1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Linux?

Discussion in 'Writing Resources' started by Exline, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Exline

Exline Acolyte

Hello all, I'm new here and I was just wondering if anyone else does their writing on Linux. If so, what apps and utilities do you find most beneficial to your workflow?

2. pmmg

pmmg Auror

I have Linux up at times, but don't really work with it. Secretly, I do most of my writing in Notepad. When on Linux, I just use whatever their text editor is.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

You can use Open Office or Libre Office.

There used to be a beta linux version of Scrivener on the official forums. That had the basic functionality necessary, though not a lot of the bells and whistles.

Focuswriter is a nice, simple text editor, and I probably used that the most when I was on linux.

4. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Sage

I don't write a lot on my Linux machine, which is mostly reserved for browsing online (and to keep my recipes, as it's in the kitchen). I may jot down lines of poetry or ideas in Libre Office (I actually write in Open Office on Windows most of the time). Now that Notepad++ finally works decently on Linux I use it quite a bit for note-taking and that sort of thing (on all my computers).

5. Exline

Exline Acolyte

SteerpikeSteerpike
    Yeah, Scrivener's cool, but the beta's dead: It requires deprecated codecs. Last I checked the official release would run with WINE but involved too many headaches with the file system, import/export, and was incompatible with markdown docs. FocusWriter is definitely solid (and current), though

6. Exline

Exline Acolyte

Insolent LadInsolent Lad
    Haven't used Notepad++ before. Thanks for the suggestion; I should probably check it out. As for notes, have you given Joplin a try?

7. Exline

Exline Acolyte

So...Vi?
    Pretty sure it's required on all distros for POSIX compliance.

8. pmmg

pmmg Auror

I think the editor is gedit. Its kind of no frills.

9. Exline

Exline Acolyte

Ah, yeah, Gnome.

10. Rkcapps

Rkcapps Sage

Scrivener is my tool of choice.

11. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Sage

Joplin is another of those apps that does way more things than I need or care about. Simple guys need simple tools! :)