• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My World

Hello! I'm a big fan of fantasy books and I love thinking up stories of magic, warriors, and such. Although I've never actually tried to write any of it down. Recently I decided to try my hand with the story of my favorite characters. I had some issues with the plot making sense no matter what I did, that is until I finally realized the lack of consistency with my character's homeland/world is causing the problems. Being a perfectionist, I'm probably making a bigger deal out of this than it really is, but I would appreciate some feedback if y'all don't mind.

This is the first thing that sticks out to me as a potential problem:
Basically they live in a made up place located in Europe during the end of the middle ages (yes I know not very creative but I like it). I've pulled from different cultures like France, English, and Roman to create the culture for this world and even have a vague (still working this out) history of war and conquering to explain why different elements of these real cultures exist in my made up culture, but I don't see this explanation ever making its way into the story as it really has little to do with the plot. Things such as my character's names and discriptions of buildings are what closely resemble other real cultures. Some names are Benjamin Clements, Adrian Foster, Marius Magdelon, and Silas No Last Name Yet. So I guess my question is, would you buy this mix of cultures without knowing much more backstory than where the land is and it is in the real world? This is only a small example of a mix of cultures I've created and I really don't want to change anything, but I'm starting to worry if this is a good idea or not for my world.

Thanks in advance for your help! (also I'm sorry if I put this thread in the wrong place, but I wasn't sure which one it belonged in.)

Queshire

Istar
If it is clear that it is taking place in the real world and in the past, then yes, I think an explanation for the alternative history would be in order. If you keep it vague, make the fact that it takes place in the real world a hidden little easter egg for dedicated readers to find, then I don't think as much of the backstory would be needed.

zizban

Troubadour
Just write the tale and let readers figure out all is not what it seems. Readers will be pick up the little clues you leave (Charles XX? Say what? President of England?).

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I could imagine an instance where if you wrote this well enough you could fool some people in a good way that this country really existed. I wouldn't worry about getting the unnecessary history out. If the culture comes alive in the story people will believe it.

Max Cooper

Dreamer
Use eastern Europe as an advantage. Not many people know of the states, nations or peoples there during the Middle Ages and they have fun names like Magyars.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Heck with it. Go with an alternate 'fantasy europe' type deal. Different timeline, a universe where magic works, and there really are dwarves and elves here and there.

Creating worlds of your own I find easy especially when the culture of the British Isles has such a rich tradition of story telling, Illuminated manuscript is my thing and as an artist I first come from there. I paint or draw an illustration and go from there.