• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Level Five

Rexenm

Inkling
I read mostly classic now. Of old, it was one form of fantasy, or another. I won’t big-name-drop here; but the library or second hand store has plenty of examples. If spelling, punctuation, capitalisation, grammar, and paragraphing is the five evolutions of the writing convention, then where do you think you fit into the reading\writing anachronism? You could give some examples, and then share mine.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
"Anachronism" is an interesting choice of words. Sounds like perhaps we're talking about something I managed to miss? No clue what this "five evolutions" is, but I've made a career out of talking about things I really don't know anything about, like dragons, so here we go. What I do know is my team has about 500k words in print, not astonishing by any means but not bad considering when I first joined this forum we not only had no words in print, we didn't even have a Team Lowan.

I've, personally, been writing since I was a small child, consistently and constantly. So, about 45 years. The entirety of that time has been spent learning, right up to about 3 hours ago. I was making lunch and getting my wife ready for a road trip with her mom since then, and now I'm back at it. I would call my wife and I both "senior" writers. We've got the same education and the same amount of time in the trenches. We're not yet at the fabled million words that they say earns one mastery in their craft, but halfway there still gives good bonuses. Plus to intellect, major hits to wisdom and dexterity. A loud voice and little aversion about using it. I've long outgrown the stage where I was concerned about saying the wrong thing. Instead, now I either know the answer or I know where to look, ie, my wife. She's a better researcher than I am, always has been. She's also ten times smarter.

Pro tip: Always marry someone you would describe as smarter and funnier than you are.

Rexenm

Inkling
So you would classify yourself as a proletarian or egalitarian misfit? That is how I would classify myself. I agree that some issues are more colourful than others. I did study of human culture, the disagreement within the discussion. There is a definite before and after for me. I started writing when I thought there was dinosaurs and frog spawn, underground and in the clouds. Not when my parents broke up, nor when I found out about their cheating.

a lot of my inspiration comes from that. The time before I decided that was the case, was a very early memory. When I broke a Mickey Mouse cup, and discovered I couldn’t magic it back. It became intrinsic, and then I began to dream of blowing trees.

intrepidwisteria

"Anachronism" is an interesting choice of words. Sounds like perhaps we're talking about something I managed to miss? No clue what this "five evolutions" is, but I've made a career out of talking about things I really don't know anything about, like dragons, so here we go. What I do know is my team has about 500k words in print, not astonishing by any means but not bad considering when I first joined this forum we not only had no words in print, we didn't even have a Team Lowan.

I've, personally, been writing since I was a small child, consistently and constantly. So, about 45 years. The entirety of that time has been spent learning, right up to about 3 hours ago. I was making lunch and getting my wife ready for a road trip with her mom since then, and now I'm back at it. I would call my wife and I both "senior" writers. We've got the same education and the same amount of time in the trenches. We're not yet at the fabled million words that they say earns one mastery in their craft, but halfway there still gives good bonuses. Plus to intellect, major hits to wisdom and dexterity. A loud voice and little aversion about using it. I've long outgrown the stage where I was concerned about saying the wrong thing. Instead, now I either know the answer or I know where to look, ie, my wife. She's a better researcher than I am, always has been. She's also ten times smarter.

Pro tip: Always marry someone you would describe as smarter and funnier than you are.
The amount of times I’ve said to myself after a conversation with my husband about x, y, or z in regards to my projects, “that is a GREAT idea” and then proceed to marvel at his brain… the funny, part, though? I remind him constantly that other people have to find something funny for it to be a joke (…right?!…).

I read mostly classic now. Of old, it was one form of fantasy, or another. I won’t big-name-drop here; but the library or second hand store has plenty of examples. If spelling, punctuation, capitalisation, grammar, and paragraphing is the five evolutions of the writing convention, then where do you think you fit into the reading\writing anachronism? You could give some examples, and then share mine.
I'm a bit of a hybrid when it comes to reading and writing styles. I appreciate the poetic language of classic literature, but also enjoy the clarity of modern writing conventions.

Tolkien's works are a great example of blending the old with the new. And the Brontë sisters' writing is another great example of romantic and gothic styles.