• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is my fictional culture getting too weird?

ClearDragon

Troubadour
So I'm back on here again :)
Anyway, I'm still creating my fictional universe and have come to a knida odd problem.
So part of my fictional culture is that the emperors most trusted bodyguard sleeps with him.
Is that too strange? Maybe its just that I'm from ma very conservative background?
For my book I wanted to show this part of the culture and other parts too.
Oh yeah the culture is humanoid dragons. Its a very male orientated culture where being gay was never considered wrong or even unusual, even for the emperor.
So yeah... Thats what I want to go with for this culture, but is it too "out there" after all?
Its a bit late for me here, so I'll probably see any replies tomorrow.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I am currently reading a series titled 'The Wandering Inn,' a mix of LitRPG and portal fantasy. In it, a fledgling [Emperor] - a blind man from Earth - is sleeping with his half-troll bodyguard. Then again, thus far, his 'empire' has fewer than two hundred subjects.

Sleeps with him as in engages in sexual activity with him or sleeps in the same room as him? I mean if it’s part of the story no it’s not weird, but maybe weave that relationship into the story. Is it strictly businesslike or is it loving and tender, and keep in mind modern day LGBTQ+ standards of legitimacy and acceptance.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Sleeps with him as in engages in sexual activity with him or sleeps in the same room as him? I mean if it’s part of the story no it’s not weird, but maybe weave that relationship into the story. Is it strictly businesslike or is it loving and tender, and keep in mind modern day LGBTQ+ standards of legitimacy and acceptance.
In the Wandering Inn, it be both.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well, I'll call it weird, but so what? I've seen weirder, and in today's climate, it would just more along the lines of par for the course. If its what you like, it wont do to write something different.

There are plenty of stories about Alexander the great having a romantic relationship with one of his commanders. It's even part of the plot of the movie made about him. Nothing wrong with it if that's the story you want to tell.

The main issue with this idea is the power-imbalance in the relationship. It would basically be a boss sleeping with an employee. It happens, but because one is the boss it's generally frowned upon. Now, that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, just that you should take that into consideration. I mean, there's probably a whole romance subgenre with this specific relationship type as the focus. And of course, by definition more or less, the emperor is the boss of everyone, so any relationship he gets into will be tricky.

Rexenm

Inkling
Oh yeah the culture is humanoid dragons.
Lizards are cold blooded, humans are warm blooded, does that factor into the culture of these beings? Are they instead, hot blooded? Is there a history in it? I wonder about some of these homo erotica, it seems like there is a theme of special or age related relationships. I have my own theories about why this may be, but there are plenty of theories about laws surrounding such things, such as fantasy environments feeling difficult or prejudiced.
half-troll bodyguard.
Curiously reminding me of Sleeping Beauty.

Rexenm

Inkling
There are plenty of stories about Alexander the great having a romantic relationship with one of his commanders.
There is an interesting Greek philosopher who had dealings with Alexander the Great. He was so sharp, that he managed to survive in a barrel. His name was Diogenes, and he was pupil to Antisthenes. There is something childlike about my youth, in regards to this man. I wonder what my boyhood self would think of me now. Would I imagine denizens, in the night? A plague of locusts? A cupid, to break my heart?

Nighty_Knight

Troubadour
I mean, it’s not the weirdest thing written in fiction. One of the most popular book series has a twin sister and brother having secret kids together so there is that.

I’ve just re-read your original post and the more I think about it the more it has parallels to Ancient Greece and other ancient civilisations. I would say that it would actually make a lot of sense, and would add interest to the story / plot. As you say it is very male oriented culture and homosexuality isn’t considered taboo or unusual, so go with it I say. It would probably have resonance with readers today.

ClearDragon

Troubadour
Alright thanks people.
I'm going to go with it then.
And a little info/backstory.
These dragon people are cold blooded, and yes I take a lot of inspiration from ancient Greek culture.
My is the most loyal guard gets to be physically closest to the emperor and its not too unusual for him to fall in love with the emperor, or maybe he already was and thats how he got the position.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
In my upcoming book, The Contessa has a handmaid who ends up sleeping in her bed, but no sex, even though the handmaid is a flirt. The Contessa is the opposite of most everything today, she is nonsexual, spurning both sexes, heh heh. At least so far.

As a world-builder, exclusively gay is impractical for reproduction depending on the system these people have. Bisexuality, or if egg-laying... Who knows. Run with whatever works for you.

ClearDragon

Troubadour
In my upcoming book, The Contessa has a handmaid who ends up sleeping in her bed, but no sex, even though the handmaid is a flirt. The Contessa is the opposite of most everything today, she is nonsexual, spurning both sexes, heh heh. At least so far.

As a world-builder, exclusively gay is impractical for reproduction depending on the system these people have. Bisexuality, or if egg-laying... Who knows. Run with whatever works for you.
I see, thats neat.
Well to tell the truth I'm gay only and don't like writting female characters...
But I do have it where the males are commonly bi, also yeah the females lay eggs.

That's just a choice though. You could have a society where sexual intercourse between men and women is purely aimed at reproduction. Especially when dealing with non-human species. Technically speaking you could even have the reproduction part without the sex part, though that requires a bit more know-how about how the whole thing actually works. It would create a very interesting social dynamic, if you decide to pursue it.

don't like writting female characters.
Out of curiosity, why not?

Queshire

Istar
More fiction should have adoption be a valid path for royalty. Build in a rags to riches route for all them orphans.

Rexenm

Inkling
Most of these stories are about young orphans. Maybe they thrive in some kind of imaginary land. Besides child rearing, I wonder if it is game or discipline they want? If there is a humanoid reptilian, does that mean that the offspring are reduced to fledglings, or are they more likely to be siblings? The ideals of royalty, must have something to do with the royal court, so they have limited training in sword craft, but does that make them more likely to be quite the opposite? Or does it make them gay? Probably, or maybe retarded. Is there a sang-real out there, with a curse upon all who imagine it? Or do they dare drink?