• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My Magic System

Morgoth

Dreamer
I haven't had much time to work on my story lately (last thing I worked on was my pantheon of gods, which I posted here about) but I have come up with a magic system and I'm interested to see what people think of it.

So, humans can't use magic without the aid of objects imbued by it. The most common of these are crystalline orbs that are shaped from a substance found underground. They allow humans to connect directly with the world of magic, and absorb their surroundings into an orb. An orb can absorb (a limited amount of, and depending on the magicians skill) almost anything, from fire, to water, to sounds, to peoples attributes (such as speed or intelligence), and even to thoughts. So an incredibly skilled magician would be able to cast waves of intensely hot flame, deafening sounds, and steal knowledge from their enemies.

I still have to think of a name for the orbs, but anyway, I'm just wondering what people think, if they like it, if they can spot any flaws with it etc. etc.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
'Amulet' or 'Talisman'. 'Orb' would also work. Helps to vary the name in the course of the writing, keep words from being overused.

Queshire

Istar
Hmm......... I'd caution against having just one technique when others should be possible and should have been discovered. Even if you say the orbs are the most common, make sure they you don't over rely on them until it gets to the point that anything else is consider rare or exceptional.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
What percentage of the population can use magic, and how many of them are POWERFUL? Because if you can use items to absorb things, couldn't some sick mage just like suck all the happiness out of people or like put out all the town's fires one night? What's the equalizer to keep people from becoming too powerful? Stamina? I use stamina in my world. So basically, almost anything is possible, but when someone casts a spell too big for them, they get fatigues or pass out cold or even enter a coma or die.

I like the idea of sucking power into an item and storing it, just make sure some nutter can't run amok and wreak havoc. Unless that's your plot, then it works well because it's completely believable that it would happen exactly like that.

How does one train to become a mage, just out of curiosity?

I like the idea, and I agree with Queshire. Make sure humans don't over realy on them :) I think "Orbis" would fit it (Orbis is "Orb" in Latin). Therefore it will give it a unique name and it won't be just another "orb".

And just a suggestion that popped into my head when I read the idea. How about putting the orb into a gauntlet or glove? That way the humans won't have to actually carry the orb and have the alternative way of carrying it in a glove.

And why does it even have to be a glove? you can put it in weapons and other clothing, and then you'll have a flaming sword and such.. (and then of course, you can put a crazy organization that imbues the orbs into the bodies of their members)

Sorry for mumbling and playing with your idea :) Just suggesting some things while answering your post :)

Queshire

Istar
See, that's what I'm talking about, don't put the orb in a glove or sword when you can make the glove or sword magic instead.

Morgoth

Dreamer
'Amulet' or 'Talisman'. 'Orb' would also work. Helps to vary the name in the course of the writing, keep words from being overused.

Not sure about amulet or talisman but people simply calling them orbs would make sense I suppose.

What percentage of the population can use magic, and how many of them are POWERFUL? Because if you can use items to absorb things, couldn't some sick mage just like suck all the happiness out of people or like put out all the town's fires one night? What's the equalizer to keep people from becoming too powerful? Stamina? I use stamina in my world. So basically, almost anything is possible, but when someone casts a spell too big for them, they get fatigues or pass out cold or even enter a coma or die.

I like the idea of sucking power into an item and storing it, just make sure some nutter can't run amok and wreak havoc. Unless that's your plot, then it works well because it's completely believable that it would happen exactly like that.

How does one train to become a mage, just out of curiosity?

Every human has the ability to use an orb to connect with the 'magical force' however at first their connection is a small one and they won't be able to exert much control. Only a certain few have the capacity to extend their connection, and those that do must hone their skill for a long time before becoming adept at it. This avoids people becoming overpowered as they can only become so powerful in their lifetime. As for training, I'll probably make up some sort of wizard guild that would offer to train potential magicians.

Orbis sounds good, I'll consider that. I hadn't planned on having them put into swords or gloves, but I had an idea of putting them on some sort of armour for mages. This would be for the mages to absorb incoming attacks rather then storing power.

I like the idea because it's a strong base you can build on. (1) Since crystals can be in shapes other than spheres, the term "orb" has potential. If everyone calls them "orbs" they could be hard to recognize if shaped like a medallion. So, if they're rare, and people are looking for "orbs," it makes them harder to find. (2) Perhaps there are other materials that work, e.g. emeralds, rubies, etc., but are less effective = a poor man's version of magic, something a few lucky commoners might use.

I can see you having a lot of fun with that. But, if you haven't already, you should read The Way of Kings. There is something similar in there.