• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looking for Opinions on Some Invented Creatures

Mindfire

Istar
Yeah, but direwolves are established monsters. People have an image in their head about what direwolves are and what they can do. Giving them all those special magical powers is like giving an elf a war hammer.
Well, I do take your point. I'm hoping direwolves aren't too firmly established beyond the D&D/Warcraft community. But then again, that community is probably going to be a substantial part of my audience, so it's a catch 22. That said, I don't see why one couldn't give an elf a warhammer... It's a "my book, my rules" vs "audience expectations" kind of deal I suppose. I'll have to give it some thought. I'll keep the name as a placeholder for now.

My elf in Skyrim had a warhammer. Just sayin' :p
If we had a like button on this site, I would have liked this. xD

Last edited:

Mindfire

Istar
Someone earlier mentioned making a note on temperaments. I've come up with a sliding scale:

Docile: generally non-threatening, only dangerous if panicked
Skittish: can be dangerous if spooked, but is more likely to run than attack
Aware: will attack intruders, but will run from large threats
Testy: best avoided, will attack if provoked, does not flee confrontations
Aggressive: avoid at all costs, will attack without provocation

I kind of have an idea about which ones to apply to which creatures, but I'd like to hear some suggestions, too. I'm also taking suggestions on lifespans.

Last edited:

Aravelle

Sage
Hmmm...I do, like the pre-historic influence. However, they're all so dangerous or "super powered" [i.e. direwolves]. It wouldn't hurt to have some with weaknesses.
I also agree direwolves should have another name. Your beasts are somewhat different.. everyone here has made excellent points.
Do you have any normal critters? Like...chickens, for an example? xD I know these are supposed to be the special ones but I want to make sure.

Mindfire

Istar
Hmmm...I do, like the pre-historic influence. However, they're all so dangerous or "super powered" [i.e. direwolves]. It wouldn't hurt to have some with weaknesses.
I also agree direwolves should have another name. Your beasts are somewhat different.. everyone here has made excellent points.
Do you have any normal critters? Like...chickens, for an example? xD I know these are supposed to be the special ones but I want to make sure.

I have deer. And horses. And sheep. And cattle.

Jabrosky

Banned
While we're on the subject of wildlife in our stories...

I have a big cat species which is spotted like a leopard, but grows as large as a tiger and has social behavior similar to lions. I was originally going to call these animals simply "panthers", but then people associate that word with melanistic (all black) leopards. What should I call my fictional feline?

Mindfire

Istar
While we're on the subject of wildlife in our stories...

I have a big cat species which is spotted like a leopard, but grows as large as a tiger and has social behavior similar to lions. I was originally going to call these animals simply "panthers", but then people associate that word with melanistic (all black) leopards. What should I call my fictional feline?

How about leonids? Or leonines?