• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Just finished my first novel draft, now what?

Dreamhand

Troubadour
Okay Fist... first, nicely done! You wrote a frickin' book, man! You SHOULD feel a little arrogant (and I defy anyone to deny the swagger in their step when they finish that last chapter). You have gone farther than 80% of the writers in the world. :: applause ::

Now... everyone has commented that you're too close to your work and they're right. Getting some distance (temporally, creatively, etc.) between you and the work is vital... one of the most important skills a writer can develop (imho) is objectivity when it comes to their work. That's a tall order (I sure haven't mastered it), but never assume that the awesomeness you believe to be inherent in your work is actually there. It MAY BE THERE... but you're not the one who gets to decide that, right?

So yeah... beta-readers. Trusted ones (preferably other writers) who will give you solid feedback about what is and isn't working. At this point, nothing is set in stone and now is the time to identify any weaknesses or continuity issues, pacing problems, and any of the other hundred and one things that can get between your story and it's amazing potential. As any writer will tell you, EDITING your work is sometimes harder than writing it in the first place ("But that chapter is pure GOLD! I can't just cut it!").

But I'm with Little Storm Cloud... Go for it! :D