• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Legend of Zelda, anyone?

Dragoncat

Minstrel
Wondering if there are any other fans of this awesome series here...if you are, here's some questions to start us out!

1: What was the first Zelda game you owned/played?
2: Do you contribute to the fandom, like being on a fansite? Or fanfiction/fanart?
3: Do you draw inspiration from it for your original works? If so, what?
4: Tell me a few other things about your experience with the series. Can be likes, dislikes, whatever.

1: Twilight Princess. I came into the series late, but I have a friend who was into it since Ocarina of Time. I finally decided to try it when TP came out.

2: Yes. I am a member of Zelda Dungeon.net, same username I have here, and I do fanart and fanfics. I also roleplay there.

3: No. I write enough fanfic that I don't need to, imo.

4: Redeads are scary, I want a loftwing, Wolf Link and Midna are awesome, and I'm a huge sucker for the Link x Zelda pairing in Skyward Sword. Most other games I pair him with someone else, but in SS, those two are simply adorable together.

teacup

Auror
HELLS YEAH!

1) Orcarina of time, but I was very young and never really got far from Kokiri Forest...Scary monsters...When I picked it up again later in life I DESTROYED THEM ALL.

2) Nope, unless buying the games count :p

3) Hmm. Never thought of it, but I'm now sure that the transformation of Link to wolf in Twilight Princess inspired my original creatures, Spirit Wolves.

4) I'd really like a higher difficulty setting for the games, particularly in fights. (Yes, it's a kid's game, really, but why not add different difficulties to cater for others?) I loved the pairing in SS too, and really liked how it was very story orientated, with fantastic cut scenes, and an ending that got a great emotional response from me. Midna is the best sidekick thingy. I absolutely loved Ghirahim in SS, and the Fierce Deity Mask in MM (which should come back in one way or another, imo.)

I'm gonna go ahead and add another question here.
5) What's everyone's favorite Zelda game? This is very hard to choose, for me. I'd have to say either Majora's Mask or Twilight Princess. MM for how different it was and the constant tension and impending doom above you, and the overall darker feel, and TP I found funnest to actually play. (I really enjoyed the final battle, too.)

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
My first Zelda game didn't have a subtitle.

Wow I feel old. :frown2:

JRFLynn

Sage
2: Do you contribute to the fandom, like being on a fansite? Or fanfiction/fanart?
4: Tell me a few other things about your experience with the series. Can be likes, dislikes, whatever.

1: Ocarina of Time, still a favorite.
2: When I was in elementary and middle school, I used to write something along the lines of fanfiction. I'd dabble with sequels, romance and fight scenes, drew pictures, had a little crush on Link, it helped me get through a rough times. I can credit the game for helping me grow as a young writer.
3.:The idea that one person's courage can make a difference, Link's childlike determination and Navi's innocent humor, one reason why I love having children in my tales.
4: The 3D, real-time, fighting system, it really set the bar in the gaming world in my opinion. I loved Majora's Mask because you could repeat the thrilling fights as many times as you wished, coupled with the new abilities of different races, quirky characters, and the fun mask collecting. The sea elves (Zuras?) were my favorite. Loved Gany too. Ganondorf was a memorable, classic villain, though I was a bit confused why he was green...I guess being a sorcerer is bad for your complexion :D The only thing I disliked about the nintendo games was Navi's constant badgering and the Da-Da-Da-DAAAAA every time I picked up a piece of bunk off the floor. It could be a piece of cheese, cardboard, an old scuzzy boot, but Link would still treat it like a holy relic. One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess.

The Legends of Zelda will always have a special place in my heart, great series, great story, great memories.

Dragoncat

Minstrel
I'm gonna go ahead and add another question here.
5) What's everyone's favorite Zelda game? This is very hard to choose, for me. I'd have to say either Majora's Mask or Twilight Princess. MM for how different it was and the constant tension and impending doom above you, and the overall darker feel, and TP I found funnest to actually play. (I really enjoyed the final battle, too.)
I thought about having that question, but because it's so hard to pick just one, I left it out. For me, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

I never got much into Majora's Mask...the time thing, even though you can restart it/slow it down, is annoying. But, being the nerd I am, I went outside and looked at the moon 3 days before the world was supposed to end last year. If it actually had an evil face on it I probably wouldve crapped my pants lol.

C

Chessie

I LOVE Zelda. I played the very first game and Ocarina of Time, which is my favorite. I was also super into the cartoon as a kid.

