• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Locked in the Ivory Tower: Is Book Learning Enough?

Corwynn

Troubadour
Something has been bothering me for a while now.

People say “write what you know”. I know a lot of things, but most of that comes from books, media, second-hand sources, and observation from afar. But when people say “write what you know”, what they really mean is personal hands-on experience.

Unfortunately, I have had very few life experiences for someone my age. I have never had a real career, I have never been in a romantic relationship, I have hardly travelled at all outside of my home province, I can’t even drive a car, and so on. I worry that my lack of experience will prevent me from writing believable characters, scenes, and settings. If one should only “write what you know”, then the kinds of stories I can tell are extremely limited.

Some writers, like Joseph Malik who coined the term, practice “Method Writing”, whereby they do the actual things (or reenactments thereof) that they intend to write about. Guy Gavriel Kay would visit the countries that his fantasy cultures are based on to get a feel for what they are really like. However, this is not an option for me. I do not have the money, free time, mobility, or physical fortitude do things like go on the Grand Tour of Europe, or trek through the Danakil Desert with the Foreign Legion. Instead, I have to content myself with what I can glean from indirect sources, logic, and imagination.

One of the reasons I want to write in the fantasy genre is that, since I have make up a lot of the aspects of telling a story anyway, like character dynamics, I might as well go the whole hog. If I slip up, maybe no-one will notice underneath all the magic and exotic scenery.

The question is: is that enough? Some things are misrepresented or left out of media and second-hand stories, things that wouldn’t occur to someone if they hadn’t experienced it for themselves. For example, I didn’t know that arrows can and do routinely pass clean through their target until very recently because every single piece of fiction gets this one wrong. I could read all there is to know on a given subject, only to be tripped up by a rookie mistake that throws all credibility out the window.

Does this mean that, since I’m not a soldier and probably never will be that I can’t write war stories? Does my lack of wilderness survival training mean I can’t write about a skilled woodsman? Because I’ve never been in love, does that mean I can’t write a romance plot? Admittedly, this doesn’t stop people from trying, but I want my writing to be good. I want it to resonate with my readers, to rise above the slush pile, and to suspend their disbelief.

So my question for you is: can I get away with just a combination of book learning, intuition, and logical deduction; or am I just out of luck unless and until I can get the hands-on experience I need?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
So my question for you is: can I get away with just a combination of book learning, intuition, and logical deduction; or am I just out of luck unless and until I can get the hands-on experience I need?
Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: yes - as long you're aware of your limitations, do your research, and don't try to pass yourself off as an expert on something you don't know anything about.

I've never jumped on to a moving train from a bridge, but I recently wrote a scene in which my main character does just that. I may have seen it happen in movies, but my guess is that it'll be different if it's done in real life. Is the scene good? I'd like to think it's decent enough, but I've yet to hear back from a beta reader about it.

Similarly, within the SciFi genre there are plenty of stories that deal with space battles in various shapes and most likely there isn't anyone writing about it that's experienced that in person (naval battles might be similar, but don't go ruining my example now).

If you've never been on a hike through the countryside, then maybe you shouldn't go into excruciating detail about the rigors of tracking an escaped assassin through uncharted mountains. You can still write about the hunt though. Describe the excitement of working towards a goal and finally achieving it - only to have it slip away out of reach again at the very last moment. Focus on the parts you know something about.

There's more than one way to skin a cat as they say. Make things up.

There was a similar thread a while back, and in one of the posts (here: I Think I...Suck at Research.) you'll find the following passage:
It makes me think, maybe "write what you know" isn't meant to be interpreted "don't write what you don't know" but "make the best use of what you know in your writing." I think with emotional experiences, or experiences that are hard to research, this is something that we have to learn to utilize. Even a tiny detail that feels real can help a scene.
I think this is really good advice.

Don't let your lack of experience stop you from trying. If your story involves something that you don't know anything about, don't draw attention to that.

My previous WIP included my character driving a horse drawn sled through a snow storm. My only experience with horses is that my sister went to riding school when she was seven years old. I've got no idea what it's like to drive a carriage under such conditions, or if it's even possible. I've been cold and lonely at night though, and I've seen snow.
Instead of focusing on the driving, I focused on the cold and the dark. It's a great scene that I'm really happy with, but it has nothing to do with horses or driving a carriage, even if that's what my character is doing.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Write what you know can be used in different ways.

The most obvious is from from first hand experience. BUT it also applies to knowing how to take your own personal experiences and use them to extrapolate what it's like to experience something completely foreign.

Nobody has first hand experience flying an X-wing. But we can use our own experiences to imagine what it's like. We can use what it's like to ride fast on your bike and bank and jump off curves, etc.

It takes more than just experience to write something well and be convincing. IMHO writers are masters of faking it. (In other words talking out of our arses.) In order to write well, you have to practice just writing. You have to accept that you won't succeed at first. You'll probably fall short quiet a lot, but the more you write, the better you'll get.

Now, because you're young, there will be stories that you probably won't be able to write until you get older and experience life. BUT at the same time, there are stories that an older person can't write because they're too old.

