• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Killing off a character.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
No one’s (life and) death should be regarded as unimportant, and even the loss of a complete foreigner should awake some kinds of feelings in another sentient being.

Makes me think of a scene in the Lord of the Rings novel when Sam Gamgee sees the dead body of an Easterling soldier, long-time enemies of Gondor and Rohan, and wonders who he was and where he came from, whether he wanted to be part of the war or if he was being forced into it.

Alva

Scribe
Makes me think of a scene in the Lord of the Rings novel when Sam Gamgee sees the dead body of an Easterling soldier, long-time enemies of Gondor and Rohan, and wonders who he was and where he came from, whether he wanted to be part of the war or if he was being forced into it.

I find these kinds of scenes incredibly humane. : ) Especially when considering the war and the endless battles going on... all the faceless deaths the violence produces.

Sam was one of my favourite characters in The Lord of the Rings, by the way.

This might have already been touched upon, but it might say something about your characters or their culture if they don't respond in the way Sam does.

It's hard when writing my NiP, because death is quite different to the Ancient Romans. Much more commonplace, and in many ways much more honorable than other possible fates.

Alva

Scribe
This might have already been touched upon, but it might say something about your characters or their culture if they don't respond in the way Sam does.

It's hard when writing my NiP, because death is quite different to the Ancient Romans. Much more commonplace, and in many ways much more honorable than other possible fates.

Very true.

Cultural contexts matter a great deal on the general perspective and opinion of the population. Or let's say: culturally acquired perspective and generally accepted opinion. Even in the times of Ancient Rome I doubt everyone felt the same way about sacrificing human lives for the sake of great spectacle, fame, politics and money (if we consider for instance gladiator fights). There always seems to be found nonconformists in any given human population. : )

The short, personal observation Sam makes, tells a great deal about his character. It adds not only depth to the story but also (and especially) to the character. I believe the important word here is "contrast".

And yes, one of the interesting parts of fantasy writing is to explore new cultural concepts and thus for instance ethical and moral codes, customs related to death and beliefs people shared concerning on death and dying. Amongst other things.

Last edited:

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Taking off from what Ben said earlier, killing off characters indiscriminately (especially a really likable character) can go a long way towards making a reader attach themselves emotionally to the surviving characters.

As a reader, if I know that any character could die at any time, it not only makes the story seem more real to me but it also can really increase the tension of the entire story. I can't sit back, content with the knowledge that this character or that one will survive based on their role as a protagonist or supporting character. Any of them can die at any time. If done well, that always hooks me. I try to aspire to the same in my writing.

Last edited:

Struddles

Dreamer
Personally I love killing off characters but it has to fit the situation. One character I have created at the moment because I know where his story arc will finish and he will die because his ending fits the situation. It's something I'm still internally debating as he is not the main character but one of the characters I love.

The thought of killing people is horrid and I can see how a reader dislikes people dying but if their deaths fit in the situations then it is what it is. Every character is capable of dying it is a fact of life and if your character is constantly at risk they will not only face death but most likely face severe injuries. What annoys me more than anything else are characters in some books I've read appear invulnerable never getting hurt never being harmed other then emotionally and it's bothersome. Yes it sucks to write a story and have your main character in the hospital but for the love of all things good people break and get injured.

Killing people off is not always necessary but don't make them invulnerable. That's my gripe on the topic. Killing a character is doable but if you don't want to kill a character they can sustain extreme injuries. Remember the body is exceptionally resilient it is meant to keep you alive every way it possibly can. Everything inside your body is geared to keeping your heart pumping and keeping you alive. Also sometimes there is nothing better then putting a character in a situation that feels absolutely hopeless and then pulling them back from the brink of that hopelessness in a grace or manner that whilst reading books I've literally stood up and cheered.

I think my favorite thing is putting people in a book/movie that you just look at them and say damn I love them so much I know they aren't going to make it though and then at the end of it they are standing shoulder to shoulder with the main character and I just can't help but say, "**** Ya!"