Dragoncat

Minstrel
I was also super into the cartoon as a kid.
Haven't given the cartoon a try myself...but, generally the Zelda fandom sees it as an embarrassment to the series. It and the CDi games. I do love the "Well excccccuuuusee me princess!" though lol.

@Teacup: The ending of SS...I wanted to see Link and Zelda kiss there. Wouldve been epic. But, then again, it'd probably be next to impossible to pry them off each other!

Last edited:

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Haven't given the cartoon a try myself...but, generally the Zelda fandom sees it as an embarrassment to the series. It and the CDi games. I do love the "Well excccccuuuusee me princess!" though lol.

I used to like the show when I was a kid . . . I tried it recently on Netflix and couldn't watch even a few minutes. Some things are better off left to nostalgia.

danr62

Sage
I love the Zelda games!

My first game was the original, yeah baby. That game is hard!

After that I think I played the Adventure of Link a little, but it was disappointing. Although I was really young so I barely remember it.

The next system we had was a Genisis, so know Zelda games until the N64 came out. Ocarina of Time of course was awesome! I also loved MM when that came out, even though we had to get the stupid graphics booster pack thingy to play it.

I also discovered emulation around this time, so I got to download the SNES game A Link to the Past.

Windwaker, TP, Link's Awakening, the Oracle games, Minish Cap, and Phantom Hourglass were all awesome, too.

I haven't gotten the chance to play SS yet because my Wii won't read discs anymore. :(

The first zelda game I ever owned was Legend of zelda DX for the gameboy. But Ocarina of time was the first one I ever played. That being said Majora's Mask is my favorite zelda game. MM was the fact that I could CONTROL TIME. Being able to go back/ speed up/ slow down time was so cool! I remember as a kid I'd say I'd want to be a super hero with time controlling powers, because I'd be able to get past anything.

I drew fan art. I even made a comic for ocarina of time. I still have it, and every so often I go back and look at it. Just remembering the good old times.

Actually. yes, yes I do. Time travel for one. I ended up making some time traveling assassin's who's job is to make sure time flows in the right direction.
The ruto's inspired some bird people in my comic.
I have always and forever loved Twili. I even participated in a DnD zelda group where I played a Twili. it was pretty awesome.
Actually the whole idea of other races living a long side humans I got from zelda. I like that and always try to include something like that in my work.

I have always loved the Challenges in the zelda series. I liked the little puzzels, moving boxes, pressing switches etc. Zelda always had those awesome memorable temples and challenges you would need to face in order to get to what you want/ what you need. But they hid it so nicely under of layer of slaying aliens, saving baby zoras ,and silly eye drop potions. You know, plot.
I hated Skyward sword because of this. It seemed skyward sword was so. empty? That when ever you wanted to advance a sage/dragon/resident of hyrule instead of cool memorable moment they would instead JUST say "PROVE YOU ARE THE HERO".

All I wanted to do in it was save zelda and the people on the sky town and hyrule, but everything was just holding me back with the constant "PROVE YOUR SELF", "PROVE YOUR SELF" Gee nintendo, don't think you could have been any lazier with plot then that. I can't remember any point in that game were it actually felt like a game and not like a chore.

The only temple I remember in skyward sword right now is that one with the plague zombie things. Where you needed to climb up a rope while zombie goblins would attempt to drag you down. Ya. that temple was awesome. But it doesn't fix the rest of the game for me. Good job nintendo with the link, zelda relationship though.

Dragoncat

Minstrel
@Lunaris: Yeah, I love the twilis too. Real shame they didn't get more love. I wish the ones in Twilight Palace would talk instead of making weird noises...it would be a perfect opportunity to find out more about them. But they might have still been halfway cursed. I have two twili OCs that I use in roleplays. Their names are Clipse and Umbren, plays on the words eclipse and umbra. Fits, right?

SS...well, I disagree with you about the plot, it was fine to me, but to each their own. And the dungeon you're mentioning? Ancient Cistern.

