• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Magitech

LostName

Dreamer
lol, true. If the setting is not clear cut about whether it's scifi ore fantasy or even both (e.g. Outlaw Star, space opera with taoist magic of sorts) than the true nature of something can have important implications.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
What gets to me is when the character inside the story seem to be perfectly clear in where the line lies between natural and supernatural. Even more, when all the characters in the world appear to agree on where the line is drawn. It's my experience that we humans vary wildly in where we believe the line is drawn.

As Queshire says, having different people differently perceive what is magic and what is normal can provide rich ground for story telling. In my own world of Altearth, for example, gnomes make extremely clever devices. Mostly small, mostly as diversions rather than as tools for work, but some outsiders regard some of the things they make as having been made by magic, or are operated by magic. Gnomes themselves assert they have no magic, that it is a matter of craft. In fact, there are many lines drawn and there are varying vocabularies associated with them. Some speak of craft, others magic, others call it art, still others refer to prayer, incantations, skills, and so on. Similarly, there are numerous forms of "magicians" in the world. No need for absolute clarity or even absolute consistency.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
In the Books of Binding we have a handful of wizard schools of magic that fall under the 'magitech' mantle. We have Mechanomancers who have affinities for machines. These are one of our types of golem builders. Tinkers are normally considered to be wizards of minor ability and often work in family groups. They are capable of inventing complex magical items such as weapons and armor and focus objects. And then we have the newest of the schools, Technomancy. Two words: Spell gif. Often found working in preternatural internet cafes as "pest" control.

With our next couple of series, we're going to explore even further down this road. It's very cool and very exciting! :D

Often found working in preternatural internet cafes as "pest" control.
Understandable. Gremlins eating your internet connection are the worst...
Tinkers are normally considered to be wizards of minor ability and often work in family groups. They are capable of inventing complex magical items such as weapons and armor and focus objects.
That does feel like a limited list. Don't get me wrong, magical swords are awesome! However, there are so many more items that would be amazing if they had some magical properties. A magical stove that never burns your food. Or the magical walking cane that prevents blisters. Or...