• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Making the perfect world

Varamyrr

Minstrel
Hello everybody,

For my current WIP in which I have already invested quite some time(mostly writing down cool stuff and thinking out factions and nations). Technology-wise, the world is set in a medieval atmosphere for which I'm loosely inspired by the 100-years war between England and France. I admit that I am a huge fan of Game of Thrones(pre-HBO) and The Witcher. Obviously, since I like those 2 products alot I'll most likely be inspired by them.

Now then, since every fantasy novel requires a map I'm currently 'creating' my world in Photoshop. I have found quite some usefull brushes and tutorials but I never seem to be content with what I'm producing. More specificaly, the general shape of my continents.

Here isthe stuff that I'd like to see:
- A mainland (think England) with on the other side of the sea another big land(think France). Basicly 2 countries that are fighting for the throne. (succession-war)
- The north of the mainland is only slightly connected(bottleneck). While part of the kingdom, they want to rule themselves. The natural 'border' more or less allows them to do so. For this, I'm looking at Scottisch/Irish influences.
- At the same time, there is another country invading the mainland from the south. This country is basicly becoming too big is therefor obliged to expand. And they are after the natural resources. Culturewise I'm thinking German here.
- Finally I'd like to add a faction that resides on islands that basicly raid the coast for resources. While raiding they take what they can get and go as far inland as possible while still remaining close to the water. Think Vikings.

Basicly, I'm just wondering if what I'm trying to do is realistic, what I think it is. Did you guys also had/have the idea that whatever you create isn't what you thought it should be? Geographically, do you think that I'm heading to the right direction or do you think I'm completely missing the boat?

Cheers,
Vara

Basicly, I'm just wondering if what I'm trying to do is realistic, what I think it is. Did you guys also had/have the idea that whatever you create isn't what you thought it should be? Geographically, do you think that I'm heading to the right direction or do you think I'm completely missing the boat?

Not knowing anything about Game of Thrones (gasp went the crowd), I believe you can't go too far wrong by basing a fictional culture on a real one. You save some time and headache by giving the reader a couple of broad hints and going on from there.

There's always going to be a gulf between the way things look in your head and the way they look on paper. That's part of the writing business. And no, you don't get used to it.

Good luck with your project.

FireBird

Troubadour
First, I'd like to point out that you are wrong when you say every fantasy world needs a map. There are more fantasy books without maps than with them.

Right now all you're telling me right now is the setting of the book. If you pull it off right it can work wonderfully and if not it could be terrible. It looks like you are leaning towards historical fantasy since you have so many ideas from the real world in your story. If you want to read an author that does that right just read Guy Gavriel Kay. I can't tell you if you are headed in the right direction or not since you have only begun world building and haven't actually started writing the story. My advice would be to just write it and see where it takes you. It might work out and it might not, you never know.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Vara
Since you've described what is basically NW Europe, then it is very possible.
Personally I wouldn't spend too much time now making a perfect map, keep it to a rough sketch that you can change and refine as the story's needs grow... [I like paper because pencil and eraser are quick but photoshop (etc.) work too]
[I don't know much/anything about 'Game of Thrones' either...]

Jabrosky

Banned
I've struggled with worldbuilding too, but my main issue is indecision. I can't make up my mind on my world's geography or all the things that I want in it. All I do know with near certainty is that it must feature the following:

* A frigid northern region with Ice Age mammals (e.g. woolly mammoths and saber-toothed cats) and white people with a Nordic/Celtic cultural flavor
* A warm and relatively dry region populated by very dark-skinned black people whose relatively advanced civilization mixes Egyptian and sub-Saharan African cultural influences
* A tropical rainforest region with dinosaurs and mahogany-brown "Australoid" people with a more South Indian/New Guinean/Melanesian cultural flavor, with the South Indian influence being particularly visible in their stone architecture.

Right now my current muse is to have these regions be distinct continents that are separated by great geographic distances but are nonetheless connected by wormholes or magic portals which merchants and adventurers use for inter-continental travel.

One problem is that the protagonists for my ideal story would visit all three of these continents. The leading man would come from the chilly Nordic continent, his love interest from the dry African-esque continent, and maybe one other character from the jungle continent, but then there is the challenge of juxtaposing people from very different cultures and continents into one team...

First, I'd like to point out that you are wrong when you say every fantasy world needs a map. There are more fantasy books without maps than with them.

