• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Measurements on maps?!?!

PrincessaMiranda

Troubadour
That's a great idea. This is how faerie lands in the old legends (and of course some modern fantasy) acts with regards to travel. Sometimes you travel for days and only travel a little bit, other times you travel for a few minutes and travel a great distance. It depends on the route taken and the abilities and magicks of the creatures traveling.

OMG! That was just the push I needed, the Fae helped create the thing! Of course it could have some of their qualities! In fact the Reigning wizard could easily manipulate her travels and even WHERE she ends up! Thus solving my problem where her going through each region would take FOREVER, he wants her to see his entire Hold and what she would rule. While also testing her to se if she is worthy. If he controls the journey ... OH THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

That would be Kim Stanly Robinsons 'Mars' series (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars) - essentially a heavy on the science long term terraforming work. Drilling operations and 'cometary impacts' to increase water and make the atmosphere denser - but even so still painfully thin, even in the basin regions.
Thanks! I have read about these, but have not gotten a chance to check them out myself. Do you recommend them?

It still leaves her with a lot of blank spaces to fill in, though.
I agree! That's where the fun begins!

@PrincessaMiranda: Thanks, but I was just elaborating on what Svrtnsse had started before me.

If your character has some sort of inner secret magick, then she could subconsciously be manipulating her travels as well. I'm glad you had the breakthrough you were looking for!

PrincessaMiranda

Troubadour
My qualm here is that you have an entire planet with essentially a single culture on it. Oh, you have different nations, but those nations all spring from the same two 'roots', and as such share a certain commonality.

You have room here for far more than what you have. Possibly your Druid/Wizard was working with others besides the fae? Maybe somebody else contributed a 'needed element' of some sort - somebody from an alien culture (Egyptian, Chinese, South Asian, African, etc - or better yet a group of these somebodies).

The Queen rules ALL the Fae, even the ones not quite termed as Fae, such as the Spirits of the Native Americans, (i.e. Coyote spirit, deer woman... ) to kappas and gremlins. The Fae weren't very interested in the world, just enough to leave their own mark. Plus the amount of time+ evolution and magical mutation have created a multitude of races and species that even EArth has never known. Like the Pantera Quipoli- Feline humanoids; cat dragons, Ribbon Whales, squirrel-like Peikas all the way down to glowing insects that live in caverns.

There is no lack of diversity in my world, trust me. :D

PrincessaMiranda

Troubadour
@PrincessaMiranda: Thanks, but I was just elaborating on what Svrtnsse had started before me.

If your character has some sort of inner secret magick, then she could subconsciously be manipulating her travels as well. I'm glad you had the breakthrough you were looking for!

... yes, that makes sense! You just opened up a whole bucket of meat for the bones of my story!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Thanks! I have read about these, but have not gotten a chance to check them out myself. Do you recommend them?

Very much so. Unlike a lot of SF, his science was solid enough to where it warrented serious discussion on a couple of astronomy sites I used to frequent.

He tracks a dozen or so characters across the full scope of terraforming Mars from start to finish over couple centuries. Said characters have different backgrounds and motivations - some want the terraforming to succeed, some do not want Mars terraformed at all, and some are in it for the power. Some work openly, others in hiding. A couple times they have to deal with what amounts to an 'invasion from earth'. And while there is romance and intrigue aplenty, there are also a couple people pondering the science aspects almost continually - this is what this installation does in the terraforming process, what we expect, and these are the risks.

My main objections are he might have way overestimated the amount of water, plus I don't believe he ever really accounted for the magnetic field problem.

rambled on a bit much I see.