• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Jabrosky's Crimes Against Fantasy Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabrosky

Banned
jungle_love_by_brandonspilcher-d8gy7uf.png

Jungle Love
These two adventurers, one from the icy north and the other a native, are about to make the jungle even steamier. Because it's been such a while since I last drew people in love.

Unfortunately the backdrop was an afterthought when setting up this piece's composition. If I were to take another shot at it, I would have moved the couple a little to the right, and maybe add a curious dinosaur peeking from the undergrowth. The girl's costume drew a few influences from concept art for the game Diablo III's female Witch Doctor, but I wasn't sure how to dress the guy besides making him shirtless. In the end he came out resembling a blond Conan.

Jabrosky

Banned
fat_dudes_need_love_too_by_brandonspilcher-d8h4kl7.jpg

Fat Dudes Need Love Too
I've chanced upon a photo from a fat-acceptance website called the "Adipositivity Project", which pairs up a large-bodied woman with a not-so-large-bodied man. It prompted me to draw a couple with the body types reversed, or a fat guy with his not-so-fat girlfriend. There does seem to be a curious under-representation of fat male characters in so-called "body positive" art after all.
I drew and uploaded this to see how the (predominantly female) fat acceptance activists on the Internet would react to a fat guy/non-fat woman pairing (as opposed to a fat woman/non-fat man one).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jabrosky

Banned
spearhorn_nesting_grounds_by_brandonspilcher-d8hti35.png

Spearhorn Nesting Grounds
The stony faces of ancient gods watch over these mother Triceratops in their traditional nesting grounds. One of them, who bears the scars of a T. Rex attack on her frill, is driving off a snooping Albertonykus (one of the alvarezsaurids, or feathered dinosaurs with tiny clawed wings).

Some paleontologists theorize that ceratopsians in Cretaceous North America would migrate between coastal and inland regions over the year, with the inland movements headed for seasonal nesting grounds. This gave me the image of Triceratops congregating in some hallowed valley for their annual nesting. In this picture, the nests themselves have mud, leaves, and other debris spread overhead to incubate the eggs (and hide them from prowling alvarezsaurids, of course).

As for the ruined sculptures rising from the jungle canopy in the background, their design is inspired by bronze and terra cotta busts from the Yoruba kingdom of Ife, which thrived in what is now Nigeria from the 12th to 15th centuries AD. These statues are characterized by a level of realism in rendering the facial features that would put most ancient Egyptian sculptors (and maybe even some classical Greek ones) to shame.

Laurence

Inkling
spearhorn_nesting_grounds_by_brandonspilcher-d8hti35.png

Spearhorn Nesting Grounds
The stony faces of ancient gods watch over these mother Triceratops in their traditional nesting grounds. One of them, who bears the scars of a T. Rex attack on her frill, is driving off a snooping Albertonykus (one of the alvarezsaurids, or feathered dinosaurs with tiny clawed wings).

Some paleontologists theorize that ceratopsians in Cretaceous North America would migrate between coastal and inland regions over the year, with the inland movements headed for seasonal nesting grounds. This gave me the image of Triceratops congregating in some hallowed valley for their annual nesting. In this picture, the nests themselves have mud, leaves, and other debris spread overhead to incubate the eggs (and hide them from prowling alvarezsaurids, of course).

As for the ruined sculptures rising from the jungle canopy in the background, their design is inspired by bronze and terra cotta busts from the Yoruba kingdom of Ife, which thrived in what is now Nigeria from the 12th to 15th centuries AD. These statues are characterized by a level of realism in rendering the facial features that would put most ancient Egyptian sculptors (and maybe even some classical Greek ones) to shame.

I love your dinosaur artwork the best by a long shot!

Jabrosky

Banned
And now for a completely different artistic medium...
zbrush_scorpion_queen_wip_by_brandonspilcher-d8jisla.jpg

This is an early stage for this Egyptian "Scorpion Queen" I'm modeling as an assignment for my ZBrush class at Palomar College. ZBrush has already become my favorite program for 3D modeling due to its intuitive "clay sculpting" approach to modeling. By the time I have this finished and turned in (which should be two weeks from now), I'll have all her skin textures painted, with maybe some jewelry and a dreadlocked hairstyle added for extra decoration.

