• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Need a little advice about the ending of my book

ClearDragon

Troubadour
So I was making an epilogue after the last chapter. Thing is I wanted to show two separate events that happen after the main story. I am wondering if I should separate these events somehow or just have them both in the epilogue?
The two events have little to do with each other, but are reactions to the storyline and take place immediately after.
The first one is my main character talking with his adopted father about personal matters that where brought up during the action of the book.
The second is a few side characters discussing whether or not they trust the main character and what to do about the very unusual situation their all in now.
So any ideas?

ClearDragon

Troubadour
If the first one is about the main character directly you could have this one as the final chapter, or the end of the final chapter.

The second event sounds like a good epilogue.

Hey thats a great idea thanks a lot! I'll be adding the first part to the last chapter and making the second part the actual epilogue then :)

i agree except it's a bit odd to 'end' the book on a note of distrust for the MC. - that seems like it would only work if it was a set up for a sequel (and preferably the sequel was already written)

Ned Marcus

Maester
Both of these events feel as if they should be worked into the main body of the story. I agree with joshua mcdermott about the oddness of ending with distrust for the protagonist. Why do that? Are you setting up the sequel?

Demiurgess

Dreamer
I agree with the others about the necessity of the sequel.

For now, it feels like you tied up the plot, but the result of what the character did is not completely satisfactory - hence other characters pondering the predicament they are in. It can turn into an interesting plot twist, for example - we expected one thing, but that is what happened. But then the reader would definitely wait for the sequel.

ClearDragon

Troubadour
i agree except it's a bit odd to 'end' the book on a note of distrust for the MC. - that seems like it would only work if it was a set up for a sequel (and preferably the sequel was already written)

It was always intended there to be a sequel. I've got part of it written already.

I don't know. Having a sequel in the situation makes sense. Although, I have read older books that give hints to the world that comes after the events in the book. Moments that build anticipation for "what happens now", and there wasn't a "next book". I realized down the line that I was thinking about the consequences of those moments added in, like you are saying in your epilogue. Those moments or insights let me know to a degree that the world went on, their world went beyond the segment of time or events that were shown us, and the author gave us a hint of where it may go from there. These are usually older novels. I came to enjoy the underpennings of "where the winds blow next" even if I had to get off the ship, because my part in the voyage was finished.
Needless to say, I like being given something to think on even after the ending. Giving people the chance to use their imaginations, can make people fall for the book in new ways.

ClearDragon

Troubadour
I don't know. Having a sequel in the situation makes sense. Although, I have read older books that give hints to the world that comes after the events in the book. Moments that build anticipation for "what happens now", and there wasn't a "next book". I realized down the line that I was thinking about the consequences of those moments added in, like you are saying in your epilogue. Those moments or insights let me know to a degree that the world went on, their world went beyond the segment of time or events that were shown us, and the author gave us a hint of where it may go from there. These are usually older novels. I came to enjoy the underpennings of "where the winds blow next" even if I had to get off the ship, because my part in the voyage was finished.
Needless to say, I like being given something to think on even after the ending. Giving people the chance to use their imaginations, can make people fall for the book in new ways.

I see, yeah! My finished book is really just an introduction the fictional universe I'm creating. The epilogue is to set up the direction the sequel will go towards.