• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Jabrosky's Crimes Against Fantasy Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabrosky

Banned
mukondi_s_machete_by_brandonspilcher-d5ivia2.jpg

Machete design that draws on Central African designs (especially the hilt). Inspired by Anders' sword design thread.

Jabrosky

Banned
mukondi_at_work_by_brandonspilcher-d5ixxyj.jpg

Mukondi (formerly Dyese) hunts in the jungle. It looks like she'll bring home some big drumsticks tonight!

I'm relatively proud of how her pose came out here, though in hindsight I could have cluttered up the jungle with more vegetation. I probably spent much more time on this drawing than usual, since I had to experiment with a new pose and a background.

For you paleontologically inclined viewers out there, the dinosaur Mukondi's preparing to shoot is an Ornithomimus. Ornithomimus was a smaller relative of Gallimimus, the ostrich-like dinosaurs which stampeded in Jurassic Park.

To be colored

Last edited:

Jabrosky

Banned
poolside_chillin__by_brandonspilcher-d5j1s2r.jpg

Poolside Chillin'

Her Majesty the Pharaoh dips her legs into her backyard pool, ready to cool off from the hot desert sun. Obviously ancient Egypt inspired the big temple pylon in the far background, but the wall behind our heroine actually draws from Malian architecture in West Africa. Also, this is probably the first time I've drawn someone dipping into water.

Jabrosky

Banned
conan_in_kush_by_brandonspilcher-d5j4ihu.jpg

Conan in Kush

Conan the Cimmerian admires a scenic view of the desert from atop an ancient Kushite colossus.

A lot of Hyborian-themed media featuring the Kushites (e.g. the recent Conan video game) depicts them as stereotypical African tribespeople living in grass huts in a savanna. I wanted to present a contrary, civilized vision of Hyborian Kush that more closely resembled its historical Nubian inspiration. The statue he's standing on is based on the Egyptian Abu Simbel whereas the pyramids in the background are derived from the steep-sided ones in Nubia.

Conan's dress here differs from the brown loincloth he usually dons in fan art, but in the original Howard stories he generally adopts the local outfits and weaponry in the various countries he visits. In hindsight I probably should have given him more clothes to protect his fair skin from the burning southern sun.

Jabrosky

Banned
This is more historical than strictly fantasy, but since some of us at Mythic Scribes specialize in ancient history, this might interest them:

caesar_and_cleopatra_by_brandonspilcher-d5jgstd.jpg

Julius Caesar with Cleopatra VII. I rather like how Cleopatra's...uh, assets came out here.

Jabrosky

Banned
tumblr_mfakooEJk51rjhaoio1_r1_1280.png

This concept art illustrates Asehotep, Pharaoh of Kametu and protagonist of my fantasy novel Lakes of the Moon. Trained in the martial arts and archery from a young age, Asehotep will do everything she can for her people. However, the same belief in her own divinity that compels her to nurture her kingdom has inflated her sense of self-worth. When her half-brother has her dethroned and kidnapped by raiders from the far north, she must lead these raiders to another source of treasure and find her way back to her kingdom and throne.

Jabrosky

Banned
Yeah, I was wondering if that pose was possible to be honest.

mukondi_the_huntress_redesign_by_brandonspilcher-d5qcxz1.jpg

This is my OC Mukondi, a black jungle lady who hunts dinosaurs. This time, I’ve actually gotten around to writing her story. Living in a tropical jungle populated by nomadic foragers, Mukondi belongs to a religious cult of huntresses who worship a Tyrannosaurus goddess personifying the hunt. As the fangs and claws on her necklaces show, she is among the society’s most experienced huntresses, but this has swollen her pride at the expense of her common sense. Early in the story, she gets her band in trouble with a territorial clan of Velociraptors, which ends with tragic consequences.

Her spear’s head and machete are hewn from obsidian, a glassy volcanic rock with a sharpness rivaling metal blades.

Jabrosky

Banned
scar_lip_the_velociraptor_matriarch_by_brandonspilcher-d5qe8jb.jpg

Scar-Lip, the matriarchal leader of a Velociraptor clan, acts as an antagonist for my dinosaur huntress Mukondi. In the story’s world, Velociraptors and humans share a competitive enmity comparable to spotted hyenas and lions in our world’s African savanna. Early in the story, Scar-Lip and her clan confront Mukondi’s band for trespassing into their territory, and violence ensues.

The Velociraptors in my story are a fictional species that combine the anatomy and plumage of real dromaeosaurids with the intelligence and malevolence of Jurassic Park’s iconic villains. They have a much more territorial and violent culture than the nomadic humans. Their society has matriarchal tendencies resembling those of spotted hyenas, with females living in large clans while males tend towards more solitary lives.

Jabrosky

Banned
Couple of quasi-historical Egyptian pin-ups:

rock_them_dreads__nefertari_by_brandonspilcher-d5tbfoq.jpg

Queen Nefertari, famous as the highest-ranking wife of the New Kingdom Pharaoh Ramses II

nitocris_shows_off_her_assets_by_brandonspilcher-d5tv8fd.jpg

Nitocris, a female Egyptian Pharaoh who, according to the historian Manetho, was the last ruler of Egypt's Sixth Dynasty. Legend claimed that she once avenged her brother's murder by inviting the killers to a banquet and then drowning them with a flood drawn from the Nile. However, most scholars doubt that she actually existed, noting that she does not appear in any native Egyptian inscriptions predating Manetho.

Nihal

Vala
I really liked the one from the #52 post. The pose is really appealing, it has balance and speaks about the culture you're portraying. Good job!

I'll keep an eye on your topic. Not only it's a fresh take on fantasy art but you like to draw tribal characters. "Barbarians", indigenous people and cultures deeply linked with their homelands are one of my weaknesses.

Jabrosky

Banned
@ Nihal

I like barbarians too!

australoid_desert_assassin_by_brandonspilcher-d5ufuqo.jpg

Australoid Desert Assassin

Although my character's costume may have a vaguely "Arabian Nights" aesthetic, her physiognomy actually draws from Aboriginal Australians, whom for me represent the quintessential "desert people" even more than the stereotypical Arabs. I really think there ought to be more Australoid OCs in the fantasy fandom.

Although now I look at her again, she also has a bit of a South Indian vibe to her, especially since I've made her face paint red.

middle_kingdom_egyptian_soldiers_by_brandonspilcher-d5uebb9.jpg

Two common soldiers from ancient Egypt, an archer and a spearman. Based on painted wooden models found in the tomb of Mesehti, which dates to the Egyptian Middle Kingdom (2055-1650 BC).

Last edited:

Jabrosky

Banned
And now for something completely different...

nondo_the_dragon_by_brandonspilcher-d5ughcv.jpg

Nondo the Dragon

Getting back into my good old dinosaur mood, here's my take on those other popular giant carnivorous reptiles, the dragons.

Actually, in my own little world, dragons are dinosaurs. However, while they belong to the saurischian branch of the clade Dinosauria, their ancestors branched off from the rest early in their evolution, so you can't really sort them into any of the major dinosaur groups. If I were to draw a phylogenetic tree of the Dinosauria with dragons included, the dragons would branch off just before the sauropod/theropod split.

Anyway, I picture these guys hunting elephants and other larger prey in savannas and jungles. They are very much the apex predators of their native ecosystems. As juveniles, dragons may spew venom, but they lose this ability upon maturation into adulthood.

"Nondo", the other major name for my dragons, is of East African Swahili origin as I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.