• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Magical power-need ideas

Foxkeyes

Minstrel
I'm working on a new idea and I have the basic plot planned. who they major characters are and who the opposing force are. I am having a little problem in deciding on the special magical powers the main characters have and it's central to the story.
In the story there is a priesthood that believe that one day a person with this form of magic will be their destruction so through out the years they have been on the look out for anyone like that.
A some of the priests have magical abilities and know what they are to expect when it comes to this person and the power he/she possesses. What I can't make my mind on is the power this person possesses, it has to be something that creates this fear in the priest so I guess it has to be powerful magic. Something that could threaten their whole existence.

I know that this is very vague but I would love some ideas to what this power could be.

Instead of just creating some powerful magic, you could increase the drama by finding the origin of the magic.

Perhaps this magic is something that combines an attack on their religion with a physical attack on the priests.

If you create a bit of history behind the religious order, it may reveal some weaknesses that can be exploited to undermine them. You could build a 'custom' magic power around that weakness. And perhaps the 'one' that is born with the 'power' can be connected to the priests' history. Initially the 'one' is unaware of what their power can do. But when the priests come after them, and the 'one' is forced to use their power to defend themselves, the character realises just how special a power they have. Not only can they defeat the pursuing priests, but they can destroy the entire religion.

The twist is: by initially pursuing the character, the priests inadvertently alert the 'one' to their special power, and doom themselves.

Queshire

Istar
*cough* Just saying, but ya might want to check the date a thread was posted before replying.

Of course it's still interesting to think about things like this.

Foxkeyes

Minstrel
*cough* Just saying, but ya might want to check the date a thread was posted before replying.

Of course it's still interesting to think about things like this.
Ahaha Yes. I just noticed. But you're right. It's still interesting to think about these things. :)

JBCrowson

Troubadour
I'm working on a new idea and I have the basic plot planned. who they major characters are and who the opposing force are. I am having a little problem in deciding on the special magical powers the main characters have and it's central to the story.
In the story there is a priesthood that believe that one day a person with this form of magic will be their destruction so through out the years they have been on the look out for anyone like that.
A some of the priests have magical abilities and know what they are to expect when it comes to this person and the power he/she possesses. What I can't make my mind on is the power this person possesses, it has to be something that creates this fear in the priest so I guess it has to be powerful magic. Something that could threaten their whole existence.

I know that this is very vague but I would love some ideas to what this power could be.
How about the power to discern truth from lies? That makes the person dangerous to anyone whose power depends on falsehood, but won't make them invincible in a fight.

Fettju

Minstrel
I watched some videos of a jewish rabbi yesterday, and he talked about how the blessings of god need a vessel, and the more you think you deserve or the more you want, or the more you have "prepared the terrain" for it (for example running a business) the more blessings/larger blessing you will get. (The vessel being your work that needs blessings in the case of a business or a family for instance, or yourself in the case of believing in that you deserve it)
He talked about the story in the bible about a woman who was dead poor and had nothing left and she had to sell her son, but the prophet told her to gather containers from all her friends and neighbours and fill them with the oil she had left in her last container. Then after she had filled all the containers with oil, the boy said "there are no containers left", and it was him saying that which stopped the miracle.

So, two ideas from that:
1 Maybe the priesthood with their power over the people are teaching them that they are not worthy of blessings of the gods, and because of that they never get enough blessings to break free of poverty and come out from under the heel of the priesthood (and the nobility? that gets all the blessings they imagine?)
And this main character has a magic that on touching someone, washes away any preconcieved idea that they are not worthy of large blessings, and when the blessings start to come, the people will rise up against the priesthood and the nobility.

2 The priesthood and the nobility are on top just like in (1), but the people get the blessings. It's just that are limited because they are so poor, so they can only get a small blessing, because they have no possibility to start a business, and they only deserve so much so the blessings are always small and really don't change anything for the people.
But the magic of the character is that if he touches someone, the blessings they will recieve go way beyond what they deserve or what they have prepared. So a poor man asking for something from the gods so he can feed his family, and then he is touched by the main character and after he finds a purse full of gold that fell out of some noble's horse carriage, etc. A poor widow with three sickly dying sons ask for the gods to let them to live, and instead they become very strong nouriched and start a Robin Hood-movement in the forest.

The priesthood needs to kill the main character or the whole land will change and the MC will naturally become the high priest instead of them