IMHO, writing is about expressing a point of view, showing the world through your character's eyes and by extension through your eyes. Right now you see the world a certain way because of your lack of life experience, and that's something you can used to your advantage. It's what you know.

When you get older, you'll see the world differently than you do now, and it'll be a lot harder to go back and see the world through your younger eyes and convey that to the reader.

So, try not to worry about it. Just write what ever you want. Do your best using what experience you have, and don't get discouraged if you fall short. The process of becoming a better writer is a marathon not a sprint.

IMHO, the only failure in writing is in giving up.

If you think you will ever, ever, ever in your life want to write novels, you owe it to your future self to start now.

Corwynn, when I was younger, I felt as you describe now. I used that as an excuse to not attempt to write a novel back then. Now I'm trying to write a novel, and have spent the last five years learning the basics instead of churning out novels, because I didn't make the effort to learn when I was younger. When I reached the age where I had accumulated life experiences enough for writing a novel, I couldn't just start writing one. I was behind the curve because I hadn't learned the basics.

There is so much that goes into writing a novel, and the sooner you start at it, the more prepared you'll be when you do feel comfortable about writing what you know or making stuff up. And who knows, if you start now, you might find that you have stories you feel are worth publishing, despite your supposed lack of experience.

When your future arrives, if you don't start now, you'll be regretting having wasted the opportunity you have now to learn and prepare. Take it from someone who faced your same dilemma and made the wrong choice.

goldhawk

Troubadour
Write what you know; and if you don't know, find out. If you don't have personal experience, talk to those who do. The internet is great for this.

For example: X-wings fighters. They fly like airplanes, not spacecraft. But you would not find this out except by talking to rocket engineers. So, don't be afraid. Contact people at NASA or the ESA. You can use their experiences for your work.

Russ

Istar
The only way to really answer that question is to give it your best shot and see what you can produce. Don't let your doubts hold you back, write the best work you can, and learn from the process.

By the by, the idea of "method writing" goes back long before the awesome Mr. Malik.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
You may not think you have anything to offer, but no one else exists in your head. You have your own voice and your own imagination and your own fears. You have your own hopes and your own wishes and your own loves. I love it when a writer of any age is brave enough to put themselves on the page. it takes some serious courage but when they do it I find that what they produce can be so fresh and new and exciting because I've never seen it before. I've never read anything from your head before, with your perspective.

Here is the thing, maybe you have never travelled, or suffered loss, or loved, but you do have your own perspective and opinion on things. Allow those perspectives to break loose. Put them on the page. Write a character who has the same opinions as you do on certain things. Take an issue or a topic you feel strongly about and turn it into a story. You don't have to have life experience to be good.

You just have to have something to say.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Stop. Stop everything. Put your writing aside. You're not ready. I'm serious.

Take out a sheet of paper and make a list: Twenty things that you have struggled with in your life. Honestly, it'll probably take a week for you finish it, and it might be difficult for you emotionally, and one item will probably be "Writing this stupid list because it drags up all my baggage." Do it anyways.

At the end, relabel the list as twenty things you know for your writing. Then tear it up because you don't want to limit yourself. Now you can proceed with your writing.

You see, good writing isn't about magic or first kisses or anything else. It's about overcoming a character's struggle. "Write what you know" is a terrible way to phrase the advice. A better one might be, use your writing as a way to share your struggles. Not directly, but by way of analogy or allegory, "I've never killed someone like my character has, but unfortunately I've caused lasting harm, and I know that emotional struggle. I can draw on it for this character's experience."

The only thing you need to know that you can't just learn from a book is emotional depth. And I do believe everyone has it if they can take a moment to find it in themselves.

Corwynn

Troubadour
Thank you for your kind responses.

You're right, I already have most or all of things I really need to write a good story. At this point, I'm as ready to start as I'll ever be. I guess I'm just nervous about taking the plunge and committing to it. I'm like that with a lot of things really. Worrying about how good my writing is before I've even written anything is premature.

I'm going to try to get ball rolling over winter break, and start writing some actual stories. If it isn't up to snuff, I can always revise it or move on to something new. I don't know if I'll succeed in breaking out of my rut, but I'll give it a shot.

Russ

Istar
Thank you for your kind responses.

You're right, I already have most or all of things I really need to write a good story. At this point, I'm as ready to start as I'll ever be. I guess I'm just nervous about taking the plunge and committing to it. I'm like that with a lot of things really. Worrying about how good my writing is before I've even written anything is premature.

I'm going to try to get ball rolling over winter break, and start writing some actual stories. If it isn't up to snuff, I can always revise it or move on to something new. I don't know if I'll succeed in breaking out of my rut, but I'll give it a shot.

Great perspective there Corwynn. Give it your best shot and try to have fun doing it. If you hit a rut feel free to chat about it here, being around like minded people can often help you rediscover the fun of writing and give you new impetus. That is one of the reasons I enjoy writer conferences so much, I always leave them full of energy and ready to dive back into my project. Writing can be a lonely activity, but it doesn't have to be!

Rkcapps

Sage
Everyone has said it all beautifully.

One thing I'll add is, "write what you know" should be "write what you love" because if you don't love it, you'll give up and no one wants that to happen. You can do this, don't talk yourself out of it before you try. Flaunt a young voice. Play up to it. Good luck!