Jabrosky

Banned
Huntress Animation for Flash Class

This is the main character for a simple homework assignment for an Adobe Flash animation class I'm taking. The whole project will be due a month from now, and it'll have a background, music and sound effects, and a larger cast of animated characters. I have two other characters created for the project so far, an Oviraptor and Deinonychus, and plan on adding a T. Rex next. All these characters' body parts will have been drawn in Adobe Illustrator before importing them into Flash.

ascanius

Inkling
And now for a completely different artistic medium...
zbrush_scorpion_queen_wip_by_brandonspilcher-d8jisla.jpg

This is an early stage for this Egyptian "Scorpion Queen" I'm modeling as an assignment for my ZBrush class at Palomar College. ZBrush has already become my favorite program for 3D modeling due to its intuitive "clay sculpting" approach to modeling. By the time I have this finished and turned in (which should be two weeks from now), I'll have all her skin textures painted, with maybe some jewelry and a dreadlocked hairstyle added for extra decoration.

Not bad, not bad at all. Looks good though the tail stinger looks really big compared to the rest. I use blender for 3d work but I've heard great things about zbrush. I'm curious. Did you take an iso shpere and scupt from that or did you create the base mesh then sculpt the details. I usually start with the shere, or cube and subdivide the faces a lot then use dynamic topology to scult the entire thing. I did create a skull by creating the base mesh first, It's extremely tedious if you haven't done it.

Jabrosky

Banned
Not bad, not bad at all. Looks good though the tail stinger looks really big compared to the rest. I use blender for 3d work but I've heard great things about zbrush. I'm curious. Did you take an iso shpere and scupt from that or did you create the base mesh then sculpt the details. I usually start with the shere, or cube and subdivide the faces a lot then use dynamic topology to scult the entire thing. I did create a skull by creating the base mesh first, It's extremely tedious if you haven't done it.
One of the many neat traits of ZBrush is that it actually has a special "ZSphere" function, which lets you construct the "bare bones" of a figure by drawing chains of spheres and then melding them together into something you can then mold into whatever you want. Saves you a lot of trouble relative to other modeling programs.

Meanwhile, just to let y'all know I'm not totally dead yet, here are some sketches of my favorite Pharaoh:
pharaoh_sketches_by_brandonspilcher-d8leck4.jpg

Though admittedly I have been neglecting my old sketchbook in the last couple of weeks. The ZBrush and Flash classes I've been taking this semester seem to have distracted me from my older hobbies. But with Spring Break coming up next week, I should have time to catch up in between working on homework.

These are all supposed to depict the same character BTW. The upper right is our heroine without her crown, and the lower right is...well, what she likes to show off to her favorite subjects. :D

ascanius

Inkling
I didn't know that about zbrush, that zsphere has to be very convinient. Makes me want to get back into 3d work, I've mostly done structural models and so far and scenery. I did a cool waterfall with the cycles render engine. Sadly I too haven't been drawing as much lately, I need to get back to and continue doing anatomy studies. Well keep up the good work.

Jabrosky

Banned
zbrush_scorpion_queen_update_for_3_15_2015_by_brandonspilcher-d8lu869.jpg

So here is a little update on that Egyptian Scorpion Queen I was working on for my ZBrush class. Now that my parents (bless them dearly) were kind enough to lend me the money to download my own copy for home, I have much more time to work on this assignment than I would have otherwise enjoyed. And it is a very fun program to use, even if there's still a bit of a learning curve that requires me to look up tricks on the Internet every so often.

Obviously there's still quite a bit left to do, like embellishing her hairstyle (it's supposed to have a kinky dreadlocks look), giving her some clothes and jewelry, and maybe painting some patterns on her scorpion body. But designing her has still been a blast thus far!

ascanius

Inkling
Hey jabrosky its looking good, though your facial proportions need work. I know it's really hard to get them right but it's worth the effort to understand them now while your learning. I made a paint over of what I think still needs work, pm me if you want the rundown and what not. Imagine doing it in stone and you cannot add stone when you go too deep. Otherwise it's looking good, it's going to look very nice when you render with lighting and materials especially once you add textures. Well keep it up and good luck.

