• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Kill this Thread

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
^The original Sir Matthew avatar!

EDIT - But this post is at the top of a page, so my ^ is not pointing to anything!

I like that gag when people pretend to stick their hand in the garbage disposal, but pull it out and nothing is wrong. That makes me laugh every time.

Not really.

That reminds me: I watched Of Mice and Men today. John Malkovich saying "Got his hand caught in a machine" makes me laugh every time.

If there is something scary, it's a limbs-eating machine! >.<

Did you get something cool for the sacrifices you've done?

$8.75 per hour.

Nihal, there's a saying where I'm from that goes like this: "The world needs ditch-diggers, too."

My automatic response to that saying has become "Yeah, but now you need a Ph.D in Geology to become a ditch-digger."

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I had a B.A. when I was a ditch digger. Yes, I was an actual ditch digger. I also worked at a chicken factory. Now when I think about my current job if I have a bad day I say, "At least my hands aren't covered in blisters and/or chicken guts."

That's a good outlook. Unfortunately, jobs in Slushland are few and far between, so when I have a bad day I say "At least I'm not covered in meat gunk and disintegrated napkin bits. Oh wait, I am."

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Do you work a job where you don't have to go to where you work? (does that make sense?)

I would love to do a "stay at home and make $8,423 a week" type job, but yeah, they don't exist.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
It's a free for all, so be warned. :)

Also, I think I killed the Word Association thread now. My answer was:

Webster

Emmanuel Lewis.

Don't tell me people don't know who Emmanuel Lewis is? Geez...

Nihal

Vala
I do. Sometimes I worked with companies based around here and had to go to them to do the work, but it pissed me off. Their hardware was awful, freezing all the time, and I lost hours in traffic jams.

But I don't do $8,423 a week. Since I'm a freelancer, the trick is to control your expenses and save money for the "low tide" times. And working from home isn't always peaceful - yet, at least - , people assume you're available to them all the time.

---------
Welcome to another dimension, Jess!

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I've found some websites that offer freelance editing and proofreading jobs, and I've thought about doing some to earn extra money and pad my resume in case I leave teaching at any point and want to get exclusively into publishing or a related field. I still might do that!

I would love a job like that, except my time in Internet land has made me too cynical to accept opportunities like that unless I am 100% sure that they are legitimate.

Mainly, I don't want the police showing up at my door saying "Oh, hey, Mr. Holio? Listen, I'm here to talk to you about that money laundering scheme you've been participating in."

But you know, most of my time on the Internet is spent looking up things like this:
[video=youtube_share;zuDtACzKGRs]http://youtu.be/zuDtACzKGRs[/video]

Last edited:

Nihal

Vala
It's really good to work from home and skip all the hassle to get to work, but it's not so easy. It's a good thing you already have contacts related to your intended work, otherwise you would need to build your network from scratch and depending upon what you intend to do, build audience, etc. Social networks, site, promotion. Must be similar to promotion a self published book.

Yea, scams happen, but it also depends on what you want to do. E.g. It's "easier" to someone to try to not pay me for an illustration (this is why I always ask some % upfront and never handle the finished artwork until fully paid) than when I'm livestreaming a class. This because usually my students are professionals of my field, brazilians. The market is small and they would be professionally burned if they tried to fool me.

Now, a random stranger could perfectly try to walk away with my illustration without paying.

Devora

Sage
A poem i wrote (Non-Fantasy)

The Symphonic Poem

Words that I cannot write down
For I know not the feeling.
A blank page
Just like the day before.

The Poetry of words
Escapes me!

I can’t find the words–those words!
Words that I long to piece together
In fine woven art! The words
That fit best for all time…

But I know not the words–
Those words even blind men know.

I long to write
That symphonic poem.

Last edited by a moderator:

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I wrote a couple poems about writing poetry a while back...

Old Poet

The last person here who wrote
poetry
wrote things that were
angry
wrote things that
bled
wrote things best left
unsaid

that person
packed away the anger
stuffed the angst
into its travel case
took the poetry
on the road
left it at a truck stop
with adolescence
and cold McDonald’s fries

Poet's Road

Is it a road less traveled
or the road of our own
devising?
Once upon a time
ten years ago
two years ago
yesterday
we came upon this road
kicked the detritus
from the cobbles
nervous foals
startled by blowing leaves
we stepped onto the road
mincing
apologetic to the pavement
walked
with burgeoning confidence
strode forward
masterful
on this road we laid
in concrete words
and stone metaphors

I've got to post something silly before this becomes the dedicated poetry thread.

[video=youtube_share;6EfhAFA2yFE]http://youtu.be/6EfhAFA2yFE[/video]

Well, PlotHolio, how about silly poetry?

Pen License

I got a pen license at school,
my bros all think it is cool,
I can stick it in my sheep's wool,
God, my pen license is cool,
you can use it as a tool,
it won't leak in a pool,
don't take me for a fool,
you can ride it on a mule,
and you ain't breaking no rule,
that's right, my pen license is cool.

Something I wrote in fourth grade, I still laugh in my memories! :D