• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Multicultural Justice League?

Mindfire

Istar
Go watch Hell on Wheels on AMC and then tell me he couldn't be John Stewart.

Whenever a musician or an athlete suddenly decides they want to be an actor, I tend to side-eye that real hard. Doubly so if it's an athlete who's decided to become a musician and an actor. Yes, I'm looking at you, Shaq. >_>

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Whenever a musician or an athlete suddenly decides they want to be an actor, I tend to side-eye that real hard. Doubly so if it's an athlete who's decided to become a musician and an actor. Yes, I'm looking at you, Shaq. >_>

Yes, it worked out horribly for Will Smith....

And Elvis, Ice Cube, Barbara Streisand, Mark Wahlberg....

Last edited:

Mindfire

Istar
Yes, it worked out horribly for Will Smith....

And Elvis, Ice Cube, Barbara Streisand, Mark Wahlberg....

And of those how many were great at both acting AND whatever they were before they became actors? Only Will Smith. But even taking all of them into consideration, they don't even come close to making up for Shaq, Michael Jordan, and all the other wannabe actors who crawled out of the woodwork in the 90s.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
And of those how many were great at both acting AND whatever they were before they became actors? Only Will Smith. But even taking all of them into consideration, they don't even come close to making up for Shaq, Michael Jordan, and all the other wannabe actors who crawled out of the woodwork in the 90s.
I'll give you the athlete bit, but all of the singer/actors named above were very successful, at least in terms of being prolific. Whether or not they are good is a matter of opinion.

taiwwa

Scribe
Eh, sure.

Of course, casting the villain won't raise many hackles. Casting a major character -- god forbid, Superman, Batman even, won't be happening.

I remember there was a fairly big backlash among...certain groups...when Idris Elba was cast as the minor Norse gatekeeper god in Thor. I thought he did a fantastic job personally, and heck, he was hidden behind the helmet the entire time anyways, but some people...

Then again, Norse legends hold special appeal among that set. Justice League probably not so much. But, as I said earlier, you will likely never see a major central heroic character change. And even then the overall structure will actually not be multicultural, just the appearances of the characters.

Ophiucha

Auror
Well, now that we know some of the casting choices for the Superman/Batman film, I must say that no amount of backlash for casting a black Batman or whatever could match the amount of backlash they are getting for casting Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor.