all?
Its a bit late for me here, so I'll probably see any replies tomorrow.
Kind of like it. Didn't Roman commanders make recruits sleep with them (or something along those lines).

ClearDragon

Troubadour
Kind of like it. Didn't Roman commanders make recruits sleep with them (or something along those lines).

Yeah, I take inspiration from Greek culture so its kinda like Roman.
The Romans did other stuff too, I some of that is in my dragon culture too.

Rexenm

Inkling
That sounds like atheism to me. Church and matrimony and all. Maybe the main character is full lizard, and the emperor is a sickly human. And they still do it?