• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Names with a meaning - do they really make sense? Or am I just lazy?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I think it's nice to keep in mind, particularly if your story incorporates real life folk lore or mythology, as certain names could give readers the wrong idea, unless you make it plainly apparent that there is no connection.
One of our FMC's (we write ensemble, so it's a grab-bag) was born with white hair and ice-blue eyes. Parents named her Winter.

Her parents were wizards. I never said they were creative. :D

~Theletos~

Dreamer
One of our FMC's (we write ensemble, so it's a grab-bag) was born with white hair and ice-blue eyes. Parents named her Winter.

Her parents were wizards. I never said they were creative. :D
I mean, that’s straightforward enough. Honestly it should be a minor aspect to the character.

Karlin

Troubadour
I can't help but think of the Monkey King, who acquires different names as he goes along (in the original Journey to the West). Stone Monkey, Handsome Monkey, Sun Wukong, Great Sage Equal to Heaven, Pilgrim and so on. To an extent, these are titles, rather than names. Titles can be acquired over time.

I used a few names for Monkey, but my editor advised me to use one, as it would confuse the reader.

I tend to like names that tend to mean something, but aren't really related to the character at all.
So stuff like Blanc which is just black in another language. I don't do it for every character though.

One of my favorite name jokes is in Final Fantasy 7 Abridged.
Berret: What's your name.
Cloud: Cloud...
Barret: why would anyone name their kid that?
Cloud: mom wanted me to reach for the stars but she knew I'd only make it half way.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I tend to like names that tend to mean something, but aren't really related to the character at all.
So stuff like Blanc which is just black in another language. I don't do it for every character though.

One of my favorite name jokes is in Final Fantasy 7 Abridged.
Berret: What's your name.
Cloud: Cloud...
Barret: why would anyone name their kid that?
Cloud: mom wanted me to reach for the stars but she knew I'd only make it half way.
Just because I'm sure you want to be precise when you're in public, 'blanc' means 'white' in French, and that meaning (and the connotations that go with it) has been carried with it into many other languages.

Just because I'm sure you want to be precise when you're in public, 'blanc' means 'white' in French, and that meaning (and the connotations that go with it) has been carried with it into many other languages.
I am aware, it was quite late when I made that post but I was sure it was either white or black. Just didn't remember which one.

LittleOwlbear

Minstrel
I think names should reflect their parents and culture more than their own personality.
Like... Remus Lupin, how the fuck did your parents know you gonna be a werewolf someday?

People choosing their own name, it's very different concept. Although when that happens too young, you sure will get these teenagers calling themselves The Lord of Darkness or anything in their edgy phase. I hope they can rename themselves later in life. xD

Btw Tabaxis often do the same and they are often on-the-nose with it. Mine couldn't read and write well back then and called herself Yuvel instead of Jewel, or "Juwel" in German. :D
My trans characters do this too ofc, but they choose a different version of their old name or a new name they like, nothing meaningful behind it.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I think names should reflect their parents and culture more than their own personality.
Like... Remus Lupin, how the fuck did your parents know you gonna be a werewolf someday?

People choosing their own name, it's very different concept. Although when that happens too young, you sure will get these teenagers calling themselves The Lord of Darkness or anything in their edgy phase. I hope they can rename themselves later in life. xD

Btw Tabaxis often do the same and they are often on-the-nose with it. Mine couldn't read and write well back then and called herself Yuvel instead of Jewel, or "Juwel" in German. :D
My trans characters do this too ofc, but they choose a different version of their old name or a new name they like, nothing meaningful behind it.
We have trans characters, too. I ran across the term 'necronym' a while back and love it, so we're probably going to use it, soon. 😁

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I am aware, it was quite late when I made that post but I was sure it was either white or black. Just didn't remember which one.
Which is fine. I can barely remember my own name half the time. Just going forward, and not out of a desire to embarrass or hurt you but to help, it's just a good best practice to adopt that when you're unsure, you always take three seconds to verify. I do it every day, at least two or three times, because no matter how educated or how skilled or how experienced I may be, I will always have to verify at some point in the process that a word means what I think it means. Writers are held up to a higher standard. When we share our thoughts, grammar and spelling will be scrutinized and commented on.