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team

That's the spirit.

Just have at it. Failure is a great teacher, and the act of just doing, without expectation, can be a great motivator.

Be brave! Write your story! :)

kudos to svrt for quoting a post I made ages ago. I've had all of these feelings you're describing before, or similar (and also haven't had a romantic relationship or a job.) I'll share some things that I've learned about the way personal experience and writing interact.

First of all, If you can't get your own experience, the next best thing is to steal someone else's. And by that I mean be a neurotic magpie about every scrap of information that could be useful. If you want information about an experience you don't have, find and ask someone who does. Ask how it felt. Hoard and save their descriptions of their experience--the colorful, crunchy words, the turns of phrase they use that evoke the experiences strongly. I have a (probably a little weird) habit of always asking questions about the most mundane things I haven't experienced. My friend passed out from the heat on a hike one time. (I wasn't there.) I asked her what that was like because I've never had such a thing happen. She probably thought it was a little weird but oh well.

But more importantly, use what you do have. We always focus on what we haven't experienced and neglect the fact that we've lived, we're living beings and we have experiences that connect us to everything. We may not have the exact experiences we need, but we have pieces, near matches. Anything that gets you closer is a step.

I should say first that I believe that feelings > facts. To explain: Say you are writing a battle scene. You could focus on avoiding factual errors--you could try on a suit of armor, shoot a longbow, etc. I'm sure that would give your battle scene a great, realistic spark. But more important, imo, are the feelings. The dread you feel seeing the enemy gather, the overwhelming noise and tumult of battle, the horror of witnessing your comrades go down around you, etc.

But you have never been in a real battle, of course, so how does this help? Use what you have.

If I were planning this scene, I could hit up various websites to deal with the nitty-gritty. How heavy is a sword or a suit of armor? Things like that. All that is the foundation. After that, I would start combining those facts with my experiences.

I've never been in a battle and been overwhelmed by the noise, but I've been in crowds and public places and gotten sensory overload from it. Maybe I have some idea of what it's like to be frightened and disoriented and surrounded by activity and maybe that could be applied to a battle. The crowd didn't have any screaming of pain and terror in it (thankfully), but I've heard a similar scream before and remember how it sounded and how it affected me.

I've been in a few scary, if not life-threatening, situations. I remember how they affected me, mentally--how my focus seemed to narrow down, how outside noise seemed to dull, how my thoughts were in broken, intermittent loops but my body was robotically moving.

Unfortunately, my experience with anxiety leaves me very experienced with terror, panic, and thinking I'm going to die. Maybe that's helpful.

What about before the battle? I've experienced dreading lots of things. i've stayed up at night thinking about the different outcomes of how something could turn out, and I've had nightmares before something happening too. Maybe that's helpful.

And so on and so forth. You can do this with facts too--if you know what blood smells like, if you've ever heard a frightened horse.

Maybe you've never had to bury your dead comrade, but maybe you've had to bury a pet. Maybe you've lost someone you loved. In my personal opinion, being able to write about how things FEEL is more important than knowing that bowstrings don't creak when you pull them back. (then again, you can read all you want about bows on the internet!)

You can approximate experiences too. Maybe you won't get a chance to wear chain mail, but you can find the weight of a mail shirt online and try walking/jogging with some stuff equaling a similar weight over your shoulders. Do some physical stuff your character has to do and see how difficult it is with the extra weight. Your family might think you are crazy, but don't worry, it's normal to be crazy when you're a writer.

Lastly, you can also focus on the details you know best. Say you are writing about a long journey on foot. You don't know what it's like to camp in the wilderness. You don't know what you'd eat. But what you do know about is walking. (Currently I have healing blisters on my feet from jogging so that's why this came to me.) So focus on the being sore and the blisters and how miserable that is. Heck, if you know about blisters from too much walking, have your character get blisters just so you can write about it. Fudge the rest using internet research, but describe those painful blisters crisply.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Absolutely, read broadly, read in the areas you need knowledge in, and take any and every opportunity to get first-hand experience - much of which you can get surprisingly cheaply. Want to know what it looks like when someone bleeds out? Dump a gallon and a half of water (or food-colored water) on concrete and see what it does. Blood is thicker, of course, but the volume is impressive as hell.

There are also wonderful guide books out there specifically for writers. I highly recommend hunting them down and having a good read.

I think that the character's feelings aren't that important. Their actions, thoughts and the motivations behind the actions are always more interesting.

I didn't really mean it in that context. I meant that conveying emotional and sensory experiences in a story is more important for the reader's investment than having your facts correct.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
I think that the character's feelings aren't that important. Their actions, thoughts and the motivations behind the actions are always more interesting.

Aren’t the actions, thoughts, and motivations driven by feelings, though? Motivations are feelings. I’m not motivated to do something if I don’t care one way or another about it.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Aren’t the actions, thoughts, and motivations driven by feelings, though? Motivations are feelings. I’m not motivated to do something if I don’t care one way or another about it.
Gonna have to agree, here. Feelings and emotions are our basic motivators - unless we're having a miscommunication, here?