1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Is there a way to make a world without a sun even halfway believable?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Hir i-Chorvath, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Hir i-Chorvath

Hir i-Chorvath Maester

As a lot of you have been mentioning, this world could not scientifically exist because of thermodynamics, radioactivity, and so on. At least not without a good dose of handwavium. As this is a fantasy world, I have plenty of handwavium going on. What I was looking for were ways that I could make it feel more realistic using science and all that, I wasn't looking to go into the finer details of it all. For those, I am just going to say that magic solves those problems and leave it at that.

I did think about that and I considered making them blind but I have a few stories in that world and I just wasn't sure what I thought of doing a story from a blind person's perspective.

2. Saigonnus

Saigonnus Auror

Given it is fantasy, any sort of magic could work. Maybe the energy comes from the god/goddess themselves. Maybe the act of building it gave it enough energy to act like a normal planet and it takes that devotion to the god/goddess to maintain it; it could explain why the planet is failing, because their faith is failing. Not sure if you want your novel to be steeped in religion though.

Another option could be magical vortex at the center of the planet. One of my created worlds uses a collection of magical energy that mingle and can be tapped into for spells. Each of the forms of energy comes from certain things; molten, lunar, shadow, water etc... something like this could explain how the planet works. These energies form the vortex, providing the planet with a molten core (molten energy) and could be responsible for all other facets of life on the sunless planet.

3. S J Lee

S J Lee Sage

You could do what Olaf Stapledon did in Starmaker. When all the suns have gone out, civilisation will continue for a long while after through "molecular disintegration"... basically, nuclear power, some type of fission. Neutron stars are hollowed out. Gravity is immense, and the population is made of engineered swarms of flat worms / crawling carpets a millimetre tall....eventually, all matter is used up and the hollow neutron stars crumble and life ends....