Really? I'm not saying every fantasy book needs a map (my first novel doesn't have one for instance), but I cannot think of the last fantasy novel I've read without a map. ...and I've read hundreds.

I guess I am just questioning that there are more without than with. I think those without are probably from people that didn't want to take the time to commission someone for a map. I can't imagine not wanting to have one if it was an option.

And thinking about this some more, I guess I am defining "fantasy" to be more of the adventure (whether epic, s&s, historical, political or whatever) tales as opposed to say, romance. Obviously, Twilight probably does not have a map.

Varamyrr

Minstrel
Thanks for your input guys!

Vara
Since you've described what is basically NW Europe, then it is very possible.
Personally I wouldn't spend too much time now making a perfect map, keep it to a rough sketch that you can change and refine as the story's needs grow... [I like paper because pencil and eraser are quick but photoshop (etc.) work too]
[I don't know much/anything about 'Game of Thrones' either...]

Well I'm Belgian and I always adored the medieval history of Europe.(dark ages till late middle ages). But you have a point there, drawing it does allow me to do some quick changes. But is hasn't got the style

Ok, you got me there. :) As Zero Angel noted, Twilight has got no map and is considered fantasy. Now I must admit that I'm a visual guy. That is to say, when I read a fantasynovel then the first thing I do is imprint the map in my head. Once the story starts and people start moving then I can easily follow where they are headed.
eg: When Frodo leaves Rivendel there are 3 ways to cross Caradhass(the mountains): Go over it, go under it(Moria) or go around it(Gap of Rohan/Isengard). I'm the kind of guy that likes to know how far that is, whats the best way, where do they end up after it(eg: lothlorien), etc... Now being able to reproduce something like this (technically), I can really get mad at myself for not being able to think it out. Basicly putting something that's inside my head onto paper.

I believe you can't go too far wrong by basing a fictional culture on a real one. You save some time and headache by giving the reader a couple of broad hints and going on from there.

I don't plan on using a real culture in my novel. To be more specific, I always liked the disputes between the English and the French, especially when it cames to heritages. Think Willem of Normandy and the whole bloodline/heritage discussion that came after it. But that's about as far as it goes.
I've written down a list of characteristics for myself of stuff that I want in:
- Treason/Politics
- Love
- Passion/Lust
- War(on a worldly scale)
- Magic, till a degree
- Friendship
- Hope
- Action(lots of it)
- Monsters
- Sudden deaths(everybody can die)
- Religion (which has an impact on the story)
- Houses, Family's and Bastards
- "Rich" language (filthy words)
- No-nonsense approach

I don't really know if this - when properly executed - makes it a historical fantasy novel. As far as I know it would rather make it a SnS. But hey, as long it's good..

Cheers,

JonSnow

Troubadour
Hello everybody,

For my current WIP in which I have already invested quite some time(mostly writing down cool stuff and thinking out factions and nations). Technology-wise, the world is set in a medieval atmosphere for which I'm loosely inspired by the 100-years war between England and France. I admit that I am a huge fan of Game of Thrones(pre-HBO) and The Witcher. Obviously, since I like those 2 products alot I'll most likely be inspired by them.

Now then, since every fantasy novel requires a map I'm currently 'creating' my world in Photoshop. I have found quite some usefull brushes and tutorials but I never seem to be content with what I'm producing. More specificaly, the general shape of my continents.

Here isthe stuff that I'd like to see:
- A mainland (think England) with on the other side of the sea another big land(think France). Basicly 2 countries that are fighting for the throne. (succession-war)
- The north of the mainland is only slightly connected(bottleneck). While part of the kingdom, they want to rule themselves. The natural 'border' more or less allows them to do so. For this, I'm looking at Scottisch/Irish influences.
- At the same time, there is another country invading the mainland from the south. This country is basicly becoming too big is therefor obliged to expand. And they are after the natural resources. Culturewise I'm thinking German here.
- Finally I'd like to add a faction that resides on islands that basicly raid the coast for resources. While raiding they take what they can get and go as far inland as possible while still remaining close to the water. Think Vikings.

Cheers,
Vara

As always, it will come down to how you execute the plot, develop the characters, and enrich the world. I think medieval europe is a great model for any "war for succession" type plot, and I think yours will be no exception.

As far as the map goes, I'd keep a "working model" that you can adapt as the story progresses. I wouldn't draw the map first and force yourself to adhere the book to it. See where the story takes you, and mold the map as you go.