• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Need feedback for siren species concept

Erebus

Troubadour
I am interested in creating a reality based version of a creature from Greek mythology called a Siren. These were supposedly women that had certain avian features, and lured men to them with their beautiful voices. Once the men were caught off guard, they would be devoured.

In this world, sirens are an all-female species of birds that need human DNA in order to reproduce. The semen of a single male can be used to fertilize a bunch of their eggs, similar to fish. They exist in flocks and cooperate with each other during hunts in order to avoid infighting. Sirens prefer to sing in choir to allure their prey, and establish a pecking order where one gets to reproduce with the help of its sisters.

After the deed is done, the temporary alpha who got to get her eggs fertilized would share the body of the hapless male with the losers who got only to look. A meal is served, while the female goes laying her eggs in safety and let the others hunt for more prey. This variety of siren gives birth like a regular mammal, and her sisters watch over the pregnant alpha to keep her safe.

These creatures nest by the sea cliffs like the pigeons, it wouldn't be unusual that they lose the newborn to elements, sickness, rivals, etc, thus keeping an adequate culled number. This prevents the seas from being overrun by siren.

Welp, I'm adding Sirens to my setting now. They'll be different than yours, but I've been looking for creatures to add to my setting aside from manticores, chimeras, basilisks, demon monkeys and hydra.

Voydemain

Acolyte
These particular sirens sound like Succubi with a bit of harpy in the mix. Normally sirens are commonly identifiable similar to mermaids. Sometimes even being indistinguishable or the same. But that based the common idea of how sirens are used. It is your story and thus swapping fish parts for bird parts are up to you. At the very core are what makes a siren is their dangerously alluring singing. Which is why in some stories it is seen as a trait or skill rather than a race. After all, if all of the sirens victims never survive then who will tell the stories of what they look like?

Welp, I'm adding Sirens to my setting now. They'll be different than yours, but I've been looking for creatures to add to my setting aside from manticores, chimeras, basilisks, demon monkeys and hydra.

What kind of setting are you going for? Sounds like you are looking for creature suggestions. Ever considered sphinxes, demons, or gorgons? Perhaps something of Asian descent such as kitsunes or jorogumo? There is also Native American creatures such as the puckwuggie. Not to mention the more universal folklore of dragons and lesser overdone myths of the shadow people.