• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Jabrosky's Crimes Against Fantasy Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabrosky

Banned
cleopatra_concept_art_by_brandonspilcher-d83zj2u.png

Cleopatra Concept Art
Cleopatra VII is now armed for battle with a bow and knife. I wanted this to look like concept art for a video game character, and I very well may try making a 3D model of this someday. Not sure what kind of game the character would belong in, but I'm leaning towards either the strategy game genre (e.g. Age of Empires) or some hack-and-slash action game (e.g. God of War).

The scarred design on Cleopatra's left cheek is supposed to represent a falcon emblem as seen on Ptolemaic coinage.

Jabrosky

Banned
sketchbook_slayer_by_brandonspilcher-d85l9j7.png

Sketchbook Slayer
My current art class is delving into designing characters with cartoon-like proportions, so I wanted to practice this with a cartoony dinosaur-slayer in my sketchbook. I think I made her calves a little too big here, but I wanted to convey strong legs since that fits her agile warrior archetype.

I wonder if there is an indirect anime influence here. I didn't have an anime style specifically in mind when drawing her proportions, but given how Japanese and Western animation styles have cross-pollinated each other over the decades, it would not surprise me if the large gleaming eyes did channel something influenced by anime.

The defeated dinosaur isn't from any particular species, but its brow horns were inspired by the tyrannosaurid Gorgosaurus libratus.

Jabrosky

Banned
sita_from_the_ramayana_by_brandonspilcher-d868qqy.png

Sita from the Ramayana
I should have probably drawn this on Diwali this year (Oct. 22-23), but unfortunately the inspiration did not bite me until weeks later. Consider this an overdue celebration.

When I was going to grade school as an expat in Singapore, every autumn we would celebrate the Hindu holiday of Diwali in honor of the local Indian community. We would watch these animated videos retelling the story of the Ramayana epic, in which the blue warrior Rama saves his girlfriend Sita from Ravana. Good times, those were.

This is supposed to represent the love interest Sita. I referenced her facial features and wavy hair from a girl of India's Irula ethnic group. In the old days of racial anthropology, these people were classified as "Australoid" (i.e. similar in appearance to Aboriginal Australians and Melanesians) in contrast to the "Caucasoid" Aryans who entered the Indian subcontinent around 1750 BC.

Jabrosky

Banned
Trying to break out of my art slump...
dancer_in_blue_by_brandonspilcher-d86npnz.jpg

Dancer in Blue
An African dancer lady I doodled with a blue colored pencil. She likes to dance with large venomous cobras.

afrovenator_by_brandonspilcher-d879i4p.png

Afrovenator
This is one hairstyle you really don't want to touch. The dinosaur is supposed to be based off the African megalosaurid Afrovenator abakensis.

Jabrosky

Banned
dressed_like_a_spitter_by_brandonspilcher-d87gnf4.png

Dressed like a Spitter
This chick has styled her hair into two "crests" like those on a Dilophosaurus wetherilli, the "spitter" dinosaur from Jurassic Park. Honestly, that little guy always gave me an even bigger jump-scare than even the T. Rex or raptors.

Jabrosky

Banned
queen_of_kwanzaa_by_brandonspilcher-d87zldp.png

Queen of Kwanzaa
The winter solstice will be coming up in about a month, so I decided to get into the holiday mood by giving this Egyptian queen a Kwanzaa-inspired color scheme. Happy Holidays!

Jabrosky

Banned
I am not dead...
in_full_swing_pencils_by_brandonspilcher-d88kpen.jpg

Pencil sketch of a lady swinging through the jungle canopy. I sure had fun drawing this, but later this week I'll have it inked and colored as always.

Jabrosky

Banned
in_full_swing_by_brandonspilcher-d88kpen.png

In Full Swing
This African huntress is taking the high road, as in high over the jungle understory in true Tarzan tradition. Boy, did I have a lot of fun with this one!

Jabrosky

Banned
let_my_people_go_by_brandonspilcher-d89yk26.png

Let My People Go
Moses, the champion prophet of the Jewish religion, challenges the Pharaoh to release his Hebrew people from slavery in Egypt. I've wanted to draw a scene like this for ages now, but the recent release of the Exodus: Gods and Kings movie prompted me to tackle it now. I didn't count the hours, but I am sure I spent far more time drawing and coloring this picture than I have any other art piece I've produced over the years. The perspective on the architecture alone was a major pain in the ass.

Tom

Istar
I like it. The composition is dynamic--you can feel the tension in the room. My only concern is that Pharaoh's head may be jutting out a little too far. Other than that, fantastic!

Great, now you've got that song from Moses: Prince of Egypt in my head. Which do you think is the better adaptation: Moses: Prince of Egypt, or Exodus: Gods and Kings? Personally, I prefer Moses.

Jabrosky

Banned
I like it. The composition is dynamic--you can feel the tension in the room. My only concern is that Pharaoh's head may be jutting out a little too far. Other than that, fantastic!

Great, now you've got that song from Moses: Prince of Egypt in my head. Which do you think is the better adaptation: Moses: Prince of Egypt, or Exodus: Gods and Kings? Personally, I prefer Moses.
I like Prince of Egypt more too (I presume you're referring to the Dreamworks movie).

Tom

Istar
I like Prince of Egypt more too (I presume you're referring to the Dreamworks movie).

Of course. I love Prince of Egypt. It's actually part of the reason I started writing fantasy--I wanted to emulate its imagination and ability to move emotionally, and what better way to do that than to write fantasy? The animation was also a big factor in the development of my own art style.

Tom

Istar
You've never seen it? I grew up with that movie! Ah, well, you are several years younger than me, so I guess its popularity wore off a little since the time I first saw it at 5.

It's a great movie (arguably the best 2D-animated movie of all time), and it's currently streaming on Netflix. Pop some popcorn and enjoy!

Jabrosky

Banned
regal_relaxation_by_brandonspilcher-d8aoggu.png

Regal Relaxation
This seductive African queen is ready to enjoy a cup of mukumbi wine (made from the fruit of the marula tree), but her pet wildcat isn't in such a cheerful mood. Did you know that all domestic cats living today are descended from an African subspecies of wildcat (Felis silvestris lybica)?

Jabrosky

Banned
canyon_crossing_by_brandonspilcher-d8bvzbs.png

Canyon Crossing
While crossing a gorge, this Tyrannosaurus rex has noticed a Geosternbergia sternbergi (a cousin of Pteranodon) in hot pursuit of a poor micoraptorine. I just got back home from a Christmas vacation at Chicago with my big sister, and I'm glad to be drawing again.

Tom

Istar
How was your Christmas? Chicago's got to be pretty cold this time of year, am I right? Brrrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.