• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I've been gazumped - advice please

Snikt5

Scribe
Good afternoon all,

My name is Rob Donovan and I'm currently writing my 5th novel. Since 2011 I've released on average one book a year. Sales have been reasonable if not brilliant (better in the UK). I do some advertising on social media but mostly I've been happy with getting at least a few books sold every month at least (I don't have high targets). The plan was to advertise heavily when I finish the fifth novel.

However a few months ago, disaster struck. Another author released a novel under the name of Rob Donovan. No problem I thought, there was always a chance it would happen. I would just need to up my game.

Out of curiosity I looked at this fellow Rob Donovan's book. It was a "how to get rich quick" book and he was charging £2.50 for 35 pages.

Apart from being mildly annoyed at the blatant bad name this gave to self-published books, I thought "each to their own" and was confident my books would soon drive these pamphlets down the page of books which were visible under the name of Rob Donovan.

However within 3 hours, this author published another 10 titles similar in length, price and content. My books now do not appear on the first page and sales have dried up.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions.

C

Chessie

^^Hey, I just posted a thread about this you might be interested in checking out. It might be the source of your problem now that visibility on KU has gone down thanks to these scam books. I feel your pain.

Snikt5

Scribe
^^Hey, I just posted a thread about this you might be interested in checking out. It might be the source of your problem now that visibility on KU has gone down thanks to these scam books. I feel your pain.

Hey Chesterama thanks for the reply. That is an interesting article attached to your thread. It seems a this other author has added a few other books now, which are now over 100 pages long. He has now got 16 titles above mine.