Zelda, man that takes me back Ocarina of time was one of the first games that I owned. Played every console Zelda except skyward sword. The world builder in me, is saddened by the fact their is so much that could be done with the setting that simply is never going to happen.:(

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster

1. The Legend of Zelda
2. No, but I ALMOST played the cartoony one at its first E3 showing, but Nintendo was closing down their booth when I finally got the controller in hand.
3. It's hard not to. Zelda is one of my oldest inspirations in the fantasy world, though I read The Hobbit before the NES existed.
4. Too many likes. The unpopular like: Windwaker is beautiful! The only dislike: a multiplayer party with Link, Zelda, a rock guy and a fish girl doesn't exist.

teacup

Auror
On Skyward Sword: (Very slight spoilers, just about a boss)

The first temple boss...wow, that was awesome. It's the first temple, and a forest temple, as usual. So what do we expect? A spider or plant boss, something like that. Enter the boss room, ready for the plant/spider, or something like that, and there he is. Only the main antagonist of the game, Ghirahim the Demon Lord! The first boss of the game is the first encounter of the main antagonist!

It really caught me off guard, and I loved it. That was a fantastic use of a first boss, and a very memorable moment for me playing.

SS was very fun.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
With three daughters, I never did finish that game. I love it, actually, but didn't get far past the second boss due to lack of time. I need to play games that don't require hours of commitment these days, and I tend to play only multiplayers, usually with my brother. Someday, when the girls are older, we'll play games together or I'll sit through whatever Zelda adventure will be out at that time.

But yeah, the first boss was very cool. Nice to see the face of the enemy from the start, which is rare in games.

kayd_mon

Sage
1. The original. I also played Zelda II, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Wind Waker. I don't keep up anymore, because the N
newer Nintendo systems don't have anything else I want. I hope Nintendo dies soon so other platforms can get Zelda.

2. No. Not into it enough to bother with all that! FWIW, I don't ever write fanfic.

3. Not really. I can't think of one thing that could be reminiscent of the series.

4. I was six when Zelda came out. The game was difficult for me. Zelda II was even worse. The other ones I played were fine, because I was old enough. It's a series that I want to like more, but I just don't. It's fun, it has cool elements, but I just never got wrapped up in the fandom.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I know what you mean about other systems. The worst is when you get a game you like on one system, then a sequel (or game by the same developer) on another. The Wii had Muramasa: The Demon Blade, but Dragon's Crown (same artist) ended up on the PS3. These 3rd-party exclusives drives me nuts. A part of me is inclined to agree with the above--for me, because I prefer multiplayer games. But I guess a part of me hasn't lost the love of Zelda.

Last knight I dreamed my brother gave me a copy of "Knights of Hyrule" or "Hyrulian Something" or something like that. It was a multiplayer Zelda game (like Skyward Sword, not Four Swords). Geeky dream, yes, but it's not my fault I dreamed I was playing a video game that, in my opinion, should exist. The odd part is that the dream didn't turn into something surreal. Aside from the room being cleanroom-white with a flatscreen mounted on the wall, it was just me playing a video game with my brother.

kayd_mon

Sage
It's the business aspect. Exclusive titles are one of the main things that sell a system, and I argue that they're the only thing that keeps Nintendo alive. If you could get Zelda, Mario, Smash Brothers, Metroid, and what else? Pokemon? On other systems, how many people would buy a Wii U? Very few, I think. Nintendo needs to follow Sega. I've read that all the money companies make is from software, not hardware. If Nintendo focused their efforts on game development exclusively, they would be arguably the best one out there. And everyone could benefit from their franchises.

But I have to admit, if I was a haedcore Zelda fan, I'm sure I'd spring for a Wii U, and would have had a Wii before that.

teacup

Auror
If you could get Zelda, Mario, Smash Brothers, Metroid, and what else? Pokemon? On other systems, how many people would buy a Wii U?
The one and only reason I will buy a Wii U is for the new Zelda games for it. (I'll probably get Smash Bros too, but I'm not too bothered.) The only reason I bought the Wii was the same reason.

I am a huge Zelda fan although the newer Zelda games have been less interesting and fun to me. My all time fav is Twilight Princess. It was awesome. And you got to play as a wolf. Sadly they won't make another game like that despite the fans' requests. pity. anyway, here are my answers to the questions:

Ocarina of Time.
I draw, however I don't post my fanart.
Yes I liked Twilight Princess the best because everything was awesome in that game. Graphics, story, puzzles, you name it. I also like the mixture of hope and darkness. that's why I draw things like midna or midna-like creatures/people in my art.
I really love all of the games however I did have trouble with the water temple for majora's mask. it was easy to beat the monsters however, it was time consuming so by the time I got to the last boss I was out of time. :( also if I did have the time the game would glitch somehow or whatever I did wouldn't be effective even though I knew it was what I had to do. :( that's really the only thing I can think of.