Jabrosky

Banned
egyptian_scorpion_queen_by_brandonspilcher-d8m7u49.jpg

Egyptian Scorpion Queen

This was an assignment for my ZBrush class, which had us make a creature based off an insect (or some other arthropod). I elected for an Egyptian Scorpion Queen, like a female version of Dwayne Johnson's Scorpion King monster from The Mummy Returns. I am so glad to have this finished once and for all, but it was a blast to design.

See here for bigger image

Last edited:

Jabrosky

Banned
nature_brush_set_for_cartography_by_brandonspilcher-d8mscr6.jpg

Nature Brush Set for Cartography
This is the first draft of a set of cartography brushes I made for Photoshop. I drew the actual art for each brush in Illustrator before importing them into Photoshop to make into brush presets. It's not necessarily a complete collection at the moment, but I hope it'll help some fantasy map-makers out there who need mountains, trees, and other landscape features for their wildernesses.

Soon I'll make brushes for settlements from different cultures around the world.

Jabrosky

Banned
zbrush_egyptian_lady_wip_by_brandonspilcher-d8mtwxc.jpg

Egyptian Lady WIP
Another Egyptian chick I'm making in ZBrush. This one isn't a class assignment but a labor of my own love, with the medium-brown skin texture made by myself. Afterwards I might make a "Nubian" version of this character with a darker skin tone and broader facial features.

Jabrosky

Banned
this_dino_should_diet_by_brandonspilcher-d8myem3.png

This Dino Should Diet
This Triceratops really needs to cut down on the jungle vegetation she's been grazing, as you can see from all the stretch marks scarring her beautiful hide. But don't tell her that to her face lest she trample you for judging her by "oppressive beauty standards".

This character was inspired by certain individuals I've had the misfortune of bumping into in recent years. Their vain and ornery attitude reminded me more than anything else of a large and defensive ceratopsian dinosaur, an animal you had to tiptoe around carefully if you didn't want it to gore you. Sometimes your own life experiences can be a rich well of ideas to draw upon for characters.

Jabrosky

Banned
cleopatra_t_shirt_design_by_brandonspilcher-d8ne65e.png

T-shirt design I made in Adobe Illustrator, using one of my older Cleopatra portraits as a reference. You can actually buy the T-shirt itself over at Zazzle.

Because I am in dire need of the monies.

Jabrosky

Banned
And now a new original drawing!
khaos_d_ree_by_brandonspilcher-d8nl1dq.png

Khaos D.Ree
At first I simply wanted to draw a sexy lady-rapper (which I personally think is a very attractive concept by itself), but then I remembered how much "rapper" sounds like "raptor", as in the vernacular name for the Dromaeosauridae (Velociraptor, Deinonychus, and all those other feathered dinosaurs with big sickle-claws on their feet). And that's how her distinctive motif and rapper nickname were born. In the little biography I'm dreamed up for her, she was adopted by a prominent American mathematician from an orphanage in Haiti (which, by the way, is geographically contiguous to a country well-known for its amber deposits), and has named herself after his championed theory.

ascanius

Inkling
egyptian_scorpion_queen_by_brandonspilcher-d8m7u49.jpg

Egyptian Scorpion Queen

This was an assignment for my ZBrush class, which had us make a creature based off an insect (or some other arthropod). I elected for an Egyptian Scorpion Queen, like a female version of Dwayne Johnson's Scorpion King monster from The Mummy Returns. I am so glad to have this finished once and for all, but it was a blast to design.

See here for bigger image

Turned out very nicely, I can see the changes you made to the face. The scars on the abdomen are an interesting touch. Overall well done.

zbrush_egyptian_lady_wip_by_brandonspilcher-d8mtwxc.jpg

Egyptian Lady WIP
Another Egyptian chick I'm making in ZBrush. This one isn't a class assignment but a labor of my own love, with the medium-brown skin texture made by myself. Afterwards I might make a "Nubian" version of this character with a darker skin tone and broader facial features.

Your gonna hate me... But her legs are too long compared to her torso. Remeber that an adult female and male are roughly 8 heads high, two heads wide at the shoulders. Drawing Tutorial: Anatomy and Proportion #1 | idrawdigital Check out heroci proportions compared to realistic it gave ma a laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.