• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My first earthquake!

We get hundreds of earthquakes a year in the UK, it's just that most are under 3.0 magnitude and the only people who feel them are farmers and villagers living within a few miles. One or two a year are big enough to cause minor property damage like knocking slates off rooves. I've experienced 2 of about magnitude 4.2 in my life time, both during the night, which is unsettling when you're still half asleep and don't know what's going on. I think in an earthquake as big as this, 5.9, I'd have been a mess of panic and fear.

Generally developed countries have good structural engineering designed to absorb earthquake shocks, so I can't imagine the US east coast having too much trouble from that sort of stuff, but you never know, particularly with old buildings, buildings never intended to be permanent, and in places containing lots of stuff not fixed down. Good to hear you're safe, Black Dragon.

Yeah we get earthquakes all the time, here in the UK we tend to think of these things as happening elswhere, when in reality its just that we don't get them as strongly.

I remember a couple of years back while sat watching TV in the evening, the settee started to rock from side to side and car alarms started to go off, courtesy of an earthquake, quite an usettling but sort of exiting experience.

Same with tornadoes really we tend to associate them with the american midwest but we actually get them all the time over here, just not as destructive - though I do remember witnessing a tornado near skegness in lincolnshire that I later learned had picked up a large metal container with workmen inside and sent them flying into a quarry. And one time a scaffold built by the company I used to work for was blown over by a Tornado narrowly missing a passing car!

Never pays to be too complacent about the enviornment you live in - it may just bite you when you least expect it LOL

We just got hit by a 5.9 magnitude earthquake here in the northeast U.S. Where I live we've never had an earthquake before, and it was an unsettling experience. At first I thought that my building had been hit by a truck.

Thankfully no one was hurt (that I'm aware of), and there's no structural damage visible at my home or workplace.
You must live close to me! We just went through the same thing together! though I was driving and didn't feel anything... I came to work and everything was off-center from what I am used to. It was very odd for me.

We just got hit by a 5.9 magnitude earthquake here in the northeast U.S. Where I live we've never had an earthquake before, and it was an unsettling experience. At first I thought that my building had been hit by a truck.

Thankfully no one was hurt (that I'm aware of), and there's no structural damage visible at my home or workplace.

That is weird. I remember my first earthquake and I thought the same things. It felt like our house had been hit by something and there was a loud explosion-like sound - but when my brother and I went out to investigate - there wasn't anything. I sometimes wonder if we were imagining it....

Last edited: