• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Learning spanish?

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
According to the FSI you can become conversational (B2) in 24 weeks. In reality any language learning depends on how much effort you put into it. There isn't a real timeline. You just need to put in the work.

I took Spanish in school and started well but didn’t progress to conversational. Given that I know now that I’m probably a mixture of gestalt and analytic language processor, that’s probably why I never excelled at learning a new language.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
To learn a language is not a particular thing. It is a project, probably of a lifetime. My French teacher said that he had a Master's degree in the language, then he went to France. He said it was six months before he felt comfortable.

You can "learn French" well enough to ask directions and understand the reply. Or you can learn well enough to read a novel. Or you can learn it well enough to write poetry.

I've spent my life learning English, and that's my native language.

To learn a language is not a particular thing. It is a project, probably of a lifetime. My French teacher said that he had a Master's degree in the language, then he went to France. He said it was six months before he felt comfortable.

You can "learn French" well enough to ask directions and understand the reply. Or you can learn well enough to read a novel. Or you can learn it well enough to write poetry.

I've spent my life learning English, and that's my native language.
By the time I'd lived and worked in Mauritius for 3 months, speaking french the whole time, I was dreaming in french. I'm a bit slow in conversation these days but I still read books in french from time to time.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
You chose a good place in which to learn French. But it does reinforce my French teacher's point. It's one thing to learn a language in a classroom or by other means, and quite another to be fluent, as in living day to day in that language. And I'd say it's yet another thing to know a language well enough to write a novel or poetry in that language.

And, really, there are other ... levels, or aspects. To be able to do comedy, for example. Or do literary criticism. Or translation. So many different rooms in the mansion that is Learning a Language.