• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Kristin Cashore - Bitterblue

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Just finished Bitterblue. What a great book. If you haven't read Cashore's novels, you're missing out on some special work in the genre.

flicker

Minstrel
I've just finished Graceling so its still fresh in my mind - I thought it was good! It felt like a stand alone novel? Although I'm guessing Fire is a continuation of Katsa and Poe's journey. Sometimes I felt things happened a little to easily for the characters -

like when they found Leck in the woods and then when Katsa killed him - that was very convenient :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Hi flicker - I added spoiler tags to your post. Please use them when you're revealing something significant about a book.

Fire
takes place in a separate part of the world, though it does share some characters from Graceling and have an impact on what happened in that book. Bitterblue brings us back to the same geographic area as Graceling. So far I've liked all three books :)

JediKnightMuse

Troubadour
I LOVED these books! Graceling is my favorite of the three- I would love to reread it but I have a friend that borrowed it and still hasn't finished reading it >.>. I liked Bitterblue but it wasn't the best of the three books.

When I was reading Graceling, I pretty much went "O.O holy crap" because it's exactly the kind of book I try to write all the time- like, I'd have the same kind of plot and twists and romance and the like. I have a story on the back burner (but is my backup story if my idea for NaNo doesn't work out) that I started writing in 2011 for NaNo and I like to think that the idea was influenced by Graceling, so I'm really hoping to go back to it at some point and finish it.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Yeah, Cashore's books are wonderful. She's a very talented writer. I think my favorite has been Fire​, but I put them all on par with one another. Great stories, and told